Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Wednesday, 1/2/19

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for December below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday - Podkey (Bob)

Today's topic: How's 2019 goin' so far?

When I was a kid, I was told that I should do on New Year's Day what you wanted to do the rest of the year. I don't know where that line came from, but let's assume it's true relative to your weight management plan. What did you do yesterday that will serve you well from a weight management perspective for the remainder of 2019?

Replies

• minimyzeme
    Options
    What did you do yesterday that will serve you well from a weight management perspective for the remainder of 2019?

I had a little weight creep the last couple weeks of 2018--no real surprise except there wasn't any major foodfests--truly a cumulative effects kind of thing I guess. So, I've been even more mindful of what I eat the last few days.

Yesterday, I continued in that realm. I ate mostly no- or low-point foods, I drank plenty of water and I got some activity in. I think one of the more subtle things I did though was to make sure to spend a couple hours outside, even though it was cold (~30), cloudy / dark and windy (~25-30 mph).

I have found over the years that my mood is tied to sunlight, or lack thereof. Unfortunately, so is my food intake. For whatever reason, I'm prone to face-stuffing on dark days, especially if I don't make a point to get outside for awhile. Obviously, Winter in NYS is a challenge from that daylight standpoint.

I do have a "Happy Light" and I think it helps a little, but I find I really do best if I get out for a while. So, I took my camera and went up to the lake shore (Ontario) yesterday afternoon. It was freakin' cold but it definitely helped my mood and kept me away from food. I did bring some snacks with me, but that was far better than what I might have done otherwise. It raised my spirits and helped prevent me from mindless eating.

I don't always have or make the time I need to spend outside, but it is one thing that helped with my weight management plan from yesterday that I will do my best to incorporate into the rest of the year.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,848 Member
    Options
    So I got into a gym at the hotel we are staying at 1 day with some activity in this year only 364 to go.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,941 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I restarted the Couch-to-5K running program, I skipped alcohol, and I tracked my caloric intake on MFP (and was at/below my target for the day).

Definitely a good start to 2019.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,531 Member
    Options
    Well we had our annual Apple Waffle breakfast which I make each year, but I think I will leave that as an annual event. This is the first time we planned on some snacking food and special dinner that we passed on eating. Partly due to me not sleeping the night before due to shoulder pain, but mostly just deciding not to. We went to the movies and didn't eat or drink anything either. My exercising was cancelled due to the shoulder and lack of sleep but overall I do like the start of the year by not eating alot of food that now will be spread out over several days.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a good session at the fitness center then got a bunch of personal financial stuff caught up. I also ate appropriately and got my veggies in. I also did a few bike related tasks although the weather was not good for being outside yesterday so no actual riding. But I'm ready for my big ride on Saturday!

So I feel like I started 2019 on a solid footing.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,943 Member
    Options

[What did you do yesterday that will serve you well from a weight management perspective for the remainder of 2019?]

Yesterday slept in for awhile got up did my WI thing then coffee and breakfast. DW and I just did some stuff around the house then she prepared our traditional new years day meal. Ham, greens, and blackened peas. She made some corn muffins and I had just one. This meal was shared with our pastors son who didn't have anywhere to go for the day. We then watched a Hallmark movie. I took him home came back went to bed.

DW and I did some planning for the year prior to eating our dinner. For us it was just a relaxing day. We're super excited about 2019 and ready to take it on.

SW 400.8
    CW 342.6  🙂 - 1.0 lbs
    1st 335.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

58.2 lbs Total Loss
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of behaving on the first day how you want to behave the rest of the year. Except for the amount of time I sat in front of the TV, I did ok.

I was mindful and tracked my food yesterday. I ate part of a very sweet treat and threw the rest out so it wouldn't be a temptation. I made a delicious cake for a NYE party and purposely left the remains behind because I knew I would devour all of it yesterday. (I've been having trouble having only small amounts of sweets for the past few months, so my strategy, for now, is to have none in the house.)

Thanks for the reminder about the Happy Light, Kim.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Tracking on MFP day 2. It’s ok.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Watch the college playoffs had a few beer and some left over food snacks from New years eve. New Years dinner no desert. Didn't do poorly. If I didn't have the beer it would have been good.
    Time to move on in a downward direction and get with it meaning getting my head in the game seriously. I've been messing up way to long.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    What did you do yesterday that will serve you well from a weight management perspective for the remainder of 2019?

Got a Blue Dot!
    But did not move much.

Need to do more on Activities and better eating on balance (veggies)
    For dinner was a chicken sausage and turkey burger.

• minimyzeme
    Options
    Yesterday I restarted the Couch-to-5K running program, I skipped alcohol, and I tracked my caloric intake on MFP (and was at/below my target for the day).

Definitely a good start to 2019.

Steve, good for you! I missed my C25K goal in 2018, but am committed to it again this year. Do you have any tips to share?

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,941 Member
    Options
    minimyzeme wrote: »
    Steve, good for you! I missed my C25K goal in 2018, but am committed to it again this year. Do you have any tips to share?

My only goal at this point is to complete the C25K program (again). After that, I'll have to devise a running goal (like a weekly mileage goal).

The best advice I have is to take things slow. I'm over 50 now, and I have not been a life-long runner. As such, I seem to get running injuries pretty easily. I believe these injuries come from ramping up too quickly. So...take it slow!
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    Thanks @steve0mania . One of my running friends really stressed that point too--along with investing in proper / good running shoes. They also recommended not being afraid to take my time with the training, even if it meant repeating a / a series of the daily assignments.

I have no aspirations of becoming "a runner" but I want to up my game a little and improve my fitness. I'm excited about starting this program. I see it as similar to WW in that hopefully it provides a doable structure to advance to the objective.

Thanks for your input and good luck to you on this round of C25K!