Post meal blood sugar.

rmmahoney
rmmahoney Posts: 2 Member
I have been Keto now for about two weeks and I know I was getting into type 2 diabetes range. Anyways, after listening to Dr. Ken Berry I went out and bought test strips for my glucometer. Back in July I had waking blood sugars in the low 100's to 115. Post meals usually under 140, but a few at 150 or a tad over.

Since I've been on Keto for the last two weeks my waking blood sugar has been in the mid to low 90's and afternoon test have shown me in the 80's. The question I have is is it normal on a ketogenitic way of eating for blood sugar to go down after a meal? In the evenings when I do a pre meal test and I may be 88, but an hour later I may be 84-86.

Today, after lunch my blood sugar was 74. My blood sugar before the meal was 94. I had been IF since 6pm the evening before, so it had been about 18 hours. I normally test about an hour after I eat, but this time I got busy and it was closer to 2. I know that all eating stimulates insulin, is this just an insulin response and perfectly normal?

Thanks.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Morning highs are normal (for some people at least) - it's called the dawn phenomenon. Basically it's just your liver dumping glucose into the blood stream to aid in the waking process. Some people see it get lower when eating Keto and some don't.

The post-prandial glucose (after eating) is a fantastic number! This basically means that your body is doing what it should and is taking care of glucose spikes (normal after any meal) very efficiently. This is also a good indicator that are not insulin resistant and not well on your way to full blown T2D.
  • rmmahoney
    rmmahoney Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks. I guess it just freaked me out a little. I am so used to seeing blood sugar going up after a meal, just weird seeing it go down.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited January 2019
    In a normally functioning human body, the BG readings will go up in the first hour and then taper off or go down after that. It's when the readings aren't going down within the 2 hour window that you need to start worrying (or if they spike out above 160 (I believe)).

Just to add my n=1 experience, I have never had a morning reading above 95 and have had some readings in the mid to low 70's. My typical post prandial readings never get much above 120, depending on what I am eating.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2019
    Let’s see what impacts the two meals had on my blood sugar:

ismcn9ck4754.png

two-meals

Just depends how many carbs and or sugar are in your meal