Question re: exercise calories and carb limits

Options
JeromeBarry1
JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
Hello. I read, I think it was at livestrong.com, that a person in ketosis who first burned calories in vigorous cardio could then consume a suitably sized carb snack without harming his/her ketosis status.

I've been re-introducing cardio exercise during the 9 days of my keto experience, but have been unsure of 'how' to eat exercise calories.

In my previous high-carb weight loss experience, I'd follow a high calorie cardio workout with a kefir and protein shake. The protein powder I use is the cheap Body Fortress brand with a high carb content. The total calories of that shake is 263, with 8 grams net carbs, 8 grams fat, and 34 grams protein. I'd like to continue having this, for one thing it's delicious, as often as I have a big cardio burn.

Monday morning, yesterday, my ketone strip indicated a "Trace" level of about 0.5 mmol/dl.
Yesterday around noon I did a vigorous hour of cardio. I felt good doing it. The machine credited me with 1081 calories burned, and I made no effort to eat any calories.

Today, this morning, my ketone strip indicated in the range of 8 mmol/dl. My suspicion is that I can exceed the 20 gram limit of carbs with an 8 carbs gram shake on such a day as yesterday.
Am I correct in this?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Totally.

Currently I'm lifting weights 80-90 min 6x/week and I can have up to about 100g of carbs and still seem to stay in ketosis...though, I don't test...but I can pretty accurately guess based on how I feel and if I'm having cravings/headaches...I usually have the bulk of carbs post-workout and it does seem to improve recovery.

I think at one point we had a guy on here lifting and doing cardio and still recording ketosis after 200g of carbs in a day.

The more active you are the higher your carb tolerance will be while still staying in ketosis, so give it a try and I would love to hear your results.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Thanks. Dr. Annette Bosworth's book "Any Way You Can", subtitled, "A beginner's guide to keto", should have been subtitled, "A sedentary beginner's guide to keto". There's not a word in the book about active lifestyles or exercising.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You might consider looking into a Carb Cycled Ketogenic Diet.

Anecdotally, I've had plenty of rides were I went stupidly hard after a carb heavy day and felt like I was back in regular ketosis the next day, where 100-200g or more of carbs should have seen me out.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Empty the tank of carbs right away with an intense exercise and you can likely avoid being kicked out of ketosis with an 8 gram item.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    That idea I had, of using a fairly low carb protein shake, knocked my whole day out of whack. I'm going to have to find a different way of getting my protein, something with more fat.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Out of whack how? Just a strip test, or feeling terrible, or poor recovery? Are you willing to share the details?
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Out of whack with protein high.

I've added several olives, it's late in the day here, to get my fat to 65% and protein at 25%.
    Carbs are at 5%. Slightly more than 4% is unaccounted for in the various roundings.

I feel ok.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    It's Thursday morning. In addition to consuming olives late in the day, I also consumed cheese and peanut butter. I ended with under my calorie goal with 2366 calories, 5% carb, 67% fat, and 24% protein.
    I tested positive for ketosis this morning. I'm satisfied that I can indeed exercise, eat my protein, and stay in ketosis.

Prior to my keto effort, my goal had been only to exercise and eat protein.