Day 1: beef challenge

Options
Worked a 10hr day. Consumed 45 oz of black coffee, a diet A&W rootbeer and a lime lacroix. Also, 3 cups of water.

Ate 3/4 of the ground beef I'd cooked. Had planned to eat all 4 patties, but am still too full from the three patties I consumed between 11am and 2pm (6 hrs ago) to eat the last one.

Some trace carbs I am sure from a little mustard I used.

Replies

• Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Well done! Interested in following your progress.

I love LaCroix.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Day 2:

10.5oz steak, rare.
    280g ground beef made intk ball shape and baked.

1 Kirkland lacroix knock off, 4 cups of black coffee.

It is so much easier to eat steak than ground beef.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Ground beef is boring without cheese. It can be gotten used to, but it takes a while.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ground beef with some mushrooms and sour cream is super yum
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Ground beef is boring without cheese. It can be gotten used to, but it takes a while.

Yeah, it's a challenge. I am being liberal and eating steak and ground beef my off days and sticking to ground beef on work days (when I can't fresh cook steak).

Next week, I might toss a chuck roast in the crock pot for some of my beef.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ground beef with some mushrooms and sour cream is super yum

... mushrooms are a grey area too. They aren't technically plants or animal. ;)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    how about ground beef burgers with mushrooms, sour cream, and Swiss cheese?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

That would defeat the spirit of the challenge. It's just the meat, and some seasoning. I do love burgers with mushrooms and Swiss cheese though
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    so...beef with tumeric and cumin...or smoked paprika and cumin...yum...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

That would defeat the spirit of the challenge. It's just the meat, and some seasoning. I do love burgers with mushrooms and Swiss cheese though
    I mean after the challenge or for those of us not on a challenge. I love Culver's (local fast food joint) Mushroom and Swiss burgers but I never thought about making my own until now since they were so high in fat. I definitely going to try making them soon, low carb style.

Garlic and onion powder are no brainers. I started using tarragon because it's high in vitamin b6 so you could try that. Ground sage also works with most meat.

One thing I do is put the ground beef on the plate after it's cooked and I pour the grease back over it. It really makes it tasty and I don't mind having just plain ground beef.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    so...beef with tumeric and cumin...or smoked paprika and cumin...yum...

Yeah, I make a homemade taco seasoning that I use. Cumin, garlic, black and red pepper, ancho chili powder, paprika. It's the bomb.

I think it's really that I love rare steak, but find the texture of rare ground beef a little off putting, so I cook it more, which tends to make for a dryer texture.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    3nd of day 4.

Consumed 10oz portion of rare steak Tips for lunch, then 350g or so ground beef for supper. Drank black coffee, a diet A&W rootbeer, a lime lacroix and water.

Appetite suppression remains real, as does a tendency towards very loose stools. However, I take magnesium for migraines (not one of the versions notorious as laxative), so I may need to back off the dose on that.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    If you make your burgers thinner in the middle you can get the center cooked without having to overcook the edges...for ground beef I like to cook it until it's brown, but still has some pink, and then pull it off the heat and let it just sit in the hot skillet (stirring occasionally) to finish cooking...it's not "rare" but it's not as dry as keeping it on the heat it all the way to done either.

Also, if you like the steak texture better than ground, but don't want to pay the steak price, try looking for beef tips or stew beef or kebob beef...those are usually similar to steak, but chunked into pieces and quite a bit cheaper because they are usually the scraps of the larger cuts.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    To improve the flavor of burgers, add some high quality garlic powder and sea salt/ground pepper.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    To improve the flavor of burgers, add some high quality garlic powder and sea salt/ground pepper.

Already do.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Day 5: 9oz of homemade steak Tips for lunch at work. Got off early because I had a 6.5hr drive ahead of me. Had a half pound burger waiting to be reheated and eaten before the drive. Turns out my 15yo ate it. It was delicious apparently. So I scarfed down 1/4lbish of good quality deli roast beef before we hit the road. When we stopped for gas, I bought the least adulterated beef steak snack I could get. It did have 2 carbs, but it was fully beef other than the seasonings.

All in all, will call that a win.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Day 6:

No beef.

Out of town, went to lunch at a breakfast place with my daughter. No beef. Went with two fried eggs, ham and bacon. Carnivorous at least.

Dinner, met up with friends. Ended up having nice, crispy, unbreaded hot wings. No ranch, no veg. Did consume three vodka and sodas. Not carnivorous, I know, but the fact of the matter is I am not going to abstain from alcohol for the rest of my life. That's not one of the changes I am going to make. I will restrict, and maybe make different choices, but it will not be eliminated from my life.

Tomorrow, back to ze beef. There may be a slice of cheese included, as it will be fast food on the drive home.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Got back to my beef. Stopped on the trip home for a Freddy's triple Steak burger (with cheese). It was delicious, but now it's 7pm and I am still not hungry and my only beef choices are : beef brat (3g carbs) or beef hot dog (2g carbs). Debating just having some eggs and calling it a day because I have to do better about getting calories in