Scales

Options
queenidia
queenidia Posts: 4 Member
Guys any idea why i have only lost 1.5kg? I started off at 70.6kg on 6 Jan - Im in ketosis working out - doing all i can and i’ve been stuck on 70kg since my last weigh in on 13th Jan. I really need to see 69.something by sunday - any tips how i can give the old body (well i’m 37 and breastfeeding my 14month old baby) a little jolt into action?

Replies

• Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Here is the simple answer. Have a realistic outlook and a positive mindset. If you are looking for a fast track weight-loss, do not shoot for losing more than 2 lbs a week. If your goal is to lose fat primarily, then you should focus your exercising on lighter weight strength training (due to a lower carbohydrate diet) and a moderate cardio regimine. Each workout should be no more than 45 minutes long. Shoot for burning around 300-400 kcal / hour. Weigh yourself once a week, unless daily weighing would motivate you to stay on your diet, like it motivates me. I dont pay much attention to the scale. I take measurements every month they tell the real story.

This is a life-style not a diet. Just keep on keeping on!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It's not even been 2 weeks. Patience. And if you are not weighting/measuring your food intake you might want to start. Calories matter.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Measurements beyond the scale are super helpful.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's way way too early in the process. Put the scale in the garbage and get a super tight piece of clothing and try it on the same day each week and take a picture. If you are doing this correctly you will see the results regardless of what some $10 bathroom scale says. If you gain a pound of lean mass and lose a pound of fat the scale says a big 0 but your clothing won't lie to you. If you are numbers driven get a Fit3D scan once a month and you will see your deeper numbers.

I had a heap of 0.2, 0.7, 0.4, 1.0 type weight losses and know what happened? At the end of 2018 they had all added up to 55 pounds gone. It takes time :smiley:
  • maddog1769
    maddog1769 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @longshore Can you go into more detail Here? I am very intrigued as i work out much longer than this.... "lighter weight strength training (due to a lower carbohydrate diet) and a moderate cardio regimine. Each workout should be no more than 45 minutes long. Shoot for burning around 300-400 kcal / hour"
    Especially Why the 300 to 400 part and why only 45 min.
    Thanks
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    From what I have read and been told on here you will not be in ketosis for 6-7 weeks of Keto (no cheats) so if you started Jan 6th plan on being there around Feb 26.
    What % is your calories deficit, and what are your carb, fat and protein macros? Are you measuring and weighing your food?

As far as the scale I'll share what happened last Saturday. I was in a weight stall, the scale hadn't moved (but I'm in this for the long hall so I didn't freak). I was heading out and reached into my closet and pulled out a pair of black pants to wear (I have a few) but they were the wrong black pants. They were the ones 2 weeks ago I could not get into, the zip came only half way. Without thinking I put them on and had to safety pin the waist to take them in an additional 2". I was in shock because the 2 scales I have had not moved!

I suggest, you take a three pronged approach.
    1) Measure your body, find some tight clothing and use that as a test and then get on the scale.
    2) Check you are 100% on point with your calories, fat, carb and protein, weigh and measure and don't cheat.
    3) Chill, it's not even 2 weeks your body is trying to figure out what the "bleep" is happening and you need to give it time to get with the program.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    in addition to what everyone else said, there is the potential gain/loss refusal triggered by nursing and the body's response to making sure there is enough for baby.
    it might be something to check with a dr/nutritionist about as well (to keep both you and baby healthy)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    KetoZandra wrote: »
    From what I have read and been told on here you will not be in ketosis for 6-7 weeks of Keto (no cheats) so if you started Jan 6th plan on being there around Feb 26.
    What % is your calories deficit, and what are your carb, fat and protein macros? Are you measuring and weighing your food?

As far as the scale I'll share what happened last Saturday. I was in a weight stall, the scale hadn't moved (but I'm in this for the long hall so I didn't freak). I was heading out and reached into my closet and pulled out a pair of black pants to wear (I have a few) but they were the wrong black pants. They were the ones 2 weeks ago I could not get into, the zip came only half way. Without thinking I put them on and had to safety pin the waist to take them in an additional 2". I was in shock because the 2 scales I have had not moved!

I suggest, you take a three pronged approach.
    1) Measure your body, find some tight clothing and use that as a test and then get on the scale.
    2) Check you are 100% on point with your calories, fat, carb and protein, weigh and measure and don't cheat.
    3) Chill, it's not even 2 weeks your body is trying to figure out what the "bleep" is happening and you need to give it time to get with the program.

That isn't exactly accurate. It will take you that long to become fully fat-adapted (your body has all the metabolic machinery in place to be at prime efficiency.) You're in ketosis within 24-48 hours, depending on how much glycogen you have stored in your muscles and how low your carb level is.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Baconslave, You are correct, I got my words wrong I ment fat adapted instead of Ketosis for the 6-7 weeks.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how long it takes to undo fat adaptation? Like, now long does a body need to be out of ketosis before it's no longer fat adapted?
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @cgcrutch Ketosis comes and goes. You can be in today, out tomorrow, fast and be right back in. Once fat adapted if you flood the body with high levels of carbs for a period of time it will become the primary fuel source again. Timing depends on how you are using those carbs. A very active person vs a desk dweller will have much different responses. An RMR test at a Dexafit type facility would be able to tell you once you shifted from one to the other as the primary fuel source but the way you feel would be enough to let you know the change has happened.

I'm curious about why anyone want to go back to carbs as the primary fuel source once making it to the fat adapted stage? I'm not against carbs at all. I just believe in using their fuel as quickly as possible and never letting it go into long term storage.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @cgcrutch I really like your new pic! Very nice. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    KetoZandra wrote: »
    Baconslave, You are correct, I got my words wrong I ment fat adapted instead of Ketosis for the 6-7 weeks.

:smile: It happens.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    At 70kg, I doubt you have a lot to lose. That will cause slower losses.

You are losing almost 1 kg a week. That is almost 2 lbs. That's pretty fast imo. If that rate keeps up you would be down 7 kg in two months. That's about 15 lbs!
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes to undo fat adaptation? Like, now long does a body need to be out of ketosis before it's no longer fat adapted?

I think a few days to weeks depending on how long you have been fat adapted, what foods you switched to (cakes and crisps and soda vs more veggies for a few days), and your health and activity level.

Some people carb cycle and eat large amounts of carbs around exercise but while fat adapted, they still mainly rely on fats and ketones for fuel.

But this is an educated guess only. :)
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @maddog1769 when starting a new diet and lowering your calorie intake it is always good to start slow on exercise. Once you find a good balance then I would up the exercise. I would recommend to everyone to get your food/diet nailed down before I worry about exercise.