Thinning hair

Niki_Fitz
Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
If you’ve lost hair with weight loss and/or stress, has anything helped it regrow?

I lost a few pounds kind of fast in the fall, and at the same time had some intense job stress. Now a few months later, I think my hair is thinning out and I’m wondering if I can help prevent more or help it regrow. I’m taking a multi, iron, fish oil +D, and sometimes B complex.

I also lost a lot of hair after having my last baby, and was feeling so happy it was growing back, I think helped in part by the vitamins but I’m not sure.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Thank you @canadjineh, this is great info. It’s useful to know that some of this might be the natural slowing down of growth due to winter, and also that it might be a slowdown of growth rather than loss I should get nervous over.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I just went through this, and I also had styling damage. I think hormones also play a big role (especially while my toddler cuts back significantly with breastfeeding). I went through a burst of thickening and growth and then it started thinning again. I have found that more protein has been beneficial. I cut all the damage off and I have extensions while it regrows.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Whenever I start losing at closer to .5 lb/week or more, I end up with thinning hair. No other side effects or issues, but seems to be a thing for my body. I just gave up and went with a shorter cut (that I've always liked anyways) and rock something a bit shorter.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    I'm not sure if this happened to me or not or if it was just my paranoia?
    I lost a good 20 pounds between last February and July and it really felt and seemed like more hair was coming out in my hair brush or in the shower, but I wasn't really aware of it BEFORE I started loosing weight so I don't really have anything to compare it to??
    Also I didn't think my weightloss was that drastic or extreme to cause hair thinning but idk? I think it's gotten a bit better though. I don't wash it as often and I switched to more natural shampoo and I wash it with apple cider vinegar about once ever 2 months! I find it helps get all the built up product off that can inhibit hair growth and a healthy scalp!
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited February 2019
    @TynaBaby17 Now that I’ve read up a bit, think it’s a common side effect of losing weight. Not sure about you all but it makes me feel better that I’m not alone.

@DomesticKat do you always wear the extensions? Are they hard to take care of? So curious how you like them.

@honeybadger155 so great you rock short hair, I wish I could! Yeah I think .5 a week makes sense for leaning out again, to prevent it from happening again.
  • loserjuice
    loserjuice Posts: 1 Member
    my hair has been thinning as well, i believe its due to the stress of work and to the changes of my eating habits. so glad i'm not alone!
  • sabihac7618
    sabihac7618 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi there, I’ll give you some ancient Asian wisdom, I am of South Asian/ East Indian descent, and my grandmas used to massage coconut oil into their scalp and apply it to the entire length of hair in sections, wrap a towel around it and sleep overnight. Next morning wash twice with shampoo and once with conditioner. Your hair will be soft smooth manageable and voluminous!
  • VS_model_body
    VS_model_body Posts: 5 Member
    Try the grow gorgeous serum. I have A LOT of hair, I mean really thick and long wavy/curly hair. Last year I was on birth control I had hair fall and it freaked me out. Nobody believed me because I have so much hair that you didnt see the hair fall. But itis really depressing to see bunches of hair in your hand while washing. I used supplements and changed the pill, so the hair stopped falling. I started the serum too and my hair is literally growing like crazy now, very thick and shiny. Try it.
  • VS_model_body
    VS_model_body Posts: 5 Member
    Oh and definitely take iron supplements with vit. C. People tend to lose hair while dieting if iron drops under sertain levels (for most under 50 ferritin). Optimal ferritin levels for hair growth are above 70.
  • Sparkle7
    Sparkle7 Posts: 15 Member
    Yes. This happened to me. Have your thyroid levels checked.

Viviscal Pro is what my derm recommended
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    I lost a LOT of it about 4 years ago - extreme stress from job and psychotic ex husband. I've always worn my hair well past my shoulders and I had to basically cut it off because it got so thin. The good news is that after removing the stress, it started growing back pretty well. Check your thyroid - it can cause hair loss. I'd add in a good Collagen supplement as well.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Collagen and Biotin have helped me a lot!
  • l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Hi there, I’ll give you some ancient Asian wisdom, I am of South Asian/ East Indian descent, and my grandmas used to massage coconut oil into their scalp and apply it to the entire length of hair in sections, wrap a towel around it and sleep overnight. Next morning wash twice with shampoo and once with conditioner. Your hair will be soft smooth manageable and voluminous!

Although I believe this may work for some, a word of caution!
    I tried this once and I couldn't get the oil out for DAYS. It was absolute horror. Washed in multiple times with everything I could think of and I just stayed greasy.
    Not my best week. :p
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    I knew about hair loss problem in keto/low carb woe and it happened to me. My doctor recommented daily intake of 20 mg Zinc.I have to wait 3 months or until November to see any result.💇🏽‍♀️👩🏽
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    The hair loss doesn't always happen on Keto/LC. It didn't with me, but then again I only had 35 lbs to lose (did that in just over 3 months). That was before menopause, now that I'm thru that I notice less armpit and leg hair, but not head hair so that's a bonus, lol.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Biotin and hair/skin/nail gummies with collagen have helped me. Every time I start to drop a few more pounds, I start to lose hair again - I see it in my brush, and on the shower floor. But since I've started that combination, the amount I lose during these drops is much less.