In a slump..

Options
Hello my fellow c25k runners! Prior to the beginning of this program, it was a major feat for me to run 2 minutes without stopping. Since starting the program, my longest run was 25 minutes and I've never felt so proud as I did that day. However, since then, I've been in a slump. I just can't seem to push through the mental junk and I always end up taking a walk break after about 12-15 minutes.. I know I can do this but I just can't seem to tell myself that during a run. Has anyone else felt like this? Could someone offer some suggestions to break through this wall I've apparently built for myself?

Replies

• asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do you run to a program like c25k? Try going back and pushing yourself each run a little bit at a time. This week run 12 minutes, next week run 13 etc.
    Focus more on your music than what is in your head or where you are. For me, I run the school track, so I focus on the lines, or my music or both.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You are stronger than your lazy alter-ego!!! What did you do to get through the 20 minute run, then the 22 and the 25 minute runs? Do THAT!!! When my mind starts telling me to stop, I set distance goals. I find something in the distance close to the estimation of when I would have to stop, or be 1/2 way etc. I tell myself I have to get to x point and I will be 3/4 of the way. If I am 3/4 done I might as well finish. Then set another distance goal when you have not allowed yourself to stop the first time. It's a series of battles with your brain, but with mini-wins, you can beat the lazy alter-ego!!! You can allow yourself to slow your pace, but don't walk until you are done!

The mental training is the hardest. But if you REALLY want this, you will find a way to get through it!!
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I do the "I'm going to run to that SUV and then we'll see" thing when I start getting the blahs. Usually either my time expires or I'm so much closer that I'm like screw it I can do this.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. When you get to that point tell yourself, just 30 more seconds or to the next whatever and then keep doing that until you are able to push past where you are stuck. Also maybe you just need a day off from running. That happened to me a month or so ago I just felt like I couldn't push anymore so I took a couple days off and when I returned I was refreshed and able to push through. Either way, don't give up :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A lot of time slumps are physical rather than mental. Hydrate. Eat enough calories. Run slow. Stop at 10 minutes, stretch for 30 seconds and then run for 20 more minutes.