Living the Lifestyle Fri. 2/8/19

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for February are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - gadgetgirlIL (Regina)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - jerdtrmndone (Jerry)

Today's Topic: Metabolism: Do you think past dieting effects your metabolism?
Any ideas how to get your metabolism rate in to a burning mood ?

I believe everyone has a different metabolism rate. When I was younger I couldn’t gain weight for trying now it’s hard to get it off so I don’t have the slightest ideal how metabolism works.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that too often people are so focused on total weight lost that they neglect exercise and resistance training in particular and end up losing muscle mass along with fat.

In addition as we get older we have to work harder to attenuate age related muscle loss.

What I have found being on the other side of 50 and menopause is that my diet quality matters as much as the calories. I need more protein and less refined carbs. I also need to be in the weight room 3 days a week.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    Right now I think focusing on eating healthy amounts and foods is where my most successful focus would be in retooling my lifestyle. In addition, I second @gadgetgirlIL comments on being active and maintaining muscle mass. Both take an effort to develop a longer term solution.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don't know the reason, but my metabolism is definitely slower, and sluggish. I lose slower and sporadically. I'd guess it's a combination of repeated dieting, age, a sedentary life style and muscle loss. And the reality is, being sedentary (I'm no longer chasing kids 24/7) and muscle loss are the only two I can do anything about. And I am working on that, slowly.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot of time reading primary research and reviews on this topic a few years ago (around my old "Deep Thoughts" series trying to figure out the PointsPlus WW plan). I am not an expert, but I have a sense for what the experts think.

First, everyone does have a different overall metabolic rate.

Second, there are a lot of issues that contribute to your metabolic rate, some "know-able," and some "unknowable."

Third, I agree with whoever said above that as we lose weight, most of us lose mucle mass and that generally decreases our metabolic rate.

Finally, metabolic rates are absolutely the key drivers of the "how many calories you burn" side of the weight equation. If you want to crank-up your metabolic rate, gain weight, preferably in the form of muscle. Past that, there isn't that much that one can do to actively change it (provided there are no medical issues, like hypothyroidism, etc.).