Struggling to make protein and calorie goals

THachAb
THachAb Posts: 63 Member
Hi there! I’m three weeks into Keto and am noticing a recurring challenge for me is to get my protein goal in and get enough calories without going over in carbs. I’m currently 147lbs (down 10 since starting Keto) with a goal weight of 130lbs. Macros are set at 20g carb (6%), 98g (29%)for protein and 97g(65%)for fat

Usually toward the end of the day my carbs are at at their limit (roughly 20 g) and I’m slightly above in fats but protein is below and I’m still way short in calorie intake (i.e hovering around 900-1000 when my goal should be around 1350. Obviously I’m making some incorrect food choices but not sure how to adjust. I’m sticking to Keto approved foods (eggs, cheese, veggies such as broccoli, leafy greens, nuts, meat and fish).
Are there some ideas for higher protein, calorie dense foods that I may be missing?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Eat more meat? Maybe? Unless you are vegetarian?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Bacon, sausage, sandwich meat or canned chicken. You have to find a way to add more meat into your day. Or a protein shake as I’ve seen some people to. I prefer food myself, but that’s just me. Everyone finds their groove and what works for them.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Buy a container of chicken breast and bake/grill the entire container. Each day grab a chicken breast or two and you will get where you need to be without wrecking your fat macro. Some Bolthouse farms ranch will give it a kick as well.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Are you subtracting fiber from your carbs? Net carbs make it easier to stay in carb limits and I would reccomend doing that when you're first starting out.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    U can cut carbs by limiting the nuts. Sugar free beef jerky or pork rinds as snacks will up the protein without increasing carbs
  • THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you for all the replies! I have some good ideas to try! Things aren’t horribly out of whack, I think I just need to tweak a bit!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Chicken breast, turkey breast and egg whites are my go-tos for extra protein without adding a lot of fat. As qweck3 said above, pre-cook the chicken/turkey and then you can either eat it cold or pop it in the microwave if you want it hot.