Living the Lifestyle Fri. 14th

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for February are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - gadgetgirlIL (Regina)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - jerdtrmndone (Jerry)

Today's Topic: mental Health
Healthy living involves more than physical health, it includes emotional or mental health.
1) Do you feel you get enough sleep?
(2) If you are walking do you reflect on what you see and hear enjoying your walk?
(3) Do you do mind exercises like reading or maybe a puzzle?
(4) In your leisure time do you do things that interest you maybe a hobby?

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Options
    I average about 5 hrs. I know thi is not enough. DW’s health keeps her awake so it’s hard for me to get the proper sleep.

(2) If you are walking do you reflect on what you see and hear enjoying your walk?
    I enjoy walking and nature. I think it is calming and clears my mind.

I sometimes do a word puzzle and read. I enjoy playing cards.

I use to fish and bowl lost interest in fishing and had to give bowling up due to my back.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    (1) Do you feel you get enough sleep?
    Yes, I'm pretty set in my ways about getting bed early. 7:30pm is typical, but I am up before 4:30am so that normally gives me at least 8 hours

Absolutely! I never use any headphones. Smartphone is only used to take pictures. Too often I see people who just can't stop texting or talking while out in nature.

Not really, although I've been enjoying doing some data mining for a project at work. I'm having to utilize my programming and database skills to figure out the best way to analyze and present the data.

I'd say my long bike rides as well as my hiking of the Ice Age trail qualifies as a hobby! I enjoy figuring out the logistics for both types of adventures. I'm good at map reading and navigating. I'm heading off to Kentucky next weekend for 2 long rides. Been studying those routes and figuring out what gear I want to take based on the weather forecast.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    If I limit my fluid intake I can usually get a good 7 hrs, even if I do have to get up. 8 is a rarity

Can't walk too far as an exercise, so I generally listen to music

NY Times & USA Today Crossword each morning with coffee, some Sudoku at times, etc

I read, I bake & cook, I try to learn the hammered dulcimer and think about cleaning house
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Today's Topic: mental Health
    Healthy living involves more than physical health, it includes emotional or mental health.

1) Do you feel you get enough sleep? Usually at least 7 hours of real sleet (per FitBit) 7-8 is good. below 6.5 is not.

(2) If you are walking do you reflect on what you see and hear enjoying your walk? Because of my knees and back, coupled with the terrain around here, I don't walk outside, as a rule. Trying to get back to the treadmill. No "nature" just heavy metal in my ear buds.

(3) Do you do mind exercises like reading or maybe a puzzle? I play a fair amount of computer based Hearts, Mahjong, Klondike solitaire and Cribbage. Also an occasional crossword.

(4) In your leisure time do you do things that interest you maybe a hobby? My main hobby is goofing off. I am active in my Secular Franciscan fraternity, sing in the contemporary music group at church, and the Knights of Columbus.

All in all, pretty "engaged" with the world around me.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options

I generally sleep about 7 hours, which is plenty. Unfortunately, I wake up often, which is not fun.

I practice meditation when I walk. So, yes.

I like crosswords. I read. Plus, I am learning Spanish.

Language learning, writing, and hiking (when I make time).
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Definitely not! I probably get about 5.5 hours per night. Unfortunately, this seems to be a trade-off between sleeping and getting everything else I want to get accomplished! I work-out early because I know that if I don't, I won't. That has to come before I go to synagogue in the morning, and right after that I go to work. So...there isn't much available time.

I'll answer this as a runner. No, I don't usually reflect. I like to listen to podcasts as I like to have something "mental" to focus on.

Absolutely. I've always loved reading. I also like sudoku (sp?), but I recently had to remove an app for that because I was wasting too much time playing.

I like to read in my free time, and I combine that with Jewish studies, so I get the best of both worlds!
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    1) Do you feel you get enough sleep? Nope, but im working on it. I'm trying to get to bed (and lights out) by 11, and if I wake up before 7 I turn over and try to go back to sleep. I'm already feeling much better with just a few successful days this week and (including the last 2 in a row).
    (2) If you are walking do you reflect on what you see and hear enjoying your walk? Not walking right now, but when I do walk, I'm terrible at this unless I'm traveling. I'll try to remember to do this tho. I really love the idea!
    (3) Do you do mind exercises like reading or maybe a puzzle? Love them, and I sometimes worry about developing Alzheimer's, so I'm doing what I can to keep my mind sharp.
    (4) In your leisure time do you do things that interest you maybe a hobby? Yup, read, bible study, crafts, puzzles (on line word puzzles and jigsaw).

• jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Nope. I average about 6.5 hours. This is my biggest health issue at the moment. Need to find a new doctor.

Yes. Love to walk and enjoy the outdoors, when its enjoyable.

No. I may read a book when on business travel to pass time. My job requires me to read a lot though.

Again, love the outdoors. Fishing, walking or even just doing yard work. Also, like house plants.

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    linmueller wrote: »
    1) Do you feel you get enough sleep? Nope, but im working on it. I'm trying to get to bed (and lights out) by 11, and if I wake up before 7 I turn over and try to go back to sleep. I'm already feeling much better with just a few successful days this week and (including the last 2 in a row).
    (2) If you are walking do you reflect on what you see and hear enjoying your walk? Not walking right now, but when I do walk, I'm terrible at this unless I'm traveling. I'll try to remember to do this tho. I really love the idea!
    (3) Do you do mind exercises like reading or maybe a puzzle? Love them, and I sometimes worry about developing Alzheimer's, so I'm doing what I can to keep my mind sharp.
    (4) In your leisure time do you do things that interest you maybe a hobby? Yup, read, bible study, crafts, puzzles (on line word puzzles and jigsaw).

#4. My brother was diagnosed with early onset at 68 (lived to 81). I worried about that, until I blew past 68.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    @Al_Howard sorry about your brother, but glad you haven't followed suit. It seems like such a cruel disease 😪
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    1) Do you feel you get enough sleep? Sometimes, I do the early to bed early to rise lifestyle which should give me 7 - 8 hours, problem is a am a restless sleeper who gets up often to use the bathroom, so 6 hours a night of true sleep(per my fitbit) is usually all I can manage.
    (2) If you are walking do you reflect on what you see and hear enjoying your walk? Not often enough, I don't wear earphones of any kind but I frequently find my mind going to the trials and tribulations of the day.
    (3) Do you do mind exercises like reading or maybe a puzzle? Not really keep saying I should start then don't.
    (4) In your leisure time do you do things that interest you maybe a hobby? Nope same as # 3 above.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options

1) Do you feel you get enough sleep? Sometimes yes and often no

(2) If you are walking do you reflect on what you see and hear enjoying your walk? Absolutely I do I listen to all the birds and watch for eagle, baby ducklings, hummingbirds, coyotes and so much more.

I have difficulty reading at times but I do puzzles a lot like Sudoku.

I bike daily does that count? I also track down elusive dinosaurs worldwide when I can.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    podkey wrote: »
    I also track down elusive dinosaurs worldwide when I can.

Well then, you have come to the right place

• Jerdtrmndone
    Options
    podkey wrote: »

I bike daily does that count? I also track down elusive dinosaurs worldwide when I can.

Bike ridings a hobby and hunting down dinosaurs I believe comes under activity.

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Great concept and questions, @Jerdtrmndone . As I've learned more about my relationship with food, especially what triggers mindless eating, I've come to appreciate more and more the mind-body-spirit connection that influences my behavior.

As for the LTL questions:

1) Generally, I think I get enough sleep (between five and seven hours) to be rested and replenished for the following day. Pre-WW, I'm pretty sure I was pre-apnea, or there but hadn't been formally diagnosed. One of the benefits of weight loss has been getting much more quality of sleep because I'm not waking up 100 times a night. I think this is an important distinction from the number of hours slept. Ten hours of interrupted sleep wouldn't do nearly as much for me as five hours of steady-state sleeping.

2) Absolutely. I do my best to find places I'm going to enjoy walking. Much of the time, just because of limited time, I'm walking the dog while walking myself. As such, it's somewhat of a compromise between her pace and mine. She's a beagle mix, thus wants to smell EVERYthing! Obviously, that slows me down but it's a tradeoff I have to (choose to) make since using her brain actually wears her out. We walk outside in sparsely-trafficed areas. One of our new favorites is a nearby cemetery that has been certified by Audubon as a cooperative sanctuary so at least part of is quite a pleasant place to walk.

3) I don't do formal mind exercises. It might be something to consider for me...

4) I certainly do! I'm an avid bird and nature photographer. As someone with a natural resources background, I relish my time observing birds and wildlife in their natural habitats. The way things have worked out, most of my photography has been pretty close to home. I enjoy attempts to photograph relatively common critters in somewhat uncommon poses or situations. I don't think I'll ever tire of this hobby. I enjoy seeing these scenes whether or not I get a picture. The great thing is that since photography is really optimal early morning and late afternoon, I'm often out in the field during what used to be my prime eating times.