breastfeeding

Options
queenidia
queenidia Posts: 4 Member
Any breastfeeding mamas out here? I’m breastfeeding my 14month old and about to embark on eating Keto - and tips or suggestions?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I did not BF while Keto, but I'll guess it will be extra important for you to stay hydrated and get at least 3000-5000 mg or more of sodium a day to replace list electrolytes (which will help you stay hydrated). When you lower carbs you will lose water and sodium due to lower insulin and used glycogen stores. You'll need to replace sodium to avoid an electrolyte imbalance and dehydration.

I would consider easing into Keto by lowering carbs slowly. I'd hate for a sudden switch to affect your milk supply. :)

Welcome to the group.
  • queenidia
    queenidia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - will keep that in mind!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I didn't keto while breastfeeding, but talking to others, you need about 500 more calories and 50g more carbs than non-breastfeeding women to account for the needs of milk production.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    I Bf'ed while keto with my youngest. From about 3 mo to 15mo. Ish. At 14 mo, your supply is well established so as long as you keep electrolytes up, stay hydrated, and don't cut your calories too low, then your supply should remain fine.
  • mistyrodz
    mistyrodz Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have a 21-month-old that I'm still breastfeeding. I am barely able to pump 1 oz now when I pump at work. Before I was barely able to get 2 oz, so it's not a HUGE drop in supply but still concerns me. It's probably my body just telling me it's time to wean, but I'm not really ready and my little guy definitely isn't ready. I've been serious about keto for the past 3 weeks or so, and I'm pretty sure that most days I'm getting way less than 20g of carbs. I'm sure I'm at a really big calorie deficit too, so maybe that's what's hurting my supply? I drink tons of water though, but I need to increase my sodium.

I think the main factor in my low milk supply (besides the fact that my baby is older) is the fact that I'm a nurse who works 12 hour shifts and sometimes I will go 14 hours without pumping or feeding him and that's usually 2-3 days in a row. I really need to figure out how to take breaks and pump more often while I'm at work. Usually I only manage to do it one day a week, but my other two shifts are often so crazy I don't have time. Luckily, I should be starting to work from home in about a month or two, so that will help a lot!
  • knorris84
    knorris84 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm don't really know about keto and breastfeeding together, but I do know that my supply decreased big time when I couldn't pump. I had to pump the entire time bc my son was a premi and spent a long time in the hospital. By the time I was able to try to breastfeed he didn't really take to it too well. I did however pump from day one. I actually was able to get milk the very first time I pumped and my supply was really great. The nurses and all were completely shocked. I actually had so much milk at the hospital that I was told to stop bringing more. I'm saying all this not to toot my own horn or anything bc gah that would just be terrible. The reason I say all of this is bc once they told me I had too much milk there I decided to back off on pumping so often. I put longer and longer times in between pumps and my supply dwindled so fast. I was barely producing enough to feed him by them. He ended up on formula due to reflux and all but seriously, I suggest you start pumping like crazy again as often as you can! I've read that you can increase your supply back but you have to be willing to work at it and pump like a mad woman for a while for you body to be like, hey this baby still needs milk! Oh, and definitely don't do all those restrictions right now. You have to have the calories to be able to produce the milk. Like I said I'm new to the while low carb way and well after that part of my life, but I do know you need to increase your calories not restrict them! Your job HAS to give you time to pump! It's the law! 😉 Hope this helps!
  • littlemarylela
    littlemarylela Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting about 2 weeks ago 16:8 and started Keto 2 days ago. Breastfeeding my 9 month old. He has been nursing every couple of hours at night the last two nights, which makes me think he’s not getting enough, I will check my sodium and drink more water. Today is my first day tracking macros, and I did 61 g carbs 27 g fiber. A little high, but my macros are good so I just ate more calories total. I don’t have a way to test ketones yet.
  • wolfmama020807
    wolfmama020807 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My son is going to be 7 months and I just started keto on saturday 💗 my sister gave me an amount I should do and she added extra since I’m breastfeeding . He really only drinks at night now and a lot of the time for
    Comfort and I still don’t want to lose my milk. I’m going to start pumping often to see if it affects me.