Under 15 carbs a day and around 1000 calories for a sedentary life-style?

budonyan
budonyan Posts: 38 Member
edited February 2019 in Social Groups
Hey everyone-- I'm just curious if this seems 'extreme'
I have had a hip replacement in recent years (due to a bone tumor disease in my synovial fluid) and had weight gain during recovery.
I lost weight after recovery by the routine 20 - 50 carbs a day Atkins plan and went from 160lb to 132lb
At around 137lbs I was able to walk normally, even run and have a very active lifestyle. The lower weight, the more miraculous a hip replacement seems.

Theeeen the holidays recently happened and I completely caved in to every decedent carby thing. I went from 130lbs to 165lbs. Recently I got to 156lbs (in a week) recently by following a strict 10-15 carb a day diet (with around 1000 calories)
When I was at 165lbs I was feeling constant pain, unable to do basic household chores and even sitting was painful-- as my pounds drop I am feeling better and better. I can do dishes again! Though that's all I am allowing myself to do.
I JUST ran out of insurance and am basically self doctoring at the moment. When I was on insurance my docs didn't have a problem with keto at all, but I am doing a waaay more extreme version of it.

I am keeping my electrolytes up, drinking tons of water and take various vitamins. My diet is 90% vegan based foods (cabbage, spinach, nuts, tofu and olive oil mostly) with the weekly beef patty.

Do I feel tired? Not at all. I have had more energy than ever-- just my hip isn't ready to keep up with me since I'm not below 140lbs yet. I am feeling very good but my mom calls me and worries me about keto-ing with random click bait articles. It's my mom, I can't help but be intimidated when she tries to fear-monger me.

What do you think? Is this TOO extreme? I just want to walk without pain and get back to being active. I'm SOOOOO restless!! I'm also 27 if that means anything. This has been going on for two weeks.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Honestly? Yes. It is too extreme, especially when not being monitored by a doctor. I highly doubt you are getting adequate protein and nutrients with this crash diet.

I get the reason you feel a sense of urgency, but you won't starve yourself healthy.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2019
    You didn't put the weight on in a day and it won't go away in a day so give yourself time to do this in a healthy way. No issue with low carbs since your path is keto but I'm with Fit_Goat on this one in that your protein is likely lacking. If you aren't feeding the body that critical macro it can't repair itself.

There are ways to get some nice workouts in: Do some seated weights. It doesn't have to be anything too heavy to get some work in. Some light floor based yoga could be a possibility as its a great workout without much impact.
  • budonyan
    budonyan Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks guys---!! gonna keep carbs low and add 500-800 cals a day in protein rich foods!!
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Hi,

I am doing between 10 -15 net carbs and 1200 calories spread between 3 meals. I have been doing this since December with a very sedentary lifestyle and I am 54. My body likes this and it works for me, I am not in a rush to lose the weight so that isn't my thing. If you look at my profile I have committed to keto and tracking for a year, it feels right. I eat ALL my fat and protein and I am not hungry. There are lots of ways to do keto and this is mine.

But I do not have an injury, and I agree with qweck3 that currently your body is in repair mode and for that you should up your protein.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    @budonyan you noted in another thread post that you have been diagnosed with Celiac disease lately. Please go through ALL your vitamins with your local pharmacist, all your personal care products such as shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and make-up, and check the ingredient listings carefully. Hidden gluten from tablet ingredients, thickeners, moisturizing or texturizing agents are a killer. They can cause pain, fatigue, swelling and weight gain. You may have ingested or absorbed via skin contact something you shouldn't have over the holidays. For a bit more help here's the Gluten Free MFP threads: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112-gluten-free
    I also agree with the protein comments above. Good luck!