Keto/Low Carb Results using Dexafit Data

qweck3
qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
I started my weight loss journey a little over a year ago at 286 pounds and through a lot of failures I was also able to find some useful tools along the way. Something that has really allowed me to dig deeper in setting my next 4-5 month goals is testing done at a Dexafit facility.

Today, I completed my 5-month Dexascan, V02 Max and RMR test and they all confirmed that Yoga and Keto have worked in a major way in resetting my body for the future and that the path is now wide open to take my health and fitness to another level. I’ve attached the images for anyone interested in the kind of data these reports provide as the home scale just isn't enough. How do you know that you are not losing lean and bone mass instead of fat? The data dates back to May of last year historical wise as the facility only opened in April last year. Rest of the weight I lost before the report.

Dexascan (Full body scan while laying on a medical grade body scanner)

The scan revealed that my fat mass including the dangerous visceral fat had dropped significantly in the past 5 months and that I am now in the best shape I’ve been in for 20+ years.
It confirmed that Yoga and the way I’ve been eating works for my body but that I could go to another level by starting to lift more weights to improve my lean mass.

V02 (Treadmill test that measure oxygen intake)

The test showed that I am ok when running on a flat surface.
However, I have a lot of room to improve on the cardio side once I leave a flat surface and that I need to start running a lot more on an elevated climb to improve this area of my life.

Resting Metabolic Rate (Breath test that measures calorie needs, resting heart rate and fat/sugar burn levels)

The test indicated that my body has comfortably settled into being fat adapted by using fat as the primary fuel but that it is also comfortable with using carbs(sugar) as a secondary fuel source when needed. .81 RER reading.
It also showed how many calories I now burn at rest and has given me the road map for exactly how many calories I need to eat to either maintain, lose or gain weight.
My metabolism is normal within the -5 to +5 deviation.
My smart watch actually works properly heart rate wise as it was an exact to the measured RMR test rate over 18 minutes.

What is next

Finish up my current exercise plan through March 31 since I have a 40 days of Yoga Baptiste project planned and then switch over to a more balanced exercise plan from April to August that includes inclined running and weight lifting.
Continue to eat the exact way I am eating currently with a Low carb/Low carb/Keto/Low carb/Low carb/Keto/Low carb plan.

Other Notes

A few finishing thoughts as I’ve had some folks reach out to me with questions recently. (Note: I am in no way medically trained and am just a guy that has figured out a path to some success after lots of failures):

Keto: Play with the protein/fat percentages. This isn’t a one size fits all approach. What works for one person may not work for the other. When you do set your protein macro shoot to hit that number daily or even exceed it: Your body needs this. Fat is there to get you to satiety but not a macro that needs to be targeted. Carbs: be strict on this if your goal is ketosis with the plan to go fat adapted for the first 2 months or so. However, carbs should not be demonized either. It’s like an instant fuel to get you off the starting line. If you use it up and empty the tank there is no major harm done. I had plenty of days where I hit 55 net carbs and stayed in ketosis because I took them in right before a CrossFit workout etc.

Bathroom scale: Deposit into the nearest garbage can where it belongs and put on a tight piece of clothing weekly while taking pictures. The scale does more damage mentally to folks and they become a slave to it and is a reason so many people don’t make it past a month to 6 weeks. You are more than a number on a $10 device! Give yourself time and the results will come.

Food/Calories: Eat! But eat in a smart way to fuel your body needs. Don’t be the fool that jacks up your metabolism long term by starving yourself. One of the craziest things I saw around January 1 was someone saying they were going to eat 600 calories a day and burn a 1000 on the treadmill every day.

Rant: You did not put on 50-100 pounds more than needed in 2 months so stop thinking you can get rid of it that fast. Change your lifestyle long term and your body will heal itself.

Suggestion: If you have not started watching the Real Skinny on Fat I recommend getting started as it will help you to understand this process so much better. It's a long series so it takes time. Episode 2 was very very good and worth the 2 hours.

Good luck and keto on! You can do this!

vavd5u9wwp6o.png
3y2f3g5606eu.png
8gi6q246738w.png
snvo3rd2cjx2.png
a66ej8jmc7uk.png
zdhclghbpelx.png

Replies

• KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Thank you for sharing it was very informative. You have been there, done it and so this information and advice is solid. You Rock!
  • Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 55 Member
    Thank you for sharing, this is very interesting. This shows how far you've come and gives a solid blueprint for your future goals. Love it! Wondering if there is a Dexafit in my area. I love that it measures the visceral fat too- what I'm mostly concerned with but have no idea where I'm at. I'm glad you mentioned throwing out the scale - I had an explained gain this week and it got me down for a couple of days.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    I think it is valuable data and worth the investment. Just hard data to help you get to the goals you have without wasted effort. They are opening more and more facilities and are in almost every major city now. The price is very reasonable especially if it has a groupon as well.

I was really happy when they told me the visceral fat on this report was fine after being bad the last two scans.

The scale is such a bad thing in the first 4-5 months of a weight loss journey. People get so down because they see a 0.4 pound loss. Yet, if they had stuck it out all those 0.4, 0.7, 0.9 type losses add up over a year to a big number.
  • __Chanda__
    __Chanda__ Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks for sharing your results. I took a body scan at my physician's office that has similar measurements. I'm looking forward to seeing my progress in a few months. Good job!!! You inspire others.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Awesome, thank you for sharing!