Salad dressing...

edh8423
edh8423 Posts: 4 Member
I'm quite new to MFP, and just started my fitness program (creating it on my own, learning as I go) and realized proper nutrition is something I need a lot of learning about. This app is great.

First thing I learned from using MFP is that quite a bit of my sodium intake comes from the creamy Ceasar Dressing (Newman's Own) that I chose. I normally am quite a bit under my fat/carb targets, so I don't mind creamy dressing for salad, but 680 mg of sodium is not acceptable.

Thankfully, I'm about to run out. I'm okay getting fat/carbs from the dressing, since I'm eating such small amounts of them right now. I know the vinaigrette (oil/vinegar) are likely the more healthy options, but this is one area where I'm allowing myself to be slightly naughty.

Any suggestions? Sent this question to my brother, but he's so much more healthy than me, I'm quite certain he'll send me a great vinaigrette.

I know, random question. Figured I'd try here and see what happens. Thanks in advance.

Ed

Replies

• bonniele
    bonniele Posts: 5 Member
    I use below recipe from myrecipes.com
    Don't be afraid of the anchovy paste. A little goes a long way & it doesn't taste like anchovies. I just adds depth of flavor. You can skip it if you are really squeamish. Once you see how easy & fast it is to make salad dressing, you'll never buy bottled again.

Dump all this in a bowl. Wisk it together until that yogurt is well mixed in. Pour it in any container you can later shake. Store it in the fridge until it's gone. Like leftover spaghetti, it's better the second day after all the flavors have lived together a bit.

1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon anchovy paste
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced
  • superducky225
    superducky225 Posts: 1 Member
    I am a fan of vinaigrette because of its ability to add a lot of flavor combined with its simplicity. My favorite is Balsamic Vinaigrette and my recipe goes as follows. Amounts are approximate.

1/2c Balsamic Vinegar (The higher the quality the more tasty your dressing will be)
    1/2c Olive oil
    2 tbs Dijon Mustard
    1 sprig thyme (1/2 tsp dry will work)
    1 sprig rosemary (1/4 tsp dry will work)
    1tbs honey (add more or less depending on how acidic you wan it)
    2 cloves garlic smashed/pulverized
    lemon juice from 1/4 lemon
    1/2 tsp lemon zest
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

Whisk or shake all ingredients together. This is best fresh however I keep mine on the counter until I finish it.
  • xB00KW0RMx
    xB00KW0RMx Posts: 3 Member
    From laughing spatula.com 3 Minute Skinny Caesar Dressing

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup plain greek yogurt I used fat free
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
    2 tablespoons dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons anchovy paste
    1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • tucktanner
    tucktanner Posts: 2 Member
    skinny girl dressings are good and no cal, low sodium. Find them at Publix if you have them...sure other grocery stores have it as well.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm a creamy dressing person as well and was using hidden valley ranch until I started my road to being healthier. I wanted to skip all that sodium and other chemicals and started making my own ranch dressing and we love it!

RANCH DRESSING
    1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt or sour cream (I use 2% fat Fage Greek Yogurt)
    1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
    3 tbsp. mayonnaise (double = 1/3 cup)
    1 ½ tsp. lemon juice or vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard
    ½ tsp. onion powder
    ¼ tsp. garlic powder (or ½ tsp. fresh minced)
    ¼ tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. parsley (or 2 tsp. fresh)
    1 tsp. dill (or 2 tsp. fresh)
    1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives (optional)
    Salt to taste (I don't add any)

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and add salt to taste. Refrigerate any left overs. I double the recipe – it keeps really well in the fridge.

Let me know if you try it.
  • zenajane97
    zenajane97 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi there! you could always try something simple like a mint yoghurt dressing (without fresh lemon juice it can be used as a dip!)

1/2 cup greek yoghurt (which ever you prefer)
    1 lemon (or half if you're not too fond of lemons)
    1-2 crushed cloves of fresh garlic (less if you don't like garlic much)
    4-5 heads of fresh mint grounded (or roughly 2-3 times more mint to garlic as a ratio)
    mixed together with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt (or no salt since you're looking at low sodium)

and that is a typical mediterranean dressing/dip. Goes wonderfully with cucumber, carrots, apples and if you're being cheeky crackers and chips :smile: