New tummy aches from coffee!

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
I LOVE coffee! I have at least one 12-16oz hot coffee with sugar free creamer every day for YEARS... This week I always get a stomach ache about halfway thru. My only change is being back on a ketogenic diet, which I've done before. Anyone else experience be this?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have my coffee black or with some half and half sometimes...I have not had issues with coffee, but I have definitely become more sensitive to the alternative sugars. I used to be able to have splenda without problems, but now it not only has a nasty aftertaste, but it definitely upsets my digestion. I picked up some stevia to try as a replacement. I bake with them and don't eat baked stuff often, but I like my occasional angel food cake or cheesecakes, so it's a super disappointment to make them keto and have them make me feel crappy.

So, maybe try a different creamer with a different alternative sweetener?
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'll second the try a different creamer.

I find that sometimes I get a touch of sour stomach when I have coffee, but I love coffee and just deal with it. I also take a ton of pills and have a history of GI issues so if it gets bad I back off the coffee for a day or two to let my stomach recover.

If you use Splenda try Stevia, or vice-versa and see if it helps.

Also on a random note @cgcrutch, have you tried butter coffee? I know, it might sound weird and I was skeptical at first myself but it's grown on me when I want something besides plain black coffee. Simply brew up your normal cup of coffee, add your sweetener, and add .5 ounce/14 - 15 grams of salted butter and blend it up. Seriously delicious and keto friendly. It's also a lot cheaper than my go-to heavy whipping cream. The key is that it has to be blended well, you can't just pop a pat of butter in the cup and drink it.

Best of luck!
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried butter in coffee yet, but I'll try it. Maybe I've had too much artificial sweeteners this go round on keto... I did eat some sugar free candies that give me a stomach ache too
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Your experience would make me think the artificial sweeteners are the culprit. I would recommend eliminating them and see if you improve. Coffee with plain creamer isn’t all that bad, or with butter (blended as suggested) is better than you think it would be!