Living the Lifestyle Thursday, December 20

savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for December below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday - Podkey (Bob)

Today's topic: What's left?

Counting today, T minus five days and counting. So what's left on your personal "to do" list? Are you pretty well done or will you be in panic mode mashing everything into the available time? Still shopping, or is it all done and wrapped? Do you find time for you, and your life style, with all that still needs to be done? What's the plan?

Alternate question: Christmas cookies or pies?

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    I'm actually in pretty good shape from a shopping view. I'll take the girls out tonight to get their gifts for mom (they pick, I pay). I coerce the girls into doing my wrapping for me. Once they see how inept I am, I get shoved out of the way and they take over. Very Tom Sawyer of me. Given I'm out of work, DW and I agreed to try to keep it lower key this year, so I've finished what I need to do. DW and MIL will cook Christmas Eve and Day dinners, so I'm off the hook there (the only two days DW cooks!).

So, in principle, I have no excuses for not staying on plan. I'm trying to learn a new career in a very short window, which is adding some stress, but so far it hasn't manifested itself in filling my face.

Alternate question: When my mom was alive, always both. But she made the cookies; kids were not allowed in the kitchen then. Once grandkids came along, she always made cookies with them. She is long gone, so now, neither in our house.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,549 Member
    This has been an efficient year for me. I had everything bought early. I wrapped and delivered it all last weekend. Now, it's vacation time!!!

Pies. Always pies.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    All the gifts for my colleagues have been purchased and distributed. The two out of town gift packages were mailed at the post office yesterday so should arrive before Christmas day.

I still have some baking to do for a party tomorrow evening as well as for Christmas day. I need to make another trip to the grocery store for a few ingredients.

I have not tackled sending Christmas cards yet. I always put those off.

Cookies! I've never really been a fan of pie. The one batch of cookies I'm making for Christmas are pecan squares which are basically pecan pies in a bar shape.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    I’m not really in it. The yoga studio I go to is in the back of a, well, let’s say New Age store. At some point I’ll go in there and DW some kind of jewelry or doodad.

Alternate: Christmas is another occasion for pumpkin pie .
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,696 Member
    We are in deep do-do. Trying to get the tree at least up today & decorate tomorrow. I might be paying some shipping fees to get things done.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    After my surgery in Nov and rehab in Dec our normal routine is way off.
    DW wants Papa John pizza and garlic sticks Christmas Eve!

Don’t know what on Xmas?

Cookies or Pie?

BOAF! LOL :smile:
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,197 Member
    Still darting around doing last minute things. DW working on getting out the Christmas Cards to family and close friends cost more now to send them than the cards cost. She and I are very frugal at this stage in our life as far as gifts. It more what do we need rather than what do we want. I ask her why don't I just take you shopping for a gift because I want her to gave what she wants. We have one Son whose single and still sorta at home most nights. I got something to oick up for him. DW has already gotten the family presents and just have to wrap them for our Family Christmas party on Saturday night. We don't have much family gift exchange being older now and no grandkids we pretty much have a couple of Cousins who are close by to celebrate and get together for dinner and desseerts.

DW and I this year will spend Christmas together as usual but an elderly 2nd cousin that we are close to will be joining us. We're have Prime Rib as a departure from Turkey or Ham which suits me to a tee. DW is going to prepare a low cal choccolate pie dessert.

Still got to decorate the tree clean up the place and then we might be all set.

Bounus Question?
    Most likely just the Christmas Coccolate Pie Dessert. No cookies or Pie allowed in the house this year for me although I have some store bought Publix Cookies that no one ate last Sunday evening at a Church Deacon's meeting. Might have one but just studying that one through.

SW 400.8
    CW 339.0 🙂 4.4 lbs
    1st 335.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

61.8 lbs Total Loss

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,327 Member
    Well I thought I was done, but DW informed me yesterday that she had stockings prepared for her daughter and her boyfirend and me and it would look odd if there was no stocking for DW as well so I guess I better go out and get some stocking stuffers today.
    COOKIES!
    When I was a child it was one of my favorite days. when my mother baked xmas cookies. I got to lick the bowls and beaters and then have cookies warm from the oven, and the smell through out the house was heaven. Now today my DW bought a large bucket of toll house cookie dough at Costco yesterday so her daughter and her boyfriend can make some for them selves and then take the remnants of the bucket back to Atlanta with them when they leave.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited December 2018
    Counting today, T minus five days and counting. So what's left on your personal "to do" list? Are you pretty well done or will you be in panic mode mashing everything into the available time? Still shopping, or is it all done and wrapped? Do you find time for you, and your life style, with all that still needs to be done? What's the plan?

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a grinch. I chose not to have kids. Being somewhat fed up with the way the holiday has been so commercialized, I don't do the gift-buying thing anymore. I look for small and simple joys. For the last several years, I've made contributions to charitable organizations. Right now I have no particular plans for Christmas. If conditions are right, I might find a hunk of lakeshore or a wetland for some photography or possibly even help at a local soup kitchen--something I've not done before.

Often-times, some last-minute plan will come together and I will spend some part of the day with immediate or extended family. I think my weight management program has helped to make me more appreciative of those relationships. I will certainly enjoy the food at those gatherings, but I find I'm more mindful of and grateful for spending time with family and friends than I used to be.

Now that I've moved and things are settling down a little, I've reprioritized walking with the dog. This is a much smaller property than she's used to, but she's a mix of sight- and scent-hound, it's as much the sniffing that wears her out as the activity. We've had a few 4 +/- mile days this week. It brings me great joy to see her enjoy her time--and to see her pass out from having worked her brain when she gets home (and back to the couch).

Alternate question: Christmas cookies or pies?

Do I really have to choose?