Megan's Fitness Journal

Options

Replies

• megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit My favorite is the Quaker Oatmeal Squares! I get the brown sugar kind. I had a great day, I hope you did too!

As expected, the cereal didn't get me through, but I had packed some protein balls just for that purpose. I had three of those between breakfast and lunch. For lunch I went home and put the second half of my Sunday night steak on the skillet. It took so long to cook that I totally forgot to make anything else! So yesterday I had a completely carnivore lunch. Ridiculously weird for me!

Dinner last night was zoodles and the crockpot meatballs I made yesterday! My main man added some broccoli as a side and it was all delectable. It's meals like that which really don't make me miss the non-Whole30 foods. I was quite pleased. After dinner we did get to go climbing, which was great! I feel like I don't get as much of a workout when I go with my bf because he burns out a lot quicker. We did get to work out after climbing, but it was short. I'm really just glad I got some exercise in! I'll be back on the wall tomorrow, weather permitting.

This morning I ate a Chobani Lower Sugar yogurt and a Purely Elizabeth grain-free granola bar. I've only had the coconut cashew flavor, but I swear they taste like cookies! Only 6g of sugar balanced with 6g of protein. Not too bad! I packed one slice of 15-grain bread and a mini mason jar with tuna salad (W30 mayo) for lunch, with some fruit in case I need a little more. For dinner I'm planning to do butter chicken curry, but I'm not sure about the sides. I should probably mix in some potatoes, peppers, and onions.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a great day! =) Sounds like a good dinner planned!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Ugh, I really need to recommit. I feel like every other day there's a new "reason" to eat unhealthy food. One day I'm at a site for work, one day I meet my parents for dinner, one day I have an outing with friends, etc. I keep thinking, "oh this is just a special occasion, I'll do better tomorrow." My logical brain has been having a cow lately, scolding me for being so weak-willed. I knew I'd go down this landslide after Whole30 ended, I just was hoping that knowing my problem would help me fight it. Apparently not.

As far as my current SMART goal goes, I'm totally failing. Yesterday I had a sandwich for lunch and pizza with dinner. Wednesday we had a snow and ice storm and I didn't much care what I ate. Today I've done okay, but that's really because I haven't eaten much. I don't know if it's the guilt keeping me back or if I'm really not hungry. I suppose I'll just eat a big dinner if I can.

Exercise has been tricky this week. Monday I climbed and I planned to go back Wednesday, but the gym closed due to weather. This morning I made it a point to get in the office by 8 for the yoga practice. It felt great! I'd really like to climb tonight, but I feel bad for my dogs. It's just me this weekend and they're not going to see much of me as it is. I might just do a yoga practice in the morning so I feel like I've done something.

Tomorrow I have a get-together for a friend's birthday. I'm in charge of making a cake, which is my specialty. We have a reservation for a restaurant I've never been to for lunch and I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner. It's definitely going to be hard to resist over-eating and drowning in sugar. Wish me luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    "I feel like every other day there's a new "reason" to eat unhealthy food. "

That sounds like my whole life right there.

That's the hard part right...having a plan that fits every day life...having a plan that is sustainable and healthy and doesn't make your life miserable...you will get there if you keep trying...you can tweak the SMART goals to better fit your actual life...the time will pass one way or another, but you can choose to make it productive, adapt your goals to yourself, to your life, to what you really want out of that life, and it's not a bad thing to want a life that is enjoyable, improvise and find a way to make that enjoyable life also healthy and fit your goals for your health.
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Okay. It's Monday, everyone! A great day to reevaluate and restart! I'm doing great on my goals today. Just one slice of bread and some bread crumbs in my meal plan for the day. Dinner will be protein and veggies and after that I'm climbing. I was very careful to plan my meals this week ahead of time so I don't have more than one source of grains each day. Today my proteins were Greek yogurt, chicken, and steak. I finally brought a vegetable to go with my lunch again! I don't know why I kept skipping that. I actually love eating some steamed broccoli or green beans with my meals. I guess it just sounded like more work than it actually is.

I think the problem with SMART goals is that they don't necessarily fit your life. They make sense for business, house keeping, or projects, but not as much for something so intimately tied to your lifestyle. I need a little more flexibility if this is going to last, not just go for a week and revert. Whole30 was great because it was timed, super specific, and relevant to my life goals, but it isn't meant to last forever. I'm a people pleaser, so if I'm going to be spending time with friends or family, I'm not going to want to be the one who says "no, I can't eat here because it doesn't have anything without x, y, and z." When I was vegetarian that worked okay because there is almost always a vegetarian option on any menu, even if it's just a salad.

My new goal is to find a way to limit carbs and sugar while increasing protein in a sustainable, flexible way. In the meantime, I'll just stick to this meal plan I made yesterday!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    The "special occasion" monster strikes again! I had an all-day training for work, complete with a Jimmy Johns cookie and a basket of chocolate. I chose to eat my own lunch (open faced tuna sandwich on 15-grain with a side of grapes) instead of a catered JJ lunch, but someone abandoned their cookie and my monkey brain said "take." Ah well.

Breakfast was two slices of bacon, a Boars Head apple chicken sausage, and a banana. Dinner will be oven roasted chicken and lots of veggies. I'll definitely have to do better tomorrow, but for today all I can do now is control myself this evening.

Yesterday's climbing was fantastic. I did my personal best with a 5.10d level climb! It was super exhausting and I only ended up doing 3 tall top-rope climbs (5.9, 5.10c, and 5.10d) and one and a half boulder problems (V1 and an unrated). My forearms felt huge by the end of it. Typically climbing should be more leg-focused, but as you move up in level it turns into a finger and forearm strength test. I can keep my toes on the tiniest of footholds, but my fingers are crap. Hopefully tomorrow's bouldering goes well and I can continue building up that grip strength!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Yoga last night was fantastic. I did YWA's yoga for climbers and came out of it feeling great. I realized that after doing hour-long yoga session, a half hour felt really short. Next time I might have to do my own practice before starting a video.

Tonight I'll be bouldering right after work, which I'm really excited for! After that is turkey tacos for dinner. My breakfast was a Greek yogurt and half a whole grain bagel. The catered lunch today was sandwiches so I had a turkey and avocado sandwich on a wheat roll. I brought my own fruit to eat with it since they usually also bring cookies and today was no exception. I was able to refrain from indulging in the baked goods by snacking on my blackberries and grapes!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Today I've had trouble making good choices due to lack of groceries at home, but all things considered I think I've done okay. I had a whole grain cereal for breakfast with unsweetened almond milk and a banana. I didn't bring lunch so I went to the cafe next door and got a salad. I tried really hard to eat it all, but I just don't like beets. They taste like soil. I also got a caffeine-free latte with it, which was probably bad, but at least milk has protein.

Yesterday's bouldering was kind of a bust. I bouldered for a long time and was on the wall a lot, but I was totally burnt out by Monday's climb. I hardly finished any problems because my body was just tired. I had no grip strength left at all. I'm going to take a break from it until Saturday so my body can recover. Tomorrow I'll still do yoga, but today will be a rest day besides my normal walking.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    I hope you enjoy your rest day!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Thanks Kayla! I definitely rested well.

Morning yoga was so good! I slept like *kitten* because one of the dogs had the runs and I had to let her out three times throughout the night. I didn't even prevent her from going in the house apparently, because this morning I found a disaster scene on my favorite rug. UGH! So clearly I needed some good old relaxation and gentle movement to get myself into gear. Despite being tired and my body still recovering from too much climbing, I really enjoyed the whole practice. I was shaking a lot of the time, but I got my blood flowing and my mind calm. It also snowed overnight so I got to start my day with clearing off my car.

Yesterday after eating lunch I got very nauseous and had to leave work early. I still wasn't feeling well after a nap so I didn't have dinner and only had an Rx Bar and some applesauce later. Today I totally forgot about breakfast, but I'm not that hungry yet. I really need to work more veggies into my diet again, so I'm planning on having a lot with dinner and go easy on the carbs. I'm thinking burrito bowls! Hopefully my avocados are ripe so I can make guac!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Weekend: Saturday was a trip to NJ to see my grandparents. I still ate pretty well despite having sandwiches for lunch and going to a restaurant for dinner. No exercise because I left early and got home late. Sunday I went climbing, which was really good, but kind of short. Again, my partner was ready to go before I was. I wish he had a little more stamina so we could climb longer. I don't feel like I get my full workout. I'm sure that'll come in time. He's trying to go up in skill level so he climbs two hard ones and is done, whereas I climb in my normal range most of the time and do one "try-hard" towards the beginning when I have the most energy. Dinner ended up being a chicken, veggie, and rice soup because we both were feeling congested and groggy by the end of the day.

Monday: I had Greek yogurt with strawberries for breakfast, snacked on a slice of apple streusel cake when I got into work, had a banana midday, and swordfish with snow peas and zucchini for dinner. I probably shouldn't have had the cake, but I tried to balance it by skipping the heavy part of my lunch and eating lots of protein and veggies with dinner. Yesterday was a complete Monday if you know what I mean. I just didn't feel up to anything. No yoga although I intended to.

Today: Breakfast was Greek yogurt with strawberries again and I snacked on some raw snow peas and cucumber slices while getting ready for work. Lunch will be my chicken francese leftovers from the weekend with a side of green beans. In honor of Fat Tuesday, we decided on pancakes for dinner! Fruit will accompany and maybe more yogurt or another source of protein. I'm determined to do yoga tonight, so send good stretchy vibes!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    I've been really terrible at logging in since Wednesday night, but I'm finally back! I had a break-in to my house while I was at work Wednesday so Thursday and Friday I was kind of overwhelmed. After that I had my partner's birthday weekend and just kind of abandoned my phone. It sucks because I have to restart my streak, but it's good because I'm back on track now!

Climbed Friday, Skyzone (trampoline center) Sunday. I definitely got a good workout on both days! I ate like crap though, so today I'm being extra careful. Morning was steel cut oats with a bit of nutmilk and raspberries. Lunch was Greek yogurt with mixed berries. Dinner will definitely include lots of veggies!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you had a break-in. Was anything stolen? Do the police have any leads? I don't know if you saw it but I posted on your news feed post with a link for you to reset your streak if you want. I hope you're having a good start to your week!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    Kayla, thank you so much! The guys who have been breaking in everywhere have now each been caught on camera so it's a matter of time before they're found. All they got was a wallet with no credit cards or cash in it thanks to my dogs scaring them off!

I've definitely been a little off my game for the past week. I finally gave in and went out for St. Patrick's Day weekend, which I've decided I never need to do again lol. It took me two days to fully recover! From now on I'll stick to my green pancakes and favorite St. Paddy's day shirt and let the rest of the world drink without me.

I've been able to climb a decent amount since my last entry, which was definitely great! I went last night, but only got three top rope climbs in because my forearms locked up and I wasn't able to hold anything anymore. Today my arms are really tired and sore, it's even tiring to type. Friday I went to yoga and I plan to go again this week. Overall exercise has been strong, it's the eating that I need to rein in.

My next official Whole30 is planned to start April 7th. I think the first one was more of a practice run and now I know how to do it right. The idea of the program is not to have to do it a million times (although you are welcome to), but to learn from it and apply some of the principles to your daily life. While I definitely learned some things the first time, I was way too miserable from transitioning back to eating meat to really appreciate what was going on. Now that I'm accustomed to animal proteins again, I'm counting on this round being easier and a lasting lesson. I'd like to say that until then I'll be eating healthy and getting on track, but I know myself. I will be looking for any excuse to eat things that I won't be able to have in April! What I can do is moderate, even if that's difficult for me. Wish me luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Good Luck!!!

(even if it's Irish Luck)

;)
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    @tcunbeliever I'm actually not Irish at all, but I am Scottish so I have something in common with St. Patrick ;)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    You're welcome! I'm glad to read that they were caught on camera and that they didn't get a chance to take anything valuable, hopefully they are found soon. You may have mentioned it before but what kind of dogs do you have?

I look forward to following along your journey (just in general as well as) with Whole30 again! I don't think you'll need luck though, you can do it because you've done it before so you've got this!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit I have a 60lb mutt (staffordshire terrier, chow chow, beagle, other) and a 50lb mutt (german shepherd, maybe pitbull?, greyhound?, other). The bigger one is my Ollivander, I adopted him in 2016 and he's around 7 or 8 years old. The smaller one is Kona, my partner's dog, and she's a little over a year and a half. She's the one who probably scared off the intruders because she does not back down if she doesn't trust someone. They're both pretty intimidating when barking their heads off though.

I'm excited for my second W30, but also happy to enjoy off-program foods before I start it again! I just had one of my old favorites for lunch and it is definitely not Whole30-compliant. Then again, when I do have a fully compliant meal I feel so much lighter and healthier. It's kind of nice because I'll be starting right as farmer's markets start opening up again so I'll have a lot of fresh local foods to choose from. I'm also trying to take the next step in my climbing next month. Hopefully having quality fuel in my tum will kick me to that next level!
  • megbeveridge93
    Options
    I have been feeling "off" for a while now. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was starting to suspect every aspect of my life as the culprit. It was the food, it was sleep, it was my relationship, it was my job, it was my dogs, etc. All of this came to a head on Sunday after a night of very little sleep and a very busy day. My partner was extremely sweet and ran me a hot bath with essential oils so I could relax before the work week began. Soon enough I was breaking down in tears in the bathtub. It was as if the warm water started to seep through my defenses and suddenly I couldn't breathe from the heat and the anxiety that started pouring out of me. Here's what I realized:

Despite the work I put into Whole30, the drive to increase my exercise, the therapy, the new medications, and the attempt at organization, I just don't like myself. I don't feel right in my body. I don't like my face, my hair, my clothes. I hate how I can't focus or remember things. I don't like my dry, peeling skin. I don't like how annoying and peppy I can be one minute, and how apathetic and groggy I can be the next. I especially don't like the lack of control I feel over my eating, my weight, and my size. The only thing I seem to find that I can say "I like this about myself" is my heart.

My anxiety has been stealthily ramping up for a couple months, slow enough to be largely disguised as situational. But as I sat in the bathtub it all began to come together into one big, ugly monster. My brave face is gone and my real one is out in the open. As someone who is generally an optimist, you'd think my true face would be smiling and calm, but right now it wears a perpetual look of disgust. I feel defeated and worthless, like I'll never be who I want to be. I feel like I don't even know who I want to be because I can't sort the societal expectations from my actual desires and values.

Right now is time to be kind to myself, but also to remind myself of my goals. Tonight I'm going climbing, which always boosts my mood. I don't need to put pressure on myself to climb the hardest routes and finish the trickiest problems. I just need to enjoy it. Tomorrow I'll have a self care night with some gentle yoga and skin care. Thursday I'm going to a community meeting for one of my projects at work to learn more about the residents that I'm designing for. Friday is payday, so maybe we'll go out to eat or do something fun after work. I need to get back to basics to find my best inner and outer self. I need to recommit to choosing healthy and satisfying food, investing time into what gives me energy, and treating myself with respect and care. That heart of mine is going to be redirected inwardly for a while because, well, you can't pour from an empty cup.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I think that's the hardest part of self care...building a life you don't need to escape from in the first place...it doesn't happen overnight, you can totally do this!!!