Fatty liver

Options
gypsy8080
gypsy8080 Posts: 25 Member
I tried low carb in the past, and it works for me, but I fell off the wagon. In October, I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver and a hiatal hernia, and had a slew of tests run. My gallbladder is also a problem as it's contracted and they're concerned it's not fully functioning. My primary care doctor is recommending mostly vegan foods and the FODMAP diet. She tells me to stay away from fat for my liver's sake. Can anyone give me their experience with keto and liver/gallbladder problems? My gut tells me I need to lose weight to fix this and that keto is the way, but my doctor is scaring me.

Replies

• gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience but have seen several you tube videos that fatty liver is caused by carbs.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    As above in midwesterner85's comment. Fructose is the big concern - I just re-read Gary Taubes "The Case Against Sugar." It reiterates that.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your doctor is scaring you. I have NAFLD too. I suggest seeking out a second opinion. My doctor told me some people are just more genetically disposed to it than others. A person weighing over 300lbs may not have it, but a person weighing half that can. It's not fair, but it's life. She told me the best thing to do was lose pounds, maintain a healthy weight, and eat low carb. You can still die of old age with NAFLD without it causing any damage. So you're not harming your liver yet. Talk with another doctor, hopefully one that's current on medical research. I think you'll feel better about your situation. <3
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I have been keto since October 2018.

Should have been October 2016 - typo...
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I listened to this episode this morning, the host doc mentioned how his patients have all cured NAFLD since going keto. The next episode is going to cover it in more detail. http://lowcarbmd.com/episode-9-dr-ethan-weiss
    (also, Dr. Weiss plugs his latest breath tester gizmo, which looks overpriced...)
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    NAFLD can be managed with a keto diet, however I am guessing the concern your doctor has is not the NAFLD as such, but your problematic gallbladder.

The role of the gallbladder is to store bile and concentrate it - the bile is then released in response to chemicals in your stomach. The problem with a keto diet that is high in fats is that the gallbladder will need to release more bile. This might be an issue in your case - if your gallbladder is not fully functioning, then this could lead to gallstones. So, the typical medical advice here is a low-fat/low cholesterol diet.

That said, there seems to be a bit of research underway at the moment indicating that the reverse might be true and that diets high in fat might actually be a decent treatment for gallstone disease.

I'm hesitant to suggest you go against the advice of your doctor but this might be worth having a look at:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can do keto vegan, and you can do keto without the high quantities of fat if you have sufficient body fat to metabolize. It's harder to do it since that restricts available foods, but I started as vegan keto and was mostly vegetarian for a while too, so it can totally be done.

https://onnit.com/academy/vegan-keto-diet/
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

I was gonna say! I've seen you around here longer than that ;)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

I was gonna say! I've seen you around here longer than that ;)

I know! I read someones comment and saw my own start date was wrong. I need to proof things better before pressing "post reply."
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've had a whole slew of issues lately trying to get my digestive enzymes right. I had my gallbladder out in December of 2000, and then I found the NOW Brand Super Digestive Enzymes, which changed my life. I had some other complicating factors, and slid back into Carbville, and the enzymes became too strong, getting me diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and other issues. So I dialed back and began using the Solarway Digestive Enzymes (less Betaine HCL, less Ox Bile - Porcine and less of it, and a few other differences) and I've done okay with those. I had to add in a bile binding acid for the beginnings of a peptic ulcer, but now that is all leveling back out since I dialed back to the other enzyme. As I shift back into the lower carb range, I'll have to go back to the higher level of enzyme.

I did experiment with Betaine HCL and apple cider vinegar on their own, but the NOW enzymes did me best will on full keto (on especially higher fat days, I even had to use 2 enzymes sometimes for optimal digestion). I would think that some research in this direction might help you, since your Gallbladder isn't functioning well at the moment. Depending on whether it can be healed, a low carb, higher fat diet is the long term "fix" for stones and low function - as long as there isn't disease or other infectious problems present, but only your doctor can tell you that...

Good luck!