First week of keto

So I started my keto journey this week and at first I was kind of skeptical but I kept track of my macros and exercised everyday anyway. About halfway through the week I was extremely irritated and fatigued and really thought it wasnt for me but I continued and as of today I've lost 6lbs already! I'm so excited and I just wanted to share the joy.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Congratulations!! That’s a great start!! Don’t get discouraged if you see weeks with less weight loss. You are on the right track, so keep doing what’s working!

Don’t forget your sodium and other electrolytes to help prevent the Keto flu that can come from the loss of them via your urine. Ketones are excreted through the urine and they take sodium and magnesium with them, and if you don’t replace them you will feel bad (headaches, leg cramps, lack of energy).

Wonderful to meet you!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Excellent 1st week loss! Fatique is a symptom the dreaded keto flu and is totally avoidable with proper electrolyte balance as indicated above.

If you don't have a medical reason to limit sodium it helps to keep intake around 3000 to 5000 mg.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2019
    Nice start. The initial keto phase tends to drain the body of a lot of sodium and other junk which causes a not so great feeling. You may want to get some Powerade Zero and add a teaspoon of salt before the keto flu comes around. It isn't uncommon to lose around 10 pounds of water weight from all the fluid loss but it takes a lot out of the body.

Now here is a preview of what is likely coming: The weight loss is going to slow down A LOT and the scale will become an enemy instead of a friend. I encourage you to find some piece of tight clothing and try it on each week. You will see real progress that way regardless of what the bathroom scale says. 1 pound of gained lean mass (good thing) minus 1 pound of fat loss (good thing) = 0 pounds lost on the scale but you will see the true difference in the clothing. There are going to be lots of 0.2, 0.7 type losses but they add up over a year and next thing you know it Dec 31st and you have lost 50+ pounds.

Start to read up on being fat adapted as there is actually a reward you get for doing strict keto for around 2 month. Once the body makes the primary fuel switch you can go to low carb WOE levels without issue.