LC x ?

Options
sun_cat
sun_cat Posts: 114 Member
This may be the third or fourth time I've tried LC. I've lost track. The point is, I want it to be the last time. I want it to 'stick' this time. Each time I quit before, it wasn't because it didn't work - it worked fine. It was because I got mean. I was sure in no time I'd have no friends, or even no job if I didn't stop.

I thought it was just me - but reading Violet's thread, I realized it happens to other people, and if they stick it out, it eventually goes away. I'm still apprehensive about it. I've warned my husband - but my job is already on shaky ground, so the more I can minimize it, the better.

I have been at this for just at a week now with a goal of 100 grams total carbs to start with, which means very little change other than eliminating the big 'carb bombs'. I'm filling in my food diary so that I can get a picture of where the remaining carbs in my diet are (and how many calories I take in on average) and use that information when I feel it's time to reduce to a lower level.

So far, my body's been dropping water like crazy. Wednesday was especially interesting. I had to make half-hourly trips the the bathroom, and by the end of the day my legs were beginning to cramp and I could not get warm. I've read the tips, though, (these are excellent, btw) so I knew what to do and the next day my weight was up slightly, but I was warm and cramp-free.

My other step to improve my chances of success is to be more of an active participant on these boards - or at least read them more often - to benefit from the wisdom and camaraderie. Right now I'm sick - actually sick, not 'Keto Flu' - but I'm keeping to my carb level, and it gives me a chance to catch up on old posts here.

Round last, day 7

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You might want to try some probiotics or sauerkraut. These actually keep me in a better mood. I recommend bio-kult advanced probiotics. They are expensive but really strong. The sauerkraut should be raw and refrigerated, not pasteurized.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome welcome!! Sounds like this will be your last time @sun_cat!! Glad you’re aware of Keto flu and how to prevent that too!

Maybe going slowly will keep you from getting so emotional this time and you will do fine. Hugs hun!
  • sun_cat
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I actually have a head of cabbage I was going to make soup with - I think I'll turn it into sauerkraut instead.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been mostly keto for almost 4 years. Most because I have gone off plan a few times but I keep coming back. Over time, I seem to be able to come back to it faster and easier, and I dont go as far off plan. Healthier eating has become my norm and deviating makes me feel worse - that makes it easier to get back to it. ;)

It sounds like you are on a similar path. Even sticking to it while sick! Welcome back to lchf, and hope you feel better soon.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing sodium each time you try it? Low sodium can affect mood.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

Over the years, at least twice I've thought to myself that I "deserved" to eat "normally" or that "i had the hang of" this thing and found myself drifting away from logging, participating etc. A lot of us have been there, and a lot of us know what will stop us from going there again! Good for you taking steps to make sure you're successful in the long run. Viewing this as a way of eating, and a lifestyle has profoundly helped me.

For myself, I've really needed to focus on magnesium supplementation. I'm learning that I'm one of the few people for whom salt has a negative impact on blood pressure. However, the more I pay attention to my magnesium, the less sodium supplementation I need. The more I pay attention to my magnesium....the better everything is for me. Sleep, mood, body aches, The list goes on.

Pay attention to your body, test, track, and work to understand what it needs. It's a process to be sure but it's so worth it.
  • sun_cat
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I actually upped my magnesium and I feel like it's helping. Maybe that's the trick for me. Fingers crossed anyway.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yeah I upped my magnesium as well. It really helped. I’m going to read The Magnesium Miracle, which I had for a while now but put off reading.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I think one of the flaws in the way we think is the desire to find a one-size-fits-all diet plan. The one-size-fits-all never seems to fit very well at the store, and it does not seem to fit very well with my diet either. I committed to keto carb levels, but I have played around with everything else to find a happy place for me. FWIW, I am more satisfied with what I am eating when I get more protein, and my fat macro is lower than most. I am in maintenance these days. It took me two and a half years to lose the weight I wanted to lose, but I am happy with what I am eating, and it all seems to be sustainable, working, etc.
  • sun_cat
    Options
    I tend to be an over-achiever in most things - and diet has been no exception. Now I'm just trying to over-achieve my own personal best and ignore anyone else. But, two weeks in and though I haven't lost anything this week, I haven't growled at anyone either.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your question. The answers are helpful to me too.