SlimFast Keto - Thoughts???

LadyBlanks
LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
I just came across an ad for SlimFast Keto and was wondering if anyone tried them and what your thoughts were.
«1

Replies

  • alffmfp
    alffmfp Posts: 23 Member
    One of the things that I love most about LCHF is getting to eat delicious food. SlimFast makes me sad but if it is a tool you would find useful, this journey is yours.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    I've been watching the SF keto stuff for a few months now. The full rollout was sometime this first quarter 2019. The stuff that's out already is mostly really OP though. I like the products themselves because I can get the fam onto keto if they're using slimfast's meal plan.
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Why pay the high price? Costs much more than real food.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    That's awesome!!! I would totally keep keto shakes around my cube for those days when I'm stuck in meetings and can't grab my lunch...I will have to look for these, thanks for the heads up!!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've not used shakes but don't object to others using them if it works for them.

    I've not looked at the nutrient profile for this particular product but several years ago when my Mom was critically ill, her docs recommended a Slim Fast product over Ensure or Boost based on nutritional profile.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    I looked up the nutrition information.

    First, they aren't premade shakes, so are they really handy to keep around? Eh.
    Second, they contain mostly palm oil, not coconut oil.
    Third, they have ingredients such as silica, carrageenan, and dextrose. Depending one how strict you are, I avoid those.
    Fourth, they have 9g carbs per serving. If you count total carbs, that's really high, lol!

    I did see their MCT Oil is non-GMO pure coconuts, C8...that has me interested in price and taste...
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    I was curious about trying their peanut butter cups. I looked at the ingredients online first and they didn't look too bad. However, when I saw them in the store for $10.99 for I think 5 of them, it was a hard pass. I can get off my butt and make my own fat bombs for that price.

    I already use their advanced nutrition shakes which are expensive enough but work well for me from time to time to get my protein and vitamins for the day. I have zero interest in paying twice as much for them to write Keto on the container.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2019
    Put some PBFit, grounded flaxseed, a packet of equal or stevia, unsweetened chocolate powder and heavy whipping cream into a bowl and mix. Heat up for 30 seconds in the microwave. Put in the freezer for 40 minutes and you get a brownie type pudding with minimal carbs. Lots of ways around the expensive stuff.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    I looked up the nutrition information.

    First, they aren't premade shakes, so are they really handy to keep around? Eh.
    Second, they contain mostly palm oil, not coconut oil.
    Third, they have ingredients such as silica, carrageenan, and dextrose. Depending one how strict you are, I avoid those.
    Fourth, they have 9g carbs per serving. If you count total carbs, that's really high, lol!

    I did see their MCT Oil is non-GMO pure coconuts, C8...that has me interested in price and taste...

    But, in order to powder something like MCT oil it has to be bound to a carbohydrate. Typically maltodextrin which is a 130 glycemic index compared to table sugars 65. It’s a nefarious product fooling people.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    I looked up the nutrition information.

    First, they aren't premade shakes, so are they really handy to keep around? Eh.
    Second, they contain mostly palm oil, not coconut oil.
    Third, they have ingredients such as silica, carrageenan, and dextrose. Depending one how strict you are, I avoid those.
    Fourth, they have 9g carbs per serving. If you count total carbs, that's really high, lol!

    I did see their MCT Oil is non-GMO pure coconuts, C8...that has me interested in price and taste...

    But, in order to powder something like MCT oil it has to be bound to a carbohydrate. Typically maltodextrin which is a 130 glycemic index compared to table sugars 65. It’s a nefarious product fooling people.

    It's an oil, not a powder. It is listed as "Pure MCT oil from non-GMO coconut oil." That's it.

  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    I looked up the nutrition information.

    First, they aren't premade shakes, so are they really handy to keep around? Eh.
    Second, they contain mostly palm oil, not coconut oil.
    Third, they have ingredients such as silica, carrageenan, and dextrose. Depending one how strict you are, I avoid those.
    Fourth, they have 9g carbs per serving. If you count total carbs, that's really high, lol!

    I did see their MCT Oil is non-GMO pure coconuts, C8...that has me interested in price and taste...

    But, in order to powder something like MCT oil it has to be bound to a carbohydrate. Typically maltodextrin which is a 130 glycemic index compared to table sugars 65. It’s a nefarious product fooling people.

    It's an oil, not a powder. It is listed as "Pure MCT oil from non-GMO coconut oil." That's it.

    I don't see how it is possible to have MCT powder without something else being added to it to bind it as Sunny Bunny has noted. I wouldn't trust that the information on the product is correct. Unfortunately, just because a company says it is so, doesn't mean that it's true.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    bametels wrote: »
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    I looked up the nutrition information.

    First, they aren't premade shakes, so are they really handy to keep around? Eh.
    Second, they contain mostly palm oil, not coconut oil.
    Third, they have ingredients such as silica, carrageenan, and dextrose. Depending one how strict you are, I avoid those.
    Fourth, they have 9g carbs per serving. If you count total carbs, that's really high, lol!

    I did see their MCT Oil is non-GMO pure coconuts, C8...that has me interested in price and taste...

    But, in order to powder something like MCT oil it has to be bound to a carbohydrate. Typically maltodextrin which is a 130 glycemic index compared to table sugars 65. It’s a nefarious product fooling people.

    It's an oil, not a powder. It is listed as "Pure MCT oil from non-GMO coconut oil." That's it.

    I don't see how it is possible to have MCT powder without something else being added to it to bind it as Sunny Bunny has noted. I wouldn't trust that the information on the product is correct. Unfortunately, just because a company says it is so, doesn't mean that it's true.

    I'm so confused. Both of you have said MCT powder. Who is talking about a powder? The product that I mentioned is MCT OIL. Not a powder. If it were a powder, I KNOW there would be other ingredients. What am I misunderstanding??? Can you not derive an OIL from the coconut?
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

    I'm so confused. Both of you have said MCT powder. Who is talking about a powder? The product that I mentioned is MCT OIL. Not a powder. If it were a powder, I KNOW there would be other ingredients. What am I misunderstanding??? Can you not derive an OIL from the coconut?

    When I looked earlier at the product on the SlimFast website, I clearly looked too quickly. You are correct. My apologies.

  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    bametels wrote: »
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

    I'm so confused. Both of you have said MCT powder. Who is talking about a powder? The product that I mentioned is MCT OIL. Not a powder. If it were a powder, I KNOW there would be other ingredients. What am I misunderstanding??? Can you not derive an OIL from the coconut?

    When I looked earlier at the product on the SlimFast website, I clearly looked too quickly. You are correct. My apologies.

    Thank you! lol, I went back and looked several times! I am still getting my sea legs so I was wondering what I was missing!
  • cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    rseneca724 wrote: »
    I was curious about trying their peanut butter cups. I looked at the ingredients online first and they didn't look too bad. However, when I saw them in the store for $10.99 for I think 5 of them, it was a hard pass. I can get off my butt and make my own fat bombs for that price.

    I already use their advanced nutrition shakes which are expensive enough but work well for me from time to time to get my protein and vitamins for the day. I have zero interest in paying twice as much for them to write Keto on the container.

    I didn't think the fat bomb ingredients were too nefarious. I tried them and they are really good. There are 14 in a box, but yeah, 10 bucks at walmart.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    bametels wrote: »
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    I looked up the nutrition information.

    First, they aren't premade shakes, so are they really handy to keep around? Eh.
    Second, they contain mostly palm oil, not coconut oil.
    Third, they have ingredients such as silica, carrageenan, and dextrose. Depending one how strict you are, I avoid those.
    Fourth, they have 9g carbs per serving. If you count total carbs, that's really high, lol!

    I did see their MCT Oil is non-GMO pure coconuts, C8...that has me interested in price and taste...

    But, in order to powder something like MCT oil it has to be bound to a carbohydrate. Typically maltodextrin which is a 130 glycemic index compared to table sugars 65. It’s a nefarious product fooling people.

    It's an oil, not a powder. It is listed as "Pure MCT oil from non-GMO coconut oil." That's it.

    I don't see how it is possible to have MCT powder without something else being added to it to bind it as Sunny Bunny has noted. I wouldn't trust that the information on the product is correct. Unfortunately, just because a company says it is so, doesn't mean that it's true.

    I'm so confused. Both of you have said MCT powder. Who is talking about a powder? The product that I mentioned is MCT OIL. Not a powder. If it were a powder, I KNOW there would be other ingredients. What am I misunderstanding??? Can you not derive an OIL from the coconut?

    Is the slim fast product wet or dry? If it’s dry the MCT oil has been made into a powder. Regardless of the fact they still call it an oil.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    No thanks. I have some vanilla Ketolent (which is now called Sated) around, with some sugar free syrups if I feel like changing the flavor, but even that mostly sits unused. It's pretty much just an "emergency food" kind of deal if I need something quick and portable with ingredients I'm fine with.

    I prefer just eating real food. It tastes MUCH better and is always more satiating.