MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES - February 2019

Options

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Saturday Check-in, Sunday Plans

You must be so close to your goal. Would you feel comfortable to share how close?

Hey @sunshineplace -- Wow! And thank you! I am down 115 from when I first weighed in on MFP (I weighed 270 at highest that I know of). I am 10.4 pounds away from my Goal #1 of 140 pounds US. My next number that I will be super excited about is 145, as I will no longer be officially overweight when I get below 145. A BMI calculator I checked says that a normal adult weight for my height is between 107.8-145.7, so I do think I will end up lower (125?).
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Monday Night Check-in

Calories: under
    Water: not quite there; working on the last of it now
    Exercise: 30 minute step aerobics, 45 min outdoor walk, some martial arts forms practice

Steps for 02/25 - 13,819
  • samuel860
    samuel860 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Username: samuel860
    Weigh in Week: 4
    Weigh in Day: Tuesday
    Previous Weight: 190
    Current Weight: 192.6
    I don't how to stop eating ? since I'm back in my old office we have breakfast with all the guys then lunch, at home I must have some me time with my wife over dinner - I;m losing it
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Kres567 wrote: »
    UTMom81 wrote: »
    Monday Check In
    Calories: under
    Water: not enough
    Exercise: Gym workout: elliptical, circuit training, arctrainer; early morning walk; got in over 10k steps which is my goal right now.

The Good: I have planned main meals for the week; tried a new recipe tonight that was really good!

The Bad: my focus--can't seem to keep doing good for a long stretch yet

The Ugly: I've eaten a lot of things the last few months that have sabotaged my prior progress. BUT, it's over! I'm done with that nonsense. Time to start fresh.

Do share your recipe when you get a moment!

Here you go! Hubby even asked to have the leftovers another night this week and he HATES leftovers.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/light-ham-tetrazzini/
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    UTMom81
    Tuesday Weigh In (beginning for March)
    Current: 156
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Daily check in: Feb 25
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Under
    water -over
    Exercise: aqua size 120 mins
    steps- 6105
    todays plan- swimming ,stay under 20 carbs,drink coffee and stay warm -30 here today
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    digger61 wrote: »
    Daily check in: Feb 25
    Track: Yes
    Calories: Under
    water -over
    Exercise: aqua size 120 mins
    steps- 6105
    todays plan- swimming ,stay under 20 carbs,drink coffee and stay warm -30 here today

Are you as sick of winter and the cold temps as I am??

Great job on the swimming - its so good for you!
  • Kres567
    Options
    samuel860 wrote: »
    Username: samuel860
    Weigh in Week: 4
    Weigh in Day: Tuesday
    Previous Weight: 190
    Current Weight: 192.6
    I don't how to stop eating ? since I'm back in my old office we have breakfast with all the guys then lunch, at home I must have some me time with my wife over dinner - I;m losing it

Eating out makes it so hard to track and count calories. Are there any lighter options like egg white omelettes or salads at lunch?
  • Kres567
    Options
    UTMom81 wrote: »
    UTMom81
    Tuesday Weigh In (beginning for March)
    Current: 156

Wow Tami - you did pretty well in February for not being on track with everything. I think you must still have some great habits that are part of your every day. So happy to have you back on the challenge list!
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    @broncobuddee I will be changing my weigh in day to Wednesday so I will post tomorrow instead of Thursday. Thanks.
  • sunshineplace
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain thank you for sharing your weight loss journey. That is truly inspiring. Can I ask what made you decide to transform your life? And how did you get started? What kind of diet exercise plan did you use?

@tess5036 I would love to know a little more about your journey too if you are willing to share. Are you currently at your goal?

@samuel860 I’m sorry to hear about your struggles. I don’t know about you but for me I am learning that I have to take it a meal at a time sometimes. I get so wrapped up in that all or nothing mentality. That if I mess up then I give up because I already fell off the wagon. I am learning though that I should just put that bad meal/snack/moment of weakness aside and start fresh the next meal instead of throwing away my whole day. Another thing that is HUGE for me is preplanning and preparing. If I have a plan going into a difficult situation then I am less likely to cave into temptation. I hope this helps you.
  • sunshineplace
    Options
    @broncobuddee I am posting for @Jactop because she is unable to connect to MFP while on vacation.

@Jactop
    Monday

Steps
    Sunday the 24th 14,227
    Monday the 25th 17,101
  • broncobuddee
    broncobuddee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    @broncobuddee I will be changing my weigh in day to Wednesday so I will post tomorrow instead of Thursday. Thanks.

All set!
  • broncobuddee
    Options
    @broncobuddee I am posting for @Jactop because she is unable to connect to MFP while on vacation.

@Jactop
    Monday

Steps
    Sunday the 24th 14,227
    Monday the 25th 17,101

Thanks for the updates!
  • dee_toronto
    dee_toronto Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @sunshineplace I have the same challenge! I'm really good during the week, but the weekends are a train wreck and I think I eat more then than I do the entire week. Then I start the week despondent and frustrated with myself and even less likely to check in since I keep gaining weight. Am trying to get off this hamster wheel since its ineffective, but am not having much luck.
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    What a year. Last March I had a hip replacement, In July I found out I had liver cancer and had a liver resection in Sept which got rid of the cancer for now. Trying to get permisson to go back to work found out I had a hernia which I said to the doc 3 months ago. So off to the surgeon on Monday to see what is going to happen. On a good note my weight this week is going down
  • broncobuddee
    Options
    @sunshineplace I have the same challenge! I'm really good during the week, but the weekends are a train wreck and I think I eat more then than I do the entire week. Then I start the week despondent and frustrated with myself and even less likely to check in since I keep gaining weight. Am trying to get off this hamster wheel since its ineffective, but am not having much luck.

I don't have much to offer, other than I am in the same boat. Weekdays are so much easier for me - i kind of do an unintentional 16:8 IF where I don't eat breakfast (never really missed it, dating back to childhood, and from a hunger standpoint it's kind of a leaving sleeping dogs laying situation). My work days are really busy so I'm lucky to fit 500 calories in for lunch. That gives me 1,000 calories to spend from 6pm to bedtime.

Weekends also have a work structure to them (second job) but seem so much harder and carbs so much more appealing. Not sure what the scoop is yet...
  • broncobuddee
    Options
    digger61 wrote: »
    What a year. Last March I had a hip replacement, In July I found out I had liver cancer and had a liver resection in Sept which got rid of the cancer for now. Trying to get permisson to go back to work found out I had a hernia which I said to the doc 3 months ago. So off to the surgeon on Monday to see what is going to happen. On a good note my weight this week is going down

What a year indeed! I didn't realize you had faced all of that in such a short period. Best wishes on Monday!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Username:TeresaW1020
    Weigh in week:  Week 4
    Weigh in day: Tuesday
    Previous Weight: 218.4
    Todays Weight: 217.0

Super happy to see the scale go down this week! Especially considering the birthday party that I went to on Saturday. :)

Steps:
    2/25-6204
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain thank you for sharing your weight loss journey. That is truly inspiring. Can I ask what made you decide to transform your life? And how did you get started? What kind of diet exercise plan did you use?

@tess5036 I would love to know a little more about your journey too if you are willing to share. Are you currently at your goal?

@samuel860 I’m sorry to hear about your struggles. I don’t know about you but for me I am learning that I have to take it a meal at a time sometimes. I get so wrapped up in that all or nothing mentality. That if I mess up then I give up because I already fell off the wagon. I am learning though that I should just put that bad meal/snack/moment of weakness aside and start fresh the next meal instead of throwing away my whole day. Another thing that is HUGE for me is preplanning and preparing. If I have a plan going into a difficult situation then I am less likely to cave into temptation. I hope this helps you.

Hey @sunshineplace -- Here you go. I am zipping this up with the Spoiler feature since I said a lot.
    I had several things happen which just added up for me to "I must change my life." I went in for an annual checkup, and the doctor made a comment about my weight. When I got the result of my bloodwork online and looked up my chart, he had put "morbid obesity" on as an existing health condition. I took it on like a challenge. I know myself well enough to know that I can use something like that, and I decided "I'll show him." And by gosh, I am scheduling my physical this year after I am solidly in the "Normal" BMI range!

When I got started, I set the bar for success to a level I could reach, which would look really low to a lot of people. Like, "I will not eat a Reese's or a cinnamon roll today" low. Actually, back at the beginning, it was more like "I won't eat a Reese's or a cinnamon roll yet. Maybe later." That was a meal at a time, then a day at a time, a week at a time, and finally none. I knew I needed to give up sugar, and I finally did. It was my first big health change, back in January, 2018. It took a while for me to do that. And then it took a while for the cravings to go away, but they did. I now don't crave processed sweets. I do like fruit, though I have to eat it in moderation if I want my weight to go down. (If anyone reading this has a fraught relationship with some foods, you might check out the Bright Line Eating Food Freedom Quiz, and see what ideas that sparks.)

I did a lot of work on habits along the way, one at a time. I went vegan. I started planning meals. I started tracking all my food. I got careful about weighing all my food. I got careful about the time window, and having the kitchen close in the evening. As I got lighter, I started exercising more and more regularly, and set goals for that. I made changes one at a time. I kept each change at a level that was manageable for me, and didn't tackle anything new until I was reliable for the last new thing. (Resource: James Clear has some great articles, videos and a book about creating habits.)

As far as diet and exercise plans, it has been an evolution. I started with a fairly standard American diet minus the sugar (lost a little weight, but not a lot). Next was a vegan diet with no sugar (lost no weight over that first month, but felt noticeably better). Vegan diet, no sugar, high protein diet following strict MFP calorie counts was next, and I lost a couple of pounds a week steadily. My weight loss and health improvement really took off when I took on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's plan on Oct 1. I decided to try it, and stop if it didn't work for me after a few weeks. I had been doing research on diet and nutrition and realized that I might feel even better and get even better results if I tweaked what I was eating. I now eat a lot of vegetables, a fair amount of fruit, so a lot of fiber, and a good amount of fat from plant sources. If you are curious, see his books The End of Dieting or Eat to Live; here's an article with highlights. He has you focus your calories on nutrient-dense foods to help improve your health. The results have been great for me. I know this diet's not for everyone, but it works for me. I do enjoy what I am eating (your taste changes, and you can learn to enjoy different things). I am not hungry all the time, and it doesn't feel like a lot of work.

I hope this helps!

@samuel860 - I, too, was sorry to hear about your struggles. I ended up enlisting the help of my spouse and child. I am not sure what would work for you, but throw that thought out there, just in case. For example, we now don't always eat the same thing for dinner, and we go for walks in the neighborhood together for some of that social time. So hang in there, keep experimenting, and you'll eventually find something that works for you.

@TeresaW1020 - Go you! Great weigh-in!

@digger61 - Wow. What a year. I am super impressed you are making the scale go down with all that going on.

@broncobuddee - This seems so smart: "I don't eat breakfast (never really missed it, dating back to childhood, and from a hunger standpoint it's kind of a leaving sleeping dogs laying situation)."
This discussion has been closed.