New and want to say hello

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
I've been on MFP for a few years now, mostly for maintenance, inspiration and to get workout/food ideas. I only really had a few pounds I wanted to get rid off, but I like logging and monitoring and reading the boards. In general, I'm in good health and have pretty good eating and fitness habits.

I've been suffering from digestive issues for about 8 months. Bloating, gas, discomfort and other things I won't mention. I've had a slew of tests and all turn up negative. The doctor advised me to try lactose-free for a week - that didn't help. Then he said I needed to try gluten-free. I dragged my feet on that, it seemed like such a big change and I needed to prepare for it. I also started doing some research on my own and have myself convinced that I have candida overgrowth. The diet to kill yeast eliminates sugars and refined carbs. So....

I'd read alot about Paleo - I love NerdFitness and Mark's Daily Apple - but never felt like I could commit to it. Now is the time to go for it! Kill the yeast, lose the gluten sensitivity, whatever it may be. I think my only difficulty is not wanting to entirely give up dairy. Dairy didn't appear to be my problem, so I guess I'm going more primal. Just greek yogurt and the occasional cheese.

I've done this for 8 days now (and also using a Candida support product, psyllium and probiotics) and aside from losing 5 pounds, I really do feel much better. No digestive issues so far and my tongue is pink again! I eliminated caffeine as well, and only missed my coffee the first day.

I know I'm not going to be perfect, I'll probably go back to coffee, and I've already had one glass of red wine. My goal is to feel better and try to "be good" at least 90% of the time. I'm glad I found this group. I'm hoping to learn from you all and also find some good recipes/food tips. Hubby is not doing this with me, so I'm trying to create meals where he can have what he likes, but I can eat most of as well. Before anyone says "let him cook his own meals" - we've been married for 28 years and I am the cook in the family!

So, that's my story. I can't wait to scan the boards and see how people manage this!

:smile:

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think it is very easy to prepare dinner for both of you. Perhaps make any dishes with grains a separate dish; use almonds or other nuts to coat meat. Eventually your husband might convert to paleo/primal too!
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! It's wonderful that you're giving this a shot! I don't think you'll regret it! I've been Primal for the past 2 years, and I'm never going back to the SAD. I do have the occasional cheat, bc who doesn't miss pizza after a while, but I try to moderate them as much as possible. Creating Primal versions of a lot of my favorite foods has helped as well. The 80/20 or 90/10 mentality really is the best approach (especially if you just need to maintain). Feel free to message me with any questions, and add me as a friend :)
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! :) Feel free to friend me too!