Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Struggling with Sweets

randhusamrandhusam Posts: 6Member Member Posts: 6Member Member
Hi everyone,
I have started eating clean and its going well so far. However, i struggle with with sweets - i come from a middle-eastern background where sweets and baklava are always around and being a sweet-tooth, it is a hard habit to break. Any tips for how to control sugar cravings or any healthy ways to make dessert? (sorry if this is stupid question)

Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• Seayboy81Seayboy81 Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    Hey, I struggle also. I try to get something that is naturally sweet, like fruit. I also eat yogurt and stay away from foods that have added sugars.
  • carakirkeycarakirkey Posts: 137Member Member Posts: 137Member Member
    I typically crave a sweet after dinner. Brushing my teeth and having a cup of tea seem to help. And if I still crave a sweet, I have a piece of fruit. I also try not to keep any desserts in the house to tempt me.
  • sdudley08sdudley08 Posts: 29Member, Premium Member Posts: 29Member, Premium Member
    I definitely don't have any answers here. What I've been doing is restricting my sugar intake. I try to limit it to less than 10% on any given day. But I'll allow myself 2 caramels and a sugar free hot chocolate, for instance, and then nothing else. That seems to be working so far.
  • gt0186bgt0186b Posts: 46Member Member Posts: 46Member Member
    After I went 2 weeks without any sugar, I was able to control the cravings much easier. Now a hand full of blueberries will satisfy the craving when I get one. I can now have the occasional sweet and not reset to day 1.
  • alliewynnealliewynne Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I am a straight up sugar monster. I agree that teeth brushing and tea after dinner can be very helpful, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it for me. I love doing sliced strawberries with a little coconut cream for a healthy dessert!
  • Crafty_camper123Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,057Member Member Posts: 1,057Member Member
    I'm not sure how this falls into clean eating, but I'm all for a piece of dark chocolate. The darker the better. For me, since the chocolate flavor is so strong, it takes less to be satisfied with it. So one or two pieces is all I need. Also, really dark chocolate like 75-85% is going to be lower in sugar.
    If you can't fit the calories or sugars in for a small piece of chocolate, then herbal tea is another of my go to's if I'm having the "something sweet" craving. They even make a chocolate flavored tea for the chocolate lovers out there!
    And of all things, sugar-free gum. It gives my mouth something sweet to chew on, but isn't enough calories to be reportable.

edited February 26
  • anthocyaninaanthocyanina Posts: 64Member Member Posts: 64Member Member
    I try not to mindlessly eat sweets just because they are there, especially what I consider non-special sweets (donuts, twinkies, candy bars, packaged cookies, etc).

To me, baklava is a special treat, and it's not around very often, so I'll let myself have one and enjoy it. Because it's super sweet and I don't eat desserts every day, one is enough.

Although you have access to baklava more than I do, you can still say NO to what is less special, knowing that you are saving your dessert calories for something better.

Ordinarily when I want something sweet I'll eat fresh fruit (in-season fruit is sweeter, more delicious, and more satisfying than out-of-season), or a handful of raisins, or a date. When you don't eat desserts every day raisins and dates can seem like candy. Which they are, in fact, nature's candy, and you get the bonus of nutrients along with their sugar content.
  • snwangel831snwangel831 Posts: 6Member Member Posts: 6Member Member
    I joined 6 days ago and I'm in the process of reducing my sugars. I'm not really big into sweets, or so I thought until I started tracking them! Every time I want a sweet, I drink a huge glass of water. If I still want it, I check my food diary. It's usually enough to knock the idea out of my head. I go for a handful of cashews & unsweetened dried cranberries. I know if I can get through 10 days then the cravings will drop! Good luck!