People who push food.

Options
cl00bie
cl00bie Posts: 25 Member
I have just started keto today (well last night for dinner). I still have some food items like energy bars (that just killed my carbs for today) and chocolate covered ice cream bars that I'm going to work my way through and not buy any more.

Brings me to my main point. We have friends the wife of whom is Eastern European. She constantly pushes food on us when we go to her home for dinner, and when she serves it on our plate and we say "enough!" she continues to scoop more. I'm trying to figure out how I am going to navigate these dinners without offending her or hurting her feelings.

I know I can bulk up on salad, and take whatever meat is there (scraping off the breading if it's breaded) but just the general "no thank you" for most of what she cooks will not be understood, and I don't want to launch into "keto" and "ketosis" and "fat burning" and "bulking up on fat" discussion with her.

Any ideas?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I read your profile and I'd say being on 4 blood pressure meds could be included in the explanation if saying "No" does not work. You should be able to choose how you want to eat and if one cannot respect your health reasons don't go to their house.

Just don't be one of those people who has a new way of eating every week or month. I personally get a bit irritated by people who make a big deal about not eating something or eating a certain way...until they don't. I've watched the same individual make a huge deal in a restaurant about the need to be gluten free and then "busted" her one day eating pizza with the crust ;) Don't be that person. You lose a huge amount of credibility.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You have legitimate medical reasons to not have carbohydrates. Explain to her that you can’t eat the for those medical reasons. If she can’t respect that then she doesn’t have your best interest at heart. I would question a friend who couldn’t support you, and try to help you. If there is a friend who tries to sabotage you then I wouldn’t think they’re a true friend.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Don't feel obligated to eat something just because it is put on your plate. If you don't want to be confrontational, then you don't have to be, you aren't required to explain your eating habits to anyone. You can just talk and be social and push food around your plate if necessary, and eat the bits that fit your plan. If anyone comments on what you didn't eat just use the "I'm too full to eat more but it was delicious" line.

Different cultures view food differently, so she probably is just trying to show what a good hostess she is by having more than enough food available for everyone and by loading each plate with an overabundance of food. You aren't going to be able to change how she sees food if it's deeply ingrained in her already, so just do what you need to do to get around her habits.
  • figyello
    figyello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people how I eat but saying "No thanks, I'm full" works every time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Don't feel obligated to eat something just because it is put on your plate.

This. Whether you choose to put it into your mouth or not is all on you.
  • mrsskinny629
    mrsskinny629 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but if you just started last night, I would highly recommend you not work your way through that ice cream. If you're serious about getting started, I would donate them to your neighbor, or throw them in the trash. As far as your dinner outings, I agree with what was posted, don't feel obligated to eat everything on your plate. Good luck on your journey!
  • admckee486
    admckee486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually tell people ‘I’m on a special diet.’ That usually stops the food pushing. I’m sure they assume it’s medically mandated, and that’s okay with me.
    I’ve tried just saying ‘I’m on a diet’ before, and that doesn’t always stop them.