Keto can cause Amenorrhoea?

Larkspur94
Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
So I've been keto for 3 months. I started on a period. Then a month in I got my period on time. So no concerns at this point. Then come the next...It didn't come. In over a decade of periods, I'd never been late, but I waited a week just in case. Still nothing. I'd skipped a period. Figured diet change with calorie restriction (roughly 30% deficit) and weight loss could have caused it and decided to wait and see if the next still hit. Online sites said if you go 2 periods that you should see a doctor.
So the next was due yesterday. Hasn't happened. I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow, booked appointment over a week ago I think since I was concerned regardless.
I also don't really have much libido so maybe not ovulating?

Looking at this site >>https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-and-womens-hormones#section2

It states that some women can stop having periods or irregular periods on a very low-carb diet.
Wondering if any other women here experience this.

Should I go to moderate carb (about 100g total) or maybe have a cheat day each month where I eat over 200g total carbs to rebalance? I currently do <20g net which is <50g total.
I like keto. It makes me feel good and energised. I look and feel so much healthier. This is the only issue I'm really having. I'd prefer the cheat day over switching to moderate if it's plausible.

I'll let you know how the doctors goes and blood results when I get them. I'm also going to a gynaecologist in a weeks time, for the first time (never got around to it, been too afraid).

And just so you all know, I've never been sexually active so 0% chance of pregnant. I'm 24 so not menopause.

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Mine has been absurdly all over the place since doing keto. I've had where I've gotten 2 in one month, where I've been abnormally late, etc. I just don't care anymore because I've experienced such amazing overall benefits of keto.

But yeah, TOM has been beyond whacked.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    It seems to be a hormonal thing that occurs to varying degrees and also lasts different lengths of time for many people.
    Hormones are stored in fat and also eating a higher healthy fat diet helps hormone production. I think it has less to do with carb restriction and more to do with fat.
    Honestly, I believe it’s a matter of resettling into a new normal. Mine was unpredictable for like 2 years. Especially when you consider that prior to keto I didn’t have one ever because of my hormonal IUD.
    I don’t believe it’s anything harmful. Just irritating to deal with the irregularity.
    I’m nearly 4 years in now and even though I shouldn’t have one, I do. It’s mostly on a schedule now too.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You daily goal is like 1100 calories a day, and on many days you aren't even hitting that.

That seems like a very steep deficit for someone young.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    You daily goal is like 1100 calories a day, and on many days you aren't even hitting that.

That seems like a very steep deficit for someone young.

I'm 5' 5'', currently 131lb. Don't do weight lifting so not much muscle weight. Approx 25% BF (based on measurements). Not very active (close to sedentary but I go by lightly active for TDEE), less than 2k steps a day not exercising. Leisurely walk 2/3 times a week, 40-60 mins for relaxation. Lose a pound a week.

Thursday 13th – 1054
    Friday – 1047
    Saturday – 1292
    Sunday – 1212
    Monday – 1086
    Tuesday – 777 (admittedly this day is low, I’m sure I had a snack I forgot to log, can’t remember what it was. But The previous week I had a day with quite a lot so I figured this made up for it. (Sat 8th. Didn’t add cals from quite a bit of vodka. So, pre-vodka 1509)
    Wednesday – 1209
    Thursday – 1271

I find some days I’m too full, or I don’t have enough carb allowance left for a snack of nuts which are calorie dense. I’m hitting 1200 more often at the moment. My TDEE is around 1600. Haven’t been very active this week either as busy with xmas plans and have a cold, so TDEE likely been lower at about 1450.

---

Anyway, been to doctor. The surgery I go to is anti-keto but regardless, she does suspect it could be fat and weight loss. She’d be more concerned if it was 6 months so to check back if I go another 3 months or so. Had a blood test, but not for hormones as she didn’t think it was necessary.
    I’ll be cheating on xmas, lots of carbs, so maybe my cycle will kick back into gear. Previous comments here have eased worries some. We’ll see how my bloods are.