Longevity of cellular memory: Fat Adaptation

I was 'fat adapted' a couple, few times over the past couple of years and was wondering, mainly at Mr. FitGoat, how long does the body retain the ability to easily switch between high Carb and low carb?

I'm curious because I'm finding myself very easily going in and out with very little problem. I'm also losing weight at a wonderful pace.

Also this go around, I'm NOT having the aggression/hostile/manic spells I had during the prior attempts.

It's only been about a month. And there have been three high carb days. Or four.

Thank you!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I will say, for me, ketosis, comes really fast now! Within the second and third meals I could feel the cramps (even though I take magnesium and get the sodium! I know all of this already!!!) and can taste the ketones (Dragon breath!!)! It was shocking after being higher (yet still low) carb for the past two years of maintaining how quickly the symptoms were showing themselves!

I guess it is a cellular memory as you put it. It was like they were happy to be back in charge again and kicked the sugar burning to the curb!!

I can understand where you’re coming from! But I’m not seeing the weight loss like you, though I’m seeing the inches falling off. This is how it was for me the first go around. I was in size XL pants in December when I began and now size L are getting loose, but I’ve only lost 5 pounds!
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    What's better inches or pounds? :D
    I should measure, huh?
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    I second measuring.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    You have to be aware of your fat intake if you’re going to have high carb days. That’s where you fiddle with your blood metrics by mixing high fat and high carb.
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    You have to be aware of your fat intake if you’re going to have high carb days. That’s where you fiddle with your blood metrics by mixing high fat and high carb.

Thanks, Sunny_Bunny :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    What's better inches or pounds? :D
    I should measure, huh?
    I would say that measuring kept me from throwing in the towel and giving up many times before! It helped me learn not to trust the scale and see it for the liar that it can be!!