Hair loss and collagen

Options
amdev23_23
amdev23_23 Posts: 68 Member
I’ve been on keto for about 7 months and my hair has really started to fall out, every time I shower there’s a good amount of hair sitting on the drain when I’m through. It’s gotten to the point that I’ve really noticed my hair thinning out. I like my thick hair, and as vain as it may sound, I’m getting married later this year, I don’t want thin hair with less options for my wedding day 😔.

I’ve read a few things about keto causing hair loss. One of the main things is protein, but I already eat more than the recommended 20% of protein for keto, so I feel like that isn’t my issue.

Another thing my research has lead to me to collagen supplementation. Does any one have experience with collagen? What kind would you recommend? I’m torn between capsules or powder. I feel like I don’t have any way to easily consume the powder, so that leads me to capsules, but I read to get the right amount you have to take like 6 a day.

Did you have hair loss with low carb/keto? How did you fix it? I’d love to hear some real life experiences! Thank you!

Replies

• KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The 1st time I did keto 2 years ago I lost a lot of hair in the 1-4 months phase.
    I have very fine and thin hair to start with due to PCOS and like you it freaked me out.
    Guess what, stress will make it worse!
    It did grow back but In the mean time I lightened my hair (professionally) a little and parted it on the side.

From being on mfp and youtube I have found that it happens a lot.
    Do I know why? no.
    It could be losing weight too fast, not enough of some vitamin or mineral, protein, stress or hormonal changes. There could be different reasons for each person.

This time doing keto/low carb (10 weeks) although it is early days, I have not had any hair loss.

I STRONGLY suggest that you go to your doctor, tell them you are doing low carb, and have been for 7 months and ask them to draw blood to see if there is anything they can see.
    If this started 7 months in then something has changed.
    If something is off you know, then you and your doctor can address it.

Also as your wedding gets closer the stress is going to ramp up! See your doctor NOW (and don't speculate) because it could be an easy fix :)

Zandra
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am 4 months in and have noticed the hair loss as well. Chunks come out during my showers. I am thinning on my my side. I have PCOS and my dads side of the family has thinning hair...so yay me!

I take collagen, when I remember, in powder form. I mix a little scoop in a glass of water and drink it. It really doesn't have much of a taste. I also bought some castor oil and mixed some tea tree oil and massage my scalp with it at night and let it sit there all night.

I am also taking Omega-3 and Folic Acid to help with it. I don't know how much of it will grow back, but I am being hopeful.

I read a few days ago, that sometimes hair loss can come from a trauma from up to 6 months ago. I was going through a break up in mid June...so it kind of makes sense for me at this time...but who knows!

Good luck! And may we all go back to our Rapunzel stages! :wink:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Eat more meat. Hair loss is often associated with low protein intake.