Resting Heart Rate

Lucy17128
Lucy17128 Posts: 53 Member
I’ve been doing Keto for three weeks. Fitbit reports my resting heart rate is on a steady increase since I started. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited January 2019
    Heart Palpitations, In the first few weeks, happens in keto. You can check the Dr. Eric Berg Videos due to low carb.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Make sure you are getting plenty of salt.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    If you think there is reason for concern, there is reason for concern. Get yourself to a doc and get some testing done.

I had a heart attack on 10/28/18 :/ but no, I never experienced an ongoing increased heart rate with a diet change.
  • Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 53 Member
    Thank you all for responding. It does feel like palpitations now that I read up on it, and I got them in the middle of the night last night which kept me up for awhile and scared me. Admittedly I didn’t drink as much water yesterday and forgot my Zero Powerade with added Himalayan salt. I’ll try that today to see if it happens again.
    Kpk54- so sorry to hear of your heart attack, yes if this keeps happening I’ll get it checked out.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Irregular heartbeat can be a result of electrolyte loss through ketosis, but isn’t something you want to be happening. Especially enough to be waking you up at night.

Please read the information about the sodium (and other electrolytes) needs with this way of eating in the Launch Pad at the top of the page! Ketones are excreted through the urine and they take sodium, magnesium, and potassium, with them. If those aren’t replaced on a consistent basis some tough symptoms (headache, muscle cramps, fatigue, irregular heartbeat...) will show up. They will be worse the longer we go without replacing them.

Or go to an Urgent Care facility, or Emergency Room if it doesn’t improve. You don’t want to take any chances with your life!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Had that initially during the first month of Keto but it stopped after a month or so. I'm guessing it was all the changes happening with loss of fluids and sleep being thrown off. If it lingers or becomes uncomfortable its worth a visit to the doctor but my guess is it stops soon.

Over time my resting heart rate has settle in around 55 in a woken state and low 40's at sleep.
  • kpk54
    edited January 2019
    Forgive me everyone but as could be guessed, I am a bit sensitive at this time to all things heart related. I hear "heart palpitation" and I think "atrial fibrillation". I don't believe my heart attack was diet related. Maybe it was but that is not the path of thinking I choose to take. At least not at this time. Anyway...

I have atrial fibrillation (which I did not feel). The A-Fib caused a blood clot and the blood clot caused a heart attack. I would really hate for anyone to overlook a health issue with a "oh it is just heart palpitations and that is common with keto". I won't dispute that is the case but as mentioned above, this is you're heart your talking about.

I could write a million and one pages right now. I will not. OP, your profile mentions meds for 3 different things one of which is high blood pressure. You've got "some things going on there". Be wise and not I-need-to-get-this-weight-off-foolish. <3

• kpk54
    **your heart you're talking about. LOL. Ex school teacher allowed to correct myself. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Agree with you 100% @kpk54! No one should ever assume that it’s only diet related symptoms!

Please be careful Lucy!