Complete Newbie - trying to understand

Options
2»

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I don't think your macros look right for KETO. They are probably fine for low carb but for KETO your fat should be much higher than your protein. I think I read that your fat goal should be around the same as your goal weight and protein should be about half that and carbs should be 20 or less net. Too much protein can inhibit ketosis unless you are exercising a lot.

I eat between 150 and 200 grams of protein a day and have never had an issue maintaining ketosis (with or without exercise).
  • RAFLowCarb
    RAFLowCarb Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I don't think your macros look right for KETO. They are probably fine for low carb but for KETO your fat should be much higher than your protein. I think I read that your fat goal should be around the same as your goal weight and protein should be about half that and carbs should be 20 or less net. Too much protein can inhibit ketosis unless you are exercising a lot.
    Not nessersaily the case. Yes you’ll probably have some gluconeogenisis from the protein but you should keep your protein to a level that prevents a loss of lean body mass - you may be up being slimmer but you’ll end up looking like a frail vegan! The macros look ok for that calorie limit but as the previous OP said... I would be tempted to up the calories to start with and use fat to do this. Essentially stuck with a protein amount based on your height, age, weight gender etc, set a low carb limit and then use fat to satiety. Have a look at some of Dr Ted Naimans latests thoughts on protein leverage on YouTube!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @freckleston I think your macros look very good and you said you feel good, so THAT is what matters right now. Just as @nvmomketo stated, if you wind up hungry you may need to eat more, but that would need to be more fat since your protein is high enough and carbs are spot on. You would do that by adding butter your cooked meat, mayonnaise for a chicken salad (or tuna salad, make a homemade hollandaise sauce sauce out of equal parts butter and heavy whipping cream then season to taste....

The 1200 calorie limit is MFPs estimate based on the Standard American Diet for weight loss, so don’t get too hung up on that number either. Going over isn’t going to be detrimental right now.

You’ve got a great start!! Hang in there!! It gets easy, I promise! Don’t forget to salt your food too! 😀
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The macros are perfect to start but as others have said you should up the calories a bit this early on. You can always reduce that a few weeks into Keto.

Protein needs to be hit or exceeded daily. I eat an average of 225-250 grams of protein a day and there is no blood sugar spike or kick out of ketosis. That is just noise. Use fat to get to satiety but you shouldn't be shooting to hit this number at all. Carbs are a hard limit *unless* you have an intense workout routine (hard running, crossfit etc) then you should be easily able to go higher than 20-30g.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I will maybe post a separate message about specifics when i get into this more!... but im enjoying what ive eaten for 2days so im positive so far.

Does this look about right please?...

Yesterday:
    Carbs: 27g (8%)
    Fat: 75g (52%)
    Protein: 129g (40%)

Today:
    Carbs: 14g (5%)
    Fat: 66g (50%)
    Protein: 132g (45%)

I just wanted to make sure not doing something terribly wrong from the beginning.
    By the way my daily calories is 1200. This is what the app says for weight loss.
    Thanks!

Looks great for a fat loss goal! Well done!
    People will tell you, as someone already has, that you need more fat for keto but what they’re not understanding is that the body fat portion of your calories also counts as fat in your macros. So if you are eating at a 200 calorie deficit then that’s basically another 22g of fat in your macros.
    Eating dietary fat isn’t what makes it keto. It’s the low carbs.
    You’re absolutely eating keto!
    You’re doing great!
  • freckleston
    freckleston Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thats great, i feel positive with these responses. Ive not felt hungry at all but if i can, i will add some more calories from fats as the suggestions above.

Weight loss is my a secondary reason. My main reason is to see if help for my neurological problem. From advice on here i have now watched YouTube and read some on the neuroscience behind this.

Please know that even if i havent replied directly to all of you, i have read and taken in all of your comments and advice. I just struggle a bit to stay on screen for long and type messages etc. Hopefully as time goes on, this will improve.
    Thank you to everyone, i really appreciate the support.