So Cold

Options
jessetfan
jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
I've looked at the intro threads and couldn't find anything, so I wanted to ask a question. I've always run fairly warm, all this insulation helps, but for the past few days I've been freezing all the time. The house that was comfortably warm at 72 all winter now feels like I've gone outside without a jacket. Is this a side effect of eating low carb? My hands and feet are especially cold, but all of me feels like I just can't warm up unless I'm under a hot shower or in the pool swimming hard.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Could be many things, but I assume you've read all the advice about supplementing sodium while low-carb, right? One of the symptoms of hyponatremia (sodium deficiency): cold hands.
  • jessetfan
    Options
    Yes, I'm making sure to use liberal amounts of salt. I hadn't thought about hyponatremia, so I'll probably pick up some sodium tablets tomorrow as well.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You lose the most sodium in the first couple weeks. Look forward to keto-adaptation. :)
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A low-calorie diet can be one cause of an increased sensation of coldness, but hormonal irregularities, nutritional deficiencies and certain medical conditions may also be the cause. Feeling colder than others around you isn't always abnormal

Too Few Calories
    When you skip meals or consume too few calories, you may feel excessively cold. Your body senses that it doesn't have enough energy to keep you warm. Its priorities shift to supporting your organs and brain -- not creating heat to warm the body.

Nutritionally Deficient
    When you're eating a low-calorie diet, you might be missing out on certain essential nutrients. Fewer calories usually makes it impossible to fit in all the vitamins and minerals you need for good health. Menstruating women may find that a low-calorie diet makes them low in iron. Iron deficiency can lead to impaired body temperature regulation.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you, I have always run on the cold side and doing low carb has pushed me into an even colder area. For my part, I blame some of it on being a senior citizen.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Your body temperature is regulated by your thyroid, so please consider having that checked.
  • jessetfan
    Options
    Your body temperature is regulated by your thyroid, so please consider having that checked.

I've actually had blood work done recently, and my thyroid wasn't an area of concern. This is really sudden onset, so I'll try the sodium supplementation first and if that doesn't help I'll go back in for more blood tests. I think it may just be that the new way of eating is throwing my body for a bit of a loop.
  • jessetfan
    Options
    After checking several places my pharmacy was able to order me salt tablets that should be in tomorrow afternoon. I picked up some saltier foods from the grocery store, so I'm hoping that will help as well. I've never been a huge salt eater, so this is a bit of an adjustment for me.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Check the too few calories as well especially if you have typically run hot. I do, so I understand that! It's easy to think well I'm losing weight and "insulation" so that must be it. But, calorie restriction can cause you to feel cold as well and it's not a positive thing.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I run way hotter since keto than before...but that might actually be an age thing too..