Auto Immune Whole 30

Options
Hi All!
I just started whole 30 AIP today(I have done a whole 30 before but not AIP)and would love some friends who have done this type of whole 30 or who are in the midst of one.
I have leaky gut and while this isn't an Auto Immune disease,there is a lot being said that it can be a precursor to other AI diseases.
I am a chef but even I'm a bit overwhelmed by this one.
Hoping it will help with some areas I am experiencing issues with,especially digestion.
Thanks

Replies

• LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I did antiinflammatory protocol within W30 for a couple of weeks without eggs and nightshades. At first it was very hard, but then easier. It did help to calm down systemic inflammation that was wrecking me for a couple of months after a very stressful time (I went through eye infections, UTI, wrists and knees joint pains one after another, after another... ) I am feeling well now and can even eat fermented dairy. On the whole, following proper eating and balancing macros and veggies/fruit ratios really helped my digestion in the long run. So, fingers crossed it helps you!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, but a cookbook that I have, "Practical Paleo," has a whole series of menu plans for this that might help you. See:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936608758
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    thanks for your comments guys!
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I follow AIP :) My diary is pretty boring -- I have Fibromyalgia and my symptoms have become so mcuh better after following! :)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I followed AIP very strictly for two months, but the past couple of weeks I haven't been quite as strict. (As in, eating guacamole that probably had jalapeno juice in it, but thankfully not suffering a lot of ill effects.)

It is possible to avoid nuts, nightshades, eggs, seeds, I forget what else, and still have a wonderful variety of satisfying food. I use a lot of onions, garlic, and seasonings in my cooking. I often add avocado to a dish for richness (or bacon), and use a variety of olives. I stir fry in bacon fat (nitrate free) or coconut oil or ghee. I have taken to topping steamed vegetables with ghee lately. Lovely stuff.

Stir fried greens, a variety (for example, the tops of root vegetables such as beets, turnips, parsnips, as well as your spinach, chard, or kale), are lovely, especially when you sprinkle balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar or lemon juice over them. If you fry turnips in bacon fat (or even coconut oil) they develop almost a potato flavor and texture. Another favorite of ours is to toss a variety of vegetables in olive oil and roast them in the oven. (Brussel sprouts, parsnips, rutabagas, garlic cloves, carrots, yams, sweet potatoes).

I have become more adventurous about cooking fish and meat, too. Very satisfying stuff.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    what I find amazing is that in one day of A.I.P,I had NO heartburn..one day!I hope it will continue like this for the duration and hopefully I will notice some improvements in joint pain.
    I didn't have far to get to the whole 30 but thinking the dairy and eggs will make the difference for me.
    Thanks again everyone!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, but a cookbook that I have, "Practical Paleo," has a whole series of menu plans for this that might help you. See:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936608758

What she said.

Plus, AIP recipes: http://www.thepaleomom.com/aip-friendly

And I totally want the cookbook they're talking about here: http://whole9life.com/2013/08/introducing-the-paleo-autoimmune-cookbook/

One more site with recipes/descriptions of each meal (by the author of WellFed): http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/02/whole30-autoimmune-wrap-up/

Good luck!

Homesweeths, if you want guacamole, the organic Wholly Guacamole actually doesn't have any nightshades in it. :)
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I followed AIP very strictly for two months, but the past couple of weeks I haven't been quite as strict. (As in, eating guacamole that probably had jalapeno juice in it, but thankfully not suffering a lot of ill effects.)

It is possible to avoid nuts, nightshades, eggs, seeds, I forget what else, and still have a wonderful variety of satisfying food. I use a lot of onions, garlic, and seasonings in my cooking. I often add avocado to a dish for richness (or bacon), and use a variety of olives. I stir fry in bacon fat (nitrate free) or coconut oil or ghee. I have taken to topping steamed vegetables with ghee lately. Lovely stuff.

Stir fried greens, a variety (for example, the tops of root vegetables such as beets, turnips, parsnips, as well as your spinach, chard, or kale), are lovely, especially when you sprinkle balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar or lemon juice over them. If you fry turnips in bacon fat (or even coconut oil) they develop almost a potato flavor and texture. Another favorite of ours is to toss a variety of vegetables in olive oil and roast them in the oven. (Brussel sprouts, parsnips, rutabagas, garlic cloves, carrots, yams, sweet potatoes).

I have become more adventurous about cooking fish and meat, too. Very satisfying stuff.

SO jealous! I cannot have onions or garlic anymore on top of the usual AIP items and avoid chard/kale due to FODMAP for my IBS. I feel great now though so I can't complain too much.