Reminder: Low Carb is not about starving yourself until you're skinny.

Options
13»

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This whole thing is a decent read. It's pretty anti-low carb, but it does get the calorie information right.

Interesting thing that I learned while reading about the stuff mentioned in this article, the person who popularized the idea of counting calories was also promoting intermittent fasting way back then. While I find myself naturally eating two meals a day, usually in the afternoon and evening, I don't encourage IF for weight loss.

https://tuftsmagazine.com/issues/magazine/finally-end-counting-calories
    “In the short term, calorie counting works great,” said Dariush Mozaffarian, dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts. “If you reduce your calories, whatever the composition of your diet, you will lose weight for a few months. That’s why all fad diets work initially.” But eventually, the body will fight back and the weight will return.
    Which is not to say the Atkins diet hasn’t helped clarify a key lesson: that strict calorie counting is unnecessary. “Where the Atkins diet was correct was to ignore calorie counting. It has no calorie limits,” Mozaffarian said. “And that sort of blows the calorie-counting hypothesis out of the water.” Within the past year, two studies—one published in February 2018 in the Journal of the American Medical Association, another in November 2018 in BMJ—reported significant weight loss in adults who didn’t count calories.
    Like much of the science on weight control, not every expert agrees about focusing on portion sizes. “If you are eating foods likely to cause weight gain—foods rich in rapidly digesting refined starch and sugar, sugary drinks, or processed meats—then, absolutely, eat as small a portion as possible,” Mozaffarian said. “But, if you’re eating foods that help the body’s usual pathways for weight control, improve metabolism, and augment health—foods like minimally processed fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, nonstarchy vegetables, whole grains, plant oils, yogurt, and perhaps even cheese—there is little evidence that portion control is relevant.”

I would argue about the example foods that "augment health" from above, but the idea is right.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Eating low-carb addresses and repairs the cause of us getting fat. Losing the excess weight is a side-effect of fixing the underlying cause. It's time to stop thinking we need to try and attack the symptom. We need to address the reason we're fat. Not just starve ourselves until we're thinner and still have the problem waiting in the wings to put the weight back on.

From "Why We Get Fat" by Taubes.
    Health experts think that the first law is relevant to why we get fat because they say to themselves and then to us, as the The New York Times did, “Those who consume more calories than they expend in energy will gain weight.” This is true. It has to be. To get fatter and heavier, we have to overeat. We have to consume more calories than we expend. That’s a given. But thermodynamics tells us nothing about why this happens, why we consume more calories than we expend. It only says that if we do, we will get heavier, and if we get heavier, then we did.

Imagine that, instead of talking about why we get fat, we’re talking about why a room gets crowded. Now the energy we’re discussing is contained in entire people rather than just their fat tissue. Ten people contain so much energy, eleven people contain more, and so on. So what we want to know is why this room is crowded and so overstuffed with energy—that is, people.

If you asked me this question, and I said, Well, because more people entered the room than left it, you’d probably think I was being a wise guy or an idiot. Of course more people entered than left, you’d say. That’s obvious. But why? And, in fact, saying that a room gets crowded because more people are entering than leaving it is redundant—saying the same thing in two different ways—and so meaningless.

Now, borrowing the logic of the conventional wisdom of obesity, I want to clarify this point. So I say, Listen, those rooms that have more people enter them than leave them will become more crowded. There’s no getting around the laws of thermodynamics. You’d still say, Yes, but so what? Or at least I hope you would, because I still haven’t given you any causal information. I’m just repeating the obvious.

This is what happens when thermodynamics is used to conclude that overeating makes us fat. Thermodynamics tells us that if we get fatter and heavier, more energy enters our body than leaves it. Overeating means we’re consuming more energy than we’re expending. It says the same thing in a different way. Neither happens to answer the question why. Why do we take in more energy than we expend? Why do we overeat? Why do we get fatter?