ArtemisRuns
ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
nomnomnom.gif

And I feel hungry.

Replies

• mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    hi cb :) i know it's quiet. i guess it's tha time of year maybe? or the point in every challenge when people lose steam, or just quit paying attention. i prefer to think they are out there giving their workout a polish and putting time into getting themselves healthy. :) i know i'm terrible about logging on weekends. i just....don't really. there's not an excuse i can use. and last week i took 2 days off of work just because i didn't want to go. which also meant not logging. (well and to work on the bathroom. the accursed bathrooooooom!!!!!) but don't lose steam on me!!!! you're doing great!

i ramble a lot, and i don't want to get on anyone's nerves. (i also talk to myself alot, so i get lots of weird looks in the grocery store....) so i try not to post here toooo much. but- that's one of the beauties of this challenge is that it's not just me talking at people- i want yall to post to your little hearts' content. questions, comments, challenge ideas, and totally unrelated whatever pops into your head. i know you've got things to say. :) you all do.

did you try adjusting your carbs and proteins? it's something i have to keep an eye on myself. i cannot be trusted with carbs. ;) last year when i started all of this, i was eating 150-250 carbs a day and around 30-40 g protein. i had tons of energy most of the time, but when i crashed i crashed HARD. and i had a few signs of carb overload. well, maybe not overload but that i wasn't getting enough protein. everytime i would work out i'd sweat like i was trying to win a contest, my skin was breaking out, and a lot of times i just buzzed like a fridge. i was losing weight, but then it came to a halt. so someone suggested readjusting, and it worked like a charm. i'm not so hungry all the time, and i don't just spontaneously start dripping. my skin cleared up (35 and still getting zits...and wrinkles....not fair....) another bonus is that my blood sugar isn't all over the place anymore (as long as i keep watching what i eat.) i used to have crashes every afternoon. not diabetic, not hypo either but just very poorly controlled blood sugar. i have to eat. if i get busy and forget, my body will remind me in no uncertain terms that that was a dumba** thing to forget and boy am i going to be sorry in bout 32 seconds if i don't shove something in my facehole. so i started eating at regular intervals throughout the day doing (at least close to) a 40 30 30 split between carbs, protein, and fat. (sometimes the fat goes a little over when i eat eggs and avocados in the same day.) seems to keep me evened out. i also take a multi-vitamin with a b complex in the afternoon. it get me through the afternoon slump.

that brings me to another thought. my mom has dementia and it's progressed faster than anyone really thought it should (or even would.) she's almost totally dependent on my dad and their friend to do most things. she can go to the restroom and shower without help but she can't dress herself or cook and she has about 5 second attention span.oddly enough when she gets the notion, she can turn on their sound system like it's no big thing. i haven't been able to figure out where the power button is. a few weeks ago she was tested for a genetic...mutation? i guess...anyway, this gene prevents her from processing b vitamins they way they should be. and she never seemed to show the signs of vitamin deficiency, although really there aren't a whole lot of outward signs and she's been on a host of medications for a loooong time. HRT, blood pressure, thyroid, anti-depressants... so her complaining of being tired or not feeling right was sort of like walking through a minefield. maybe they never got it right. they don't know what causes dementia at all (they can't say for sure that it's alzheimer's or not) but there's research taht says maybe it's partly due to malabsorption of particular nutrients. now i'm kind of worried that i might have that genetic marker. i may not, and even if i do i wouldn't know what to do about it anyway. she has to take shots every other day. i don't want to do that... although hubs would have no sympathy for that since he has to take shot 3 or 4 times a day. he'd just call me a weenie. :) so i guess i'll just take my vitamins and stay as healthy as i can. what choice do i have?
  • katonaroof
    katonaroof Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i have been mia. just so much going on that i haven't even been able to wrap my head around what kind of goals i want to set for myself.

so, i'm starting kinda small and just doing one goal - starting today (i hope, i was supposed to do it for thing this morning) i'm going to do jillian's ripped in 30 program & see how it goes. i've put it in my reminders & on my calendar & now i just need to do it!

re: carbs & proteins - i don't even do 40-30-30, i do less carbs than 40 & more protein than 30 & a long time ago, i adjusted my food log to reflect the percentages i do so it doesn't feel like it's always screaming at me to eat more carbs... altho it still does tend to do that. i just feel better when i don't eat grains so why eat them... altho i'm still a sucker for a good chocolate cake (or even a bad one).

oh, already feel myself waning on doing jillian's workout today. ugh! i think once i tell you guys what i'm doing, i loose momentum - how self defeating is that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta run - have a phone call in 15 minutes that i have to prep for. have a great day!
  • ArtemisRuns
    Options
    It seems like workouts really help control my appetite. I didn't run this morning b/c I had to take the kids to the Dr. early for checkups and shots. So I feel hungrier today than on days when I run in the morning. It's weird. I will run late this afternoon, since the weather is awesome and the air is cool. Maybe that will help the late night cravings.

Lately I have been craving having an evening drink. I don't drink everyday, but I love to have a beer, glass of wine or even a rum and Diet Coke before bed. Not having that makes me lay awake longer. Last week I cut way back and this week I haven't had any alcohol at all. This Friday we are visiting a local winery with some friends and I am really looking forward to that.

I just ate a salad and drank a lot of water. Maybe a Greek yogurt in my near future for a little more protein.

mercury I am rambling just like you. :laugh:
    -Christy
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    Katie!!! You're back!!! I was beginning to wonder about you :) you gave me some pretty good advice on getting started a while back- fake it til you make it ???? start anywhere- but just start. If you can get a little momentum going its easier to keep going. We're cheering you on.

Christy- cardio days make me less hungry but after starting some weights, the day after I feel like a bottomless pit. But I'm kind of wondering how much of that is tied to boredom at work. I pack breakfast lunch and snacks so all my food is right next to me all day. I'm trying to break the 7-11 habit (kind bars and diet drinks get kind of expensive when its an everyday occurrence, especially when buying for me AND hubs) so I've changed my walking route at lunch. Plus it's been oppressively hot lately so it's just too far. Cool and breezy in the evenings??? I'm so jealous right now. Although the hot weather has chased me back into the pool. It's a nice change from the machines but it makes it hard to do any strength training after. But I'm doing it anyway. ;) if I can just keep my appetite in check, I'd love to see the 140's just once. I have managed to maintain the same weight since January, but I'd love to get this last 10 off. Which means I actually have to work at it. The first 20 were pretty easy compared to this....
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    I love that gif btw :) they don't show up when I check at work. :(
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have been terribly busy at work and have only had the time to read through posts and not comment on a lot of them. However, I have completed several cases (thankfully) and have a few more minutes to spare and can finally comment:) yay!
    I haven't been focusing so much on my macros. I know that its really important and I probably should. But I'm pretty much just trying to eat decent and not go overboard on anything. I stick with the same thing pretty much every morning, a Jimmy Dean Delight's breakfast sandwich and an apple and a coffee with whole milk and splenda. I like the whole milk cause it just tastes richer but doesn't have as many calories as half and half. Ok, rambling;) However, thinking about the fact that I'm training for a triathlon in three weeks makes me wonder why I didn't also train my nutrition as well. I've read through all the posts on what's best to eat and when and stuff like that...but it just seems like so much work. I feel like I've put in a whole lot of work just to get to where I am to do the things I'm doing right now. Perhaps I can just work on the nutrition a little later...I mean, I'm doing OK with the training, not feeling like I hit a wall or anything; and I'm not trying to win the thing...right??
    Oh a separate side note...I checked the roster for the tri I'm doing and so far there's only 2 "Athenas" signed up...if that's the case I might very well place by default...how freak'n funny is that!!! :laugh:
    KATIE!!! Nice to see you back:) You got this with the 30DS! I'm seriously going to check that out after Sept 7th...there's been so many people posting about it that I just need to get my butt into gear and do it too...plus I need to tone up like nobody's business;)
    Has anyone tried the new Crystal Light Strawberry Lemonade Liquid stuff?? OMG I'm in :heart: !! Definitely going to up my water intake for sure...probably full of stuff I shouldn't consume...but eh...:ohwell:
    Christy- I definitely think working out helps cut my appetite...not that I ever work out in the morning but if I don't work out the day prior the next day is a horrendous day for me eating-wise!! And if I know I'm not going to exercise...just forget it, I may as well throw in the towell for calories...my brain just goes into "me want carbs" overdrive!
  • ArtemisRuns
    Options
    That's so funny, I just got back from a long hike and was ravenous. The only thing readily available was a Clif bar which I devoured in about 60 seconds flat. However I drank a big glass of water and I feel like I can make it until supper now. Grilled chicken ...yummy
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    I could eat a mountain of clif bars. And larabars. Omg. Larabars. So deceptively caloric, but If you are really needing a little sugar pick me up, they are heavenly. So are lunabars and kind bars. It's Kind of like crystal lite and mio and Gatorade etc. grown up versions of kids food. :) I started getting SF Hawaiian punch packets for work. Because I hate the water at work, and crystal lite is pricey they way I drink it. And HP makes me feel like a kid. :)

Glad to see you're still on top of things Sara :) it's coming up fast and you'll do great. You inspired me to get back in the pool :drinker: as for the nutrition, just to make sure you are properly fed and watered on race day, maybe throw in some of the suggestions you've read. It's not all or nothing, just what you can handle and what you feel might be important. After all it probably won't be your last one, so it's a good opportunity to try some stuff out.