This January I Will...

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    So far I’ve done my posture exercises each day ( I did 2 days on the second to catch up). They are terrific! I’m finding doing them right after my yoga makes a great cue.

@M310 , glad to hear from you! I too need to get back to being faithful about logging and eating healthy. I vote for more fun. I makes getting healthy easier.

I’m going to check out the Posture Makeover app. Thanks for the suggestion, @77tes!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @littlebear0121 and @nikitashah100, I think your goals for this month, getting more sleep and moving every day, are fantastic goals to have! Good for you!

And @MadisonMolly2017, you have such a great system for outlining and tracking the progress you make on your goals, that it just makes me smile. There sure is a lot of sodium in foods, isn’t there?
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Denise these are such awesome ideas! I love the focus on gratitude- did you do the GLAD reflection by writing in a journal? I also look forward to following how your work on improving memory!

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    @littlebear0121 and @nikitashah100, I think your goals for this month, getting more sleep and moving every day, are fantastic goals to have! Good for you!

And @MadisonMolly2017, you have such a great system for outlining and tracking the progress you make on your goals, that it just makes me smile. There sure is a lot of sodium in foods, isn’t there?

Thank you @themedalist ! Yes, there sure is!

Do you have any suggestions re: treadmills. Features you use a lot or those that are not necessary? I think I need to have an exercise solution for these colder, wetter days!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,759 Member
    Options
    @themedalist , what is your plan for improving your memory? That sounds like a great idea.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Denise these are such awesome ideas! I love the focus on gratitude- did you do the GLAD reflection by writing in a journal? I also look forward to following how your work on improving memory!

No, @eatmindfully, I don’t write them down, I just mentally run through them. But writing them down is a great idea! It will give me a terrific list to look back on at the end of the year. Plus writing things down is recognized as a great way to remember them. Now I just have to decide if I want to write them down in a notebook or online through Penzu.

Thanks for the idea!

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yea! A new month, in a new year! Hope everyone had a delightful holiday!

1. My goal for this month (This January I will..."): Work up to drinking half my weight in ounces of water daily
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Fill up my water bottle every time I get up from my desk at work. Stop drinking coffee by 10 a.m. and switch to water.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. Getting up from my desk. Getting up from sitting at home. Using a red or teal steel water bottle...the colors catch my eye.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily!
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.) Star on calendar. Positive self-talk - See? You DID IT! Allow myself a cup of decaf or tea.
    6. What help do you need from us? Just being here being your supportive and insightful selves. Love this group!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? Success at the end of January will mean I no longer have to work so har to get my water in, because it will just be a habit. Also, the swelling in my fingers will be down enough that I can wear my wedding rings again (My number 1 NSV I'm looking forward to!)

Great goals on here! So inspiring! I found myself thinking "oh! I need to do that too!" or "Oh, great idea! I'll have to remember that!" :wink:

I'm also working on talking nicer to myself and not beating myself up so much. I am so much nicer to everyone around me than I ever am to myself. Maybe this will be February's goal, but for now I'm trying to catch myself. I have no room for so much negativity in my life!!!!

Tracie
    Word for 2019: tenacity
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options

No, @eatmindfully, I don’t write them down, I just mentally run through them. But writing them down is a great idea! It will give me a terrific list to look back on at the end of the year. Plus writing things down is recognized as a great way to remember them. Now I just have to decide if I want to write them down in a notebook or online through Penzu.

Thanks for the idea!

[/quote]

Thank YOU! I Just looked up Penzu and am starting my own online journal! Very excited!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed my daily meditations. I usually follow a guided meditation but lately I have enjoyed using the time with some soothing music to meditate. I can now comfortably meditate for 7 minutes. Now my goal by the end of the month is 10 minutes and then go from there.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Jan 8 Update:

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal.
    * ✅Keep appealing groceries in the house
    * ✅Always have precooked lean meats available
    TO DO: I have to get Lean Meat issue solved✅✅Did it!

* Pre-measure ✅nuts,q fruit-only jam, ✅Kashi cereal, & ✅peanut butter in 1/2 &/or 1 oz. servings
    THIS REALLY HELPED ME TODAY!🎉

* ❌Always have appealing pre-washed/cut veggies & salad greens prepared.
    I didn’t but I washed & peeled 3 large carrots & enjoyed them greatly!
    TO DO item, too!

* ✅Replenish tea selection DONE
    * ✅Do pantry & fridge clean out (neither are bad, but for fresh start feeling!)DONE
    * Remind myself that I had headaches, some tummy pain, queasiness, was more tired, and my mood was less positive... ❌Forgot to do this. Forgot to do this again...

Do This For YOU! Focus on Health& a happy life ❣

Jan 1✅
    Jan 2✅ (pre-planned eating out)
    Jan 3❌ moderate, but Salty & high fat
    Jan 4 ❌High fat, high sodium, high sugar: felt awful afterwards.
    Jan 5❌but smaller portions, no dessert, and better choices.
    Jan 6 Ate Out but wisely
    Jan 7 Ate Out but wisely

—>> Jan 8 ate out unwisely & it triggered sugar cravings - sad to say for the first time in 14 months I totally succumbed.

I noticed I tend to eat more each time my weight drops down into the 153.x’s.

Was beating myself up, but stopped. I’m still down 73lbs, healthy, and walking faster than I have in a long, long time. I WILL figure this out.

STILL Optimistic going forwards. I forgot how much sodium is in the food & I feel queasy. I feel confident I can stop eating out now because of those two things❣

Jan 3 reminded me I need to have cooked lean meat in the fridge.

Jan 4 made me face up to how much sodium & fat are in restaurant foods.

Jan 5 reminded me that once I eat out, it can take me awhile to stop it.

Jan 8 reminded me that usually after two days with moderate, in-control eating out meal “See you can do this!” The third day went crazy. It’s my addiction pure & simple, just like the alcoholic who has a couple of days of one moderate drink k the third day drinks the bottle.

I will solve this.

Moving forwards! I will do it-
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    I tried posting this before with all the details but lost it so I’ll just do a quick post on my January goal.

I will meditate using the Calm app every day. I am inspired by your posts. Success is that I will realize the benefits of meditation and continue practicing ay least 5/7 days.

I started on the first but didn’t set my trigger so I forgot 3 times, but 6/9 days is a good start.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    OK, I give up on figuring out how to make my plan to increase my sleep hours for this month. I'm at a loss in figuring out a cue or small actions and so forth that works for me, so I am continuing to work on the drinking water early in the day, or to increase water in during the day, especially if I had a busy morning with exercise delayed til later. I had been doing much better in the morning, it's during the day that I need to consistently increase.
    So:
    1. This January I will continue to drink water first thing every morning.
    2. NEW: I've also, just this week, started to put back into my morning routine adding green juice into my water in the morning. I will figure out how to remember to add it in, in the morning, as I do not do this the night before.
    3. Small actions: Continue to refill morning water bottle for tomorrow when I finished it today after exercise. I will continue to make a check mark on my exercise calendar how drinking water early in the morning went this day.
    4. NEW for January trigger or cue: Have the water bottle placed where I exercise, I found myself doing this last month and it worked better.
    5. How often? Every morning
    6. Immediate reward? As I'm sipping on the water I'll get ready to exercise, linking both activities together. Having a focused start to my day will make me feel good, and help me not become distracted with something.

On rest days or busy mornings I will have to make sure to drink more water during the day, or put a water bottle with my keys the night before if I'm going somewhere early. NEW: I will need to find a better cue to remember to keep water in my insulated cup and have it somewhere more noticeable if I'm staying home to be more routine. I also started to add in more herbal tea during the day, especially when it is colder.

7. What help do you need from us? Continuing to be involved in this group will definitely be encouraging, and fun. Reading your posts is always encouraging and I learn much from everyone!
    8. What does success look like to you at the end of January? I'm hoping it continues to make my mornings flow easier having something to remind me it is time to actually start my day however it is planned, not just exercise days. Seeing more check marks than missed days at the end of the month will be encouraging just as seeing my exercise calendar get filled in does for me.
    Feeling better and more hydrated is always a good thing.

Once again, thank you for another This Month I will.... to start our year off in the right direction!

:flowerforyou:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Jan 9 & 10 Update:

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal.
    * ✅✅Keep appealing groceries in the house
    * ✅✅Always have precooked lean meats available HUGELY HELPFUL!
    TO DO: I have to get Lean Meat issue solved✅✅Did it!

* Pre-measure ✅nuts,q fruit-only jam, ✅Kashi cereal, & ✅peanut butter in 1/2 &/or 1 oz. servings
    THIS REALLY HELPED ME Jan 8-10!

* ❌❌Always have appealing pre-washed/cut veggies & salad greens prepared.
    I didn’t but I washed & peeled 3 large carrots & enjoyed them greatly!
    TO DO item, too!
    ——> Need to work on this!!

* ✅Replenish tea selection DONE
    * ✅Do pantry & fridge clean out (neither are bad, but for fresh start feeling!)DONE
    * Remind myself that I had headaches, some tummy pain, queasiness, was more tired, and my mood was less positive... ✅✅Jan 9&10 Remembered to do this!!
    ❌Jan 6, Jan 8Forgot to do this. Forgot to do this again...

Do This For YOU! Focus on Health& a happy life ❣

Jan 1✅
    Jan 2✅ (pre-planned eating out)
    Jan 3❌ moderate, but Salty & high fat
    Jan 4 ❌High fat, high sodium, high sugar: felt awful afterwards.
    Jan 5❌but smaller portions, no dessert, and better choices.
    Jan 6 Ate Out but wisely
    Jan 7 Ate Out but wisely
    Jan 8 ate out unwisely & it triggered sugar cravings - sad to say for the first time in 14 months I totally succumbed.

I noticed I tend to eat more each time my weight drops down into the 153.x’s.

Was beating myself up, but stopped. I’m still down 73lbs, healthy, and walking faster than I have in a long, long time. I WILL figure this out.

STILL Optimistic going forwards. I forgot how much sodium is in the food & I feel queasy. I feel confident I can stop eating out now because of those two things❣

Jan 3 reminded me I need to have cooked lean meat in the fridge.

Jan 4 made me face up to how much sodium & fat are in restaurant foods.

Jan 5 reminded me that once I eat out, it can take me awhile to stop it.

Jan 8 reminded me that usually after two days with moderate, in-control eating out meal “See you can do this!” The third day went crazy. It’s my addiction pure & simple, just like the alcoholic who has a couple of days of one moderate drink k the third day drinks the bottle.

I will solve this.

Moving forwards! I will do it-

Jan 9 & 10 No eating out, good deficits, exercised & figured out the eating was not addiction ...it was the result of calorie deficit that was too large.

I’m back on track. Was rewarded with new lowest weight. 3.2 lbs to go. 75.1 lost.
  • themedalist
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB, your statement:

“I'm also working on talking nicer to myself and not beating myself up so much. I am so much nicer to everyone around me than I ever am to myself. Maybe this will be February's goal, but for now I'm trying to catch myself. I have no room for so much negativity in my life!!!!

Tracie
    Word for 2019: tenacity”

struck me. Not beating yourself up so much and being as nice and compassionate to yourself as you are to others is a WONDERFUL goal for this year! And tenacity is a great word for 2019!

• themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I tried posting this before with all the details but lost it so I’ll just do a quick post on my January goal.

I will meditate using the Calm app every day. I am inspired by your posts. Success is that I will realize the benefits of meditation and continue practicing ay least 5/7 days.

I started on the first but didn’t set my trigger so I forgot 3 times, but 6/9 days is a good start.

I think this is a great goal for January, @nebslp. Meditation has changed my life. I can’t believe that I’ve seen such an impact from just 10 minutes a day. There are lots of good meditation apps available like Calm, Headspace, and Insight Timer that @PinkyPan1 is using. I’m going to work towards both an morning and evening meditation this year.

I hope you see wonderful benefits from cultivating a daily meditation habit!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @texasgardnr, I like your strategy for drinking more water. Seems like you’ve got great cues and rewards and a good strategy for making it all happen. I like lime juice in water a lot too!

I am sorry to hear that sleep remains elusive. Why is that? Can you identify the likely reasons, such as having too much on your mind before you go to sleep? Sleep challenges are common for so many of us and if you wanted to share more information about your situation, likely some of us might have some suggestions on what we’ve tried?
  • themedalist
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You are doing great, @MadisonMolly2017! Love your detailed updates! And congrats on being so close to your goal weight!
  • themedalist
    Options
    And how is it going for you, @M310, @eatmindfully, @littlebear0121, and @nikitashah100? Let us know if we can help!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB, your statement:

“I'm also working on talking nicer to myself and not beating myself up so much. I am so much nicer to everyone around me than I ever am to myself. Maybe this will be February's goal, but for now I'm trying to catch myself. I have no room for so much negativity in my life!!!!

Tracie
    Word for 2019: tenacity”

struck me. Not beating yourself up so much and being as nice and compassionate to yourself as you are to others is a WONDERFUL goal for this year! And tenacity is a great word for 2019!

[/fquote]

@PackerFanInGB
    I’ve been actively working on this, too. I had one really bad few hours where I was saying stuff that in hindsight was pretty horrible...you’re not pretty, you’re not as smart as you used to be, etc... it’s rare for me, but I figured out the triggers & began rebutting myself. Yes, you are! Look at that smile! Remember the time you figured out this or that... and moved back to my usual happy self. Happens about once a month- generally when I’m bummed by uptick on scale.

The self-talk works!