Doing WW without doing WW

Options
Philtex
Philtex Posts: 918 Member
I did my WW under the Points Plus program. They are two or three programs later now. Since I no longer have access to the PP program, the way I 'do WW' is to assign foods point values by dividing calories by 40 (easier math than 36 or 37, whatever the actual number was). I still do the zero-point fruits and use a daily point total target of what I think was my last loss mode target. This works to some level of success, but it is not the same structure that helped me hit my goal weight back then.

For those Goadies who have crafted their own 'WW program', what have you come up with and how well does it work for you?

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I claim that I eat in an intuitive manner, but that is only partially correct. My "intuitive" eating starts from my old WW base. What I mean is that I generally understand what a portion size is, based on my old WW points (I used the Momentum Program to lose weight, i.e., before Points Plus). Thus, each of my three meals is the same portion that I used to eat when I was counting points. That way I know that if I only eat three meals a day (no snacks, no alcohol), I will come in "under" my WW points.

Past that it does become "intuitive," though, so I'm not sure that's incredibly helpful based on your question.

I will say that when I stick to the three meals a day plan (no snacks, no alcohol, throw in a little exercise), I lose weight.
  • Philtex
    Options
    I will say that when I stick to the three meals a day plan (no snacks, no alcohol, throw in a little exercise), I lose weight.
    Me too, but days with 'no snacks' are few and far between, unfortunately.
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @Philtex
    I lost and made lifetime under Points Plus program as well. I take a similar approach as you, remembering what the point values were or estimating. I still track in eTools and adjust my daily points accordingly.
    It would be nice if WW allowed access previous programs.

• lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,515 Member
    Options
    I regained LT under P+ and still prefer it to the newer programs. I WI once a month and maintain my status. I use IM until I get up close to my weight limit and get strict again with tracking until I build my buffer up and then go back to IM. If you are looking for an alternate program counting calories always works. Consume less than you burn and you lose weight.
  • Philtex
    Options
    Thanks guys. Steve, interesting slant to use portion control as a main driver.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Last time I started seeing scale creep I just started MFP calorie counting.

MFP says I should eat 1900 calories per day to maintain, 1700 to lose .5 lbs per week. About a year ago I counted calories for about a month. I know the calories for my typical meals now. If the scale reaches the red zone, I start logging on MFP. In the yellow zone I just try to keep track in my head. When I’m in the green zone, I might splurge here or there.

But my mindset and habits are to just aim between 1700 and 1900 calories.

I’ve managed to lower my line in the sand weight to 170lbs. While having a sprained ankle. I’m pretty pleased. Tracking works.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I do track current WW points, but like many of you, i initially lost most of my weight on PP, and still like it best! I don't totally trust the new plan, so my approach was to track in MFP for the first few weeks to be sure my calories weren't to high with all the 0 point foods. I haven't double tracked this week because my desire for 'more', think big portions and snacks, hasn't been an issue, so I'm confident I'm not overeating. My plan is to go back if I start to struggle with wanting more, my weight loss stalls, or I just have another horrendously challenging week (like the polar vortex one).

I also add in some intermittent fasting, in case it might help, and because a lot of times I'm not really hungry in the a.m. anyway, so if i don't snack after dinner, it's not that hard to get 18 hours in. And that's supposed to get my body burning fat (after 14 or 15 hours i think), so why not? I've definitely got fat to spare 🤣