Is there such a thing as cheat day?

So. I recently heard that "cheat days" should not be regarded as a reward because u lose focus... I personally feel there is some truth to it so how is it avoided or more in the lines of controlled. Suggestions welcomed...

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I feel like you need to have indulgences. Otherwise if you restrict them, and eat them, you might overindulge later. (or at least that's what happens to me). This is why the 80/20 rule is kind of nice. Eat good wholesome foods (while staying in your calories) 80% of the time, and have 20% of the time for treats. For me, I apply that to my day, instead of eating well 6 days and having a cheat day. Simply because I know I'll go hog wild on day 7 and have the potential to blow out my deficit. So having a small treat every day such as a piece of candy for dessert, or maybe some chips for my snack, helps me stay on track. (most of the time anyways :) )
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    I leave Friday nights open for my "cheat meal". Sometimes I'll still make the healthy choice other times I'll have that burger or pizza but I still eat slowly and stop when I'm full. That is the biggest lesson I had to learn as I would inhale the food and be overly full when done. Slow down, enjoy the food and stop when you start to feel full.
  • shortstrokestar
    shortstrokestar Posts: 1 Member
    Personally, it takes me about 2-3 days to get into ketosis, to where I am actually burning fat. I feel like if I cheat, I am cheating myself and that puts my end goal that much farther away from obtaining. I have lived a life of cheating myself from being healthy and a reasonable size, and that now is the time for me to stop the vicious cycle. Enough is enough. I am over being morbidly obese, in pain and always tired. Now I am taking back my life. :) but to each their own. Whatever works for you.
  • marycilec
    marycilec Posts: 31 Member
    I think you should not plan for cheat day, but when it happens, accept yourself. I average 1 cheat day out of 30, so not bad.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Find something other than food as a reward. That is something mothers teach babies that grow up to be obese. I know. It is hard to untangle the training. Now clean your plate and you can have dessert.
  • alliewynne
    alliewynne Posts: 2 Member
    I find that I get carried away on cheat days. Instead, I plan out cheat meals, or even just cheat items. If I know I'll be going out for a meal, I'll order healthy foods but splurge on a dessert or cocktail. The key for me is definitely planning, otherwise I'll eat an entire bag of chips on the couch under the guise of "cheat day" :p
  • Tracie_Lord
    Tracie_Lord Posts: 1,761 Member
    I feel like you need to have indulgences. Otherwise if you restrict them, and eat them, you might overindulge later. (or at least that's what happens to me). This is why the 80/20 rule is kind of nice. Eat good wholesome foods (while staying in your calories) 80% of the time, and have 20% of the time for treats. For me, I apply that to my day, instead of eating well 6 days and having a cheat day. Simply because I know I'll go hog wild on day 7 and have the potential to blow out my deficit. So having a small treat every day such as a piece of candy for dessert, or maybe some chips for my snack, helps me stay on track. (most of the time anyways :) )

This is exactly what I do I find if I can live by the 80/20 rule it works for me

Plus I firmly believe you need 'cheat' days to boost/confuse your metabolism otherwise your body gets used to sustaining as you provide it