Fellow Diabetics, any thoughts on Ozempic?

Options
Genmon02
Genmon02 Posts: 17 Member
Hello everyone,

I was an active member for about two years and followed an LCHF woe. I lost 45 lbs and my diabetes was very well controlled. Over the last 18 months, I managed to gain the weight back :( and my A1C is 8.6 even though I am taking the metformin. Anyhoo, I re-started my WOE since Jan 1 and I have lost about 8 lbs so far. I'm also exercising 3-4 a week. I saw my DR at the beginning of January and followed up this week. The DR says that I needed to start additional meds to control the depletion of my insulin. He started me on a sample of Ozempic. He says a side effect is weight loss.
Since taking it I have no hunger and actually a little bit nauseous. I am not a fan of taking meds but I feel like it the consequence of not taking care of myself that last year and a half. :(

Has anyone taken this medication? Is it helpful? What are your experiences? Should I look out for any additional side effects since I am low-carb? TIA for your help. :)

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound great.:( it looks like it slows gastric emptying while increasing the amount of insulin you create... more insulin sounds like something one with insulin resistance does not need. Kwim?

I started keto becsuse of prediabetic BG and climbing insulin levels. It looks like ozempic might help with bg levels but not insulin. Low carb, or keto or fasting, should help with both eventually. If you do take the drug, you may need to stop, sooner rather than later. A good thing. ;)

The possible side effects are not small. https://www.ozempic.com/about/how-ozempic-works.html be sure to stay aware of how you are feeling.

Welcome back. Good to see you again. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to your health journey, missed ya!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes so I can't speak from that perspective. However, I have MANY diabetics in my family and if my mom or anyone else showed me the information about this medication I would be quite worried. This seems like a medication that should only be taken as a last resort or perhaps never.

You've just gotten back to healthier eating and exercising, and are doing great. Do you recall how long it took for you to get your diabetes under better control last time? What are the potential ramifications of your blood sugar remaining at this level for a period of time as you re-acclimate to keto and increased exercise?

Please note this is not medical advice. I am a doctor but not in a medical field. If you need advice on the governance and management of nonprofit organizations, I'm your person - lol!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is not medical advice but as a fellow diabetic you may want to consider a bit more intense approach to get that A1C down. Have you considered going strict keto for a while? I did strict keto for about 3 months and that basically rebooted my body into fat adapted mode, got me off of all pills and now I am back to more low carb levels with a few Keto days thrown in throughout the week. A1C is now 5.1 (102 average) after being as high as 7.1 a few years back. No pills just proper nutrition and exercise.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I assume you are type 2? Are you testing BG at home? If yes, at what times pre/post meals and what results are you seeing?

Disclaimer: I'm not a physician and not qualified to give medical advice online.

I'm a type 1 diabetic, formerly a "double diabetic" (I had insulin resistance so bad that I was both type 1 and type 2 for several years). My understanding is that the increased output of insulin is what causes type 2's to lose pancreatic function. A drug that increases insulin output could be harmful in that way vs. taking exogenous insulin.

Then there are risks of exogenous insulin as well - getting the timing and dose right so that you don't go low. Still, a steady basal type insulin (such as Lantus) would seem to make more sense for long-term results than a drug like Ozempic. It's a matter of whether you are willing to risk taking insulin long-term vs. taking it short-term while losing weight in hopes of avoiding long-term insulin use.

In any case, is this dr. an endocrinologist? If not, I suggest getting a more expert opinion from an endo.