Anyone Doing IF (Intermittent Fasting)?

Options
K9Lover
K9Lover Posts: 82 Member
Anyone else doing IF? I've been experimenting over the past month and, so far, I'm very encouraged. There's good science behind the concept and, for me, it's pretty easy to fit into my lifestyle. It's not really what to eat so much as when to eat. There are different ways to do IF and right now I'm trying to decide between two options: 5:2 (5 days feed, 2 non-consecutive days "fast" with 500 calories) or 16:8 (16 hours/day fast, 8 hours/day feed).

Anyone else trying this?

Replies

• AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I don't eat between 6pm and 7am. But that is because I don't like eating at night. I am a morning and afternoon eater by nature, with a light dinner. By the time dinner time rolls around, I am winding down with wanting to eat. Since my husband is the polar opposite, I still cook pretty big dinners, I just don't eat that much and save it until lunch the next day, if there is any left. I do weigh myself every morning before breakfast, so it should be pretty accurate with an empty stomach.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I did the 5:2 for two weeks. On feed days I ate TDEE -30% which is around 1800 cals for me. I lost one pound the first week and gained it back the second. Since I eat mainly fruits and veggies, I don't think this plan was for me. It was difficult to eat 1800 cals.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing IF by the book, but do occasionally skip a day eating. Kind of like rebooting a computer, my system seems to run more smoothly when I do.
  • 6nine12
    Options
    I'm actually working on practicing intuitive eating and have recently added the 6-9-12 rotation diet. Seeing some success finally.
  • C1131
    C1131 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hoo boy, I'm a definite 'no' on this one. I first tried fasting (under the guidance of my mis-guided pediatrician) when I was 12. I did the rotation diet in grad school. In the end what I think they did for me was train my body to resist weight loss with a finesse that is quite uncommon. Hope they do better for you, but not for me. Been there, done that!