entering meat for tracking

Options
zanyterp
zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
when you are tracking your calories/fat/protein for meats, do you use a scale and put in the values _before_ cooking or _after_ cooking? i have been doing after because that is how much i am actually eating. or is this one of the things that is up to each individual for what works for them and helps them succeed (at both fat and weight loss)?

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always do after.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    sweet; thank you, sir
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do after.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you, ma'am
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Before. This is what most nutritional labels are based on. Calories/nutrients per raw weight. Ocassionally a label will read "cooked" but that is not common except in the case of bacon and it is most often entered on the nutrition label as "cooked". You will see the word "cooked" or "fried" on the nutrient label. "2 strips cooked"

It is not reasonable for most manufacturers to guess how much fat/liquid one may cook out of meat so the nutritional label is the raw weight.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Right or wrong, I use the weight after cooking.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I do raw weight, too, but then, I'm a chef, and that is how commercial kitchens operate. A quarter-pound burger is actually ~3.25oz once it's been cooked.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I always did after when I did weigh my meats. The main reason for me was because I didn’t want the raw meat on the scale, and I didn’t want to go to the trouble of wrapping it in plastic wrap...
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I always do before, as that’s what the neutrino is usually for. Weigh the raw, then cook.

Nutritional information* not neutrino..
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I use a cooked entry since I'm making the meal for an entire family. I'm not weighing 5 chicken breasts and then writing each weight down. Often they are diced or something and put into a pan with veggies. I only have so much time. I consistently do this and was able to lose weight and am keeping it off.

Whichever you pick, do so consistently, and you'll be fine.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do either. Depends on what I'm cooking. If i'm having my roast on Saturday, I'll weigh the cooked meat, as it's being served in different portions to multiple parties (including cats :wink: ). Left over cooked chicken I use in a recipe requiring rotisserie or just as a snack I'll also be doing after cooked and logging it as cooked.
    Otherwise I do before.
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I weigh cooked, unless I am mixing in other things, then I may weigh before the add-ons...or raw...
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Raw weight.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Mfp sometimes has raw and cooked nutrition info. Most food labels are for raw unless it specifically says cooked