HELP

I recently started Keto, and I’m having a major issue. I have the urge to urinate constantly, 24 hours a day, like doing the pee dance all the time. Is there anything I can do to help this symptom? Ease it just a little?
I’m going to my doctor on Wednesday to make sure it’s not a UTI, but I really don’t think it is. I tried azo, and nothing changed, in at a loss at the moment.

Replies

• Just an obvious one here and I’m sure you’ve thought of it but you need more fluid during keto- are you drinking enough ? (Depending on your weight likely minimum 2 litres per day).
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,576 Member
    Initial Days of Keto it happens to everybody it will go off soon. Don't stop to take water do as per the req in keto diet.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Totally normal if you are just starting out. Your body is getting rid of the junk it doesn't need. This is where that major 10 poundish type weight loss comes from in the first 2 weeks that many people experience. Next thing to watch out for is the keto flu as keto tends to zap the sodium from your body. Go stock up on powerade zero and start downing a few liters a day and you may never have to deal with it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Pretty normal. :)

When you drop carbs you use up glycogen which results in water and electrolyte lost. Also, lower carbs cUses lower insulin; insulin controls water and electrolyte retention so less insulin equals water and electrolytes list.

This is why some will lose a few pounds of water weight in the first couple if weeks.

Make sure you replace lost electrolytes or you'll start getting fatigued and headachey, possibly followed by moodiness, stomach and BM issues, muscle weakness and aches or spasms. Most need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day, and some will supplement magnesium too. For reference, 2300mg = 1 tsp of Salt.
  • zeds_dead_bb
    zeds_dead_bb Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks everyone! I thought there was something really wrong, glad its not just me. I have been drinking a cup of chicken broth a day to help with sodium and have started taking a magnesium supplement. I’m trying to up my water game, but still not drinking enough for my body. Only drinking like 1 and a half to 2 liters a day. Better, but still trying to improve.
  • Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 53 Member
    Very interesting... same thing happened to me at day four. I didn’t connect the two
  • knorris84
    knorris84 Posts: 141 Member
    Be careful adding in magnesium if you don't feel that you need it. I learned this the hard way. I started supplementing magnesium and potassium and omg I felt like my blood pressure was through the roof. I couldn't hardly stand I was so sick. I never did it the first go around and always felt fine so I know it was all the extra supplements. I've had several tell me the same thing. My legs and muscles just ached all day yesterday and so I took magnesium last night and it helped a lot, but may not want to take it everyday just to take it. In MOP that is.