This January I Will...

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, @MadisonMolly2017! Love your detailed updates! And congrats on being so close to your goal weight!

@themedalist
    Thank you! It’s been a scary couple of weeks, and I usually not quite so detailed, but I really needed to focus in order to change those all-important small changes to accomplish the big change.

Thanks for the wise structure you create a red for the I Will Challenge!
    And...how are you doing, our Fearless Leader?! ♥️
  • jroslyn
    jroslyn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to Denise for hosting this site and to all who are so generously sharing their own experiences. I am a complete newcomer and am coming in very late in the month—but I have so far successfully been keeping to this goal since Jan. 1, and I hope that posting it here will help keep me going for the rest of January (and beyond).

1. This January I will log all my meals in the MFP diary, every day, being as accurate as possible in reporting portion sizes and ingredients.
    2. The small actions to accomplish this goal: log immediately after each meal whenever practical; check before bed to make sure the daily entry is complete.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I have moved my phone charger to a different location (downstairs instead of in my upstairs bedroom), so every time I go to plug in my phone to charge it before bedtime I am reminded that I need to complete the entry for the day.
    4. How often will you do your new habit? At least daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Clicking the “complete diary entry” box on the diary page at the end of the day with a little mental “well done!”
    6. What help do you need from us? Post your own updates—it is so encouraging to have role models and solidarity. Also, please be patient with me as a newbie—I don’t do any other social media, and this is the first time I’ve participated in MFP discussions or groups. Let me know if I do something that isn’t right for this forum.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? Looking at my food diary and seeing entries every day, with accurate enough information to inform next month’s habits and planning. This might even include some weight loss, but I’m trying to focus on improving my dietary habits rather than fixating too much on the number on the scale yet. Keeping track of what I eat is the first step for me.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @jroslyn Welcome to the group👏🏻🙂! Your goal sounds great and is one that I need to consider doing as well. Focusing on developing habits to help with awareness without fixating on scale makes a lot of sense. And I like your practical daily trigger also.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, @MadisonMolly2017! Love your detailed updates! And congrats on being so close to your goal weight!

@themedalist
    Thank you! It’s been a scary couple of weeks, and I usually not quite so detailed, but I really needed to focus in order to change those all-important small changes to accomplish the big change.

Focusing on the small details and small changes is what leads to big impacts. Gardeners first need to worry about soil planting depth, soil composition, and shading needs before they worry about where to put all that harvest.

I like the “I will“ structure a lot too, @MadisonMolly2017. The weekly challenges had merits, but they were ultimately unsustainable for me. By specifying our own goal, action plan, small steps, cues and rewards, while leveraging the wonderful support and accountability that’s available from this group, how can we not succeed?

I’m doing well, thanks, but my posture goal this month is a challenge. I think I’m learning firsthand that one of the fundamental rules about habit change is true: you can’t make a habit stick if it’s not something you really want to do. Can’t do it just because you think you should do it. I’m going to give it a bit more time through the end of the month, but this might be something I need to let go.

On the flipside, all of my monthly habits from 2018: the food logging, the daily salads, more decaf coffee, pre-bedtime yoga poses, and getting at least 300 active minutes per week have now all been folded into my daily routine. I’m happy about that. There’s bound to be some Teflon habits. :)
  • themedalist
    edited January 2019
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @jroslyn Welcome to the group👏🏻🙂! Your goal sounds great and is one that I need to consider doing as well. Focusing on developing habits to help with awareness without fixating on scale makes a lot of sense. And I like your practical daily trigger also.

I completely agree with @nebslp! We are delighted to have you join our group, @jroslyn. Logging your foods accurately everyday is a terrific habit to focus on this January. And your move-the-phone trigger is fantastic. Visual cues are so helpful!

Welcome to our group! <3

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options

@themedalist

Focusing on the small details and small changes is what leads to big impacts. Gardeners first need to worry about soil planting depth, soil composition, and shading needs before they worry about where to put all that harvest.

I like the “I will“ structure a lot too, @MadisonMolly2017. The weekly challenges had merits, but they were ultimately unsustainable for me. By specifying our own goal, action plan, small steps, cues and rewards, while leveraging the wonderful support and accountability that’s available from this group, how can we not succeed?

I’m doing well, thanks, but my posture goal this month is a challenge. I think I’m learning firsthand that one of the fundamental rules about habit change is true: you can’t make a habit stick if it’s not something you really want to do. Can’t do it just because you think you should do it. I’m going to give it a bit more time through the end of the month, but this might be something I need to let go.

On the flipside, all of my monthly habits from 2018: the food logging, the daily salads, more decaf coffee, pre-bedtime yoga poses, and getting at least 300 active minutes per week have now all been folded into my daily routine. I’m happy about that. There’s bound to be some Teflon habits. :)

@themedalist I appreciate that you found a way to make your leadership of this group sustainable for you!

I I agree about really wanting the change. I find if I know the compelling reasons for the change, I am more e cited & committed to doing it.

I do know my posture improved due to arm/shoulder physical therapy because my posture had to be good to have shoulder in correct alignment to allow arm’s range of motion to improve. Once I knew the reason, I applied myself fully.

She had me such tummy straight back to spine & press front ribs in and down hard.
    Also Really Squeezing shoulder blades toward spine as if squeezing walnut, and dropping shoulders. Took a few weeks but now I prefer this posture.

I’m facing the same issue with my goals these days, however. I have a BMI of 23. My HDL is the best it’s been in my adult life & is now normal. All my labs are great, even with some restaurant food. My exercise is significant & daily. It’s hard for me to eat less for vanity’s sake. I’ll have to think about this!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 thanks for sharing your posture improvement techniques. I remember 43 years ago after my first son was born walking around with my tummy tucked in all the time to get back into shape. It became a habit quickly. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as faithful after the following 3 babies and now my posture is in sad need of repair! There is SO much to work on. I’m glad we try to focus on one small change at a time even though we may be working on more than one area.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 thanks for sharing your posture improvement techniques. I remember 43 years ago after my first son was born walking around with my tummy tucked in all the time to get back into shape. It became a habit quickly. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as faithful after the following 3 babies and now my posture is in sad need of repair! There is SO much to work on. I’m glad we try to focus on one small change at a time even though we may be working on more than one area.

@nebslp Yes, I’m having to ease up on number of things I’m trying to do - haven’t had enough time for fun/relaxation!

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , it sounds like the exercises you got from PT are similar to the ones I’m doing on my posture app.

I have been doing my posture exercises daily, so my January goal is going well. And I am enjoying them so much!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 , it sounds like the exercises you got from PT are similar to the ones I’m doing on my posture app.

I have been doing my posture exercises daily, so my January goal is going well. And I am enjoying them so much!

@77tes oh, great to know!! I’m quite pleased with the change :) I’m glad it’s going well for you!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to my gyno for a regular visit and after stripping down and propping myself up on the table under my paper blanket, I sat there for about 15 minutes and the nurse came in to say she had been called to the hospital for a delivery and did I want to wait awhile to see how long she would be gone. I was sitting there basically naked so I wasn't about to postpone the dreaded appointment to do it all over again! So I spent the next 15 minutes meditating, not perfectly, but when she came back to tell me it would be another half hour or so, I felt totally refreshed. The nurse gave me a robe and blanket, I grabbed my iPad and listened to a book and played a game until the dr came in. It was all good and I wasn't irritated or impatient for a minute. I'm meeting my January goal of 5/7 days of Calm meditation every week. I do it before I go to bed and I feel so relaxed that a lot of times I almost fall asleep.

Wow! That is quite the testimonial.
  • MZSTEF4U
    MZSTEF4U Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This January I will...

Log every bite I eat into MFP.
    Move every day.
    Weight train 3 days a week.
    Stop letting the scale define me.
    Complete every weekly task I put in my Reminder Binder.
    Love myself more.
    Drink water in the AM so as not to disturb my sleep.
    Make time for myself.

• nebslp
    Options
    @MZSTEF4U That’s quite a list! I think meeting even one or two of those goals would be called success. And by doing ANY one of these you will meet your “love myself more” goal.
  • MZSTEF4U
    MZSTEF4U Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • jroslyn
    Options
    With about 10 days remaining in January, I’m happy that I’ve stuck with my goal, which is “This January I will log all my meals in the MFP diary, every day, being as accurate as possible in reporting portion sizes and ingredients.” It’s giving me a much better sense of what, when, and where I eat, and although I haven’t set any real goal around reducing my intake, knowing that I will have to record every morsel is already setting a bit of a break on my bad habits. Also, the habit of recording is getting easier both as it becomes more automatic and as I get more of my usual recipes and meals loaded into MFP.
  • jroslyn
    Options
    Prgirl39mfp: it sounds like some of our goals are similar but you’re a step or two ahead of me! Putting on exercise clothes first thing sounds like a great start to the day. And I love the focus on stress reduction and mental wellness—I hope that happens and that you’ll share more of your strategies for getting there.
  • themedalist
    Options
    jroslyn wrote: »
    With about 10 days remaining in January, I’m happy that I’ve stuck with my goal, which is “This January I will log all my meals in the MFP diary, every day, being as accurate as possible in reporting portion sizes and ingredients.” It’s giving me a much better sense of what, when, and where I eat, and although I haven’t set any real goal around reducing my intake, knowing that I will have to record every morsel is already setting a bit of a break on my bad habits. Also, the habit of recording is getting easier both as it becomes more automatic and as I get more of my usual recipes and meals loaded into MFP.

This is a terrific update, @jroslyn! Congrats. Food logging is an eye-opening experience, isn't it? And MFP makes it pretty easy with the frequent foods, bar code scans, recipe saves, and copying option across meals.

Well done!
  • themedalist
    Options
    The Posture Makeover app @77tes suggested is great! Just what I was looking for. I am finding myself paying more attention to my posture and I like the guided nature of the app.

How are your "This January I will..." goals coming along?