Any keto endurance athletes here?

Options
Just curious if there are folks here who participate in endurance sports while doing keto. Any tips on getting started with keto and training (I will be doing a winter race series starting near the end of February, and am looking at doing my 2nd full marathon in mid-May) and things you wish you knew when you started would be helpful! TIA!

Replies

• FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    While I'm not sure if it's considered endurance, I am a fairly seasoned half marathoner. This will be my first winter on keto and training, so I'm glad to work through things with a partner. I've got a race a month scheduled between now and May - 2 5K (Feb, and Mar), a 10K (April) and the half in May.
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would love some tips as well. While I have been working out consistently since starting Keto in April, my running has been limited to some warm-ups and HIITs on the treadmill during boot camp classes. Looking to run a marathon Hoping to run a marathon in November.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek. If you are new to keto, a race at the end of Feb. is too soon to even fully become fat adapted.
  • klwittke
    klwittke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a long distance triathlete (Ironman distance) but I am just switching over to ketogenics. I'll certainly post updates.
  • bermeoa
    bermeoa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have run a half marathon and several 10K, 15K on keto, moderate distance, but still. Once fat adapted you will be just fine without eating during the run, only pearl of wisdom: salt tablets
  • GFC781
    GFC781 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fast forward to about 25 minutes in for the recap,.. train low, race high
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtE_PNedBuE&list=PLrVWtWmYRR2Cr0_P9Ba3V27wLhCq8GCcj&index=26&t=38s