Marching into spring or springing into March?

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,920 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
The frozen tundra of Canada is still tightly in the grip of the Snow-Meister. My driveway has thick packed ice; too heavy for me to break up and remove. The snow in my front yard is piled so high that I cannot see the street and my backyard is at the height of the 5' fence in most places...

Hard to imagine that the first day of Spring is March 20th... and that's less than three weeks away...

Has everyone had enough of winter yet? Please say yes!!

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Yes! As much as I hate the length of time it takes me to adjust to losing an hour of sleep, I am ready for some after work daylight time too!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    After my last couple visits to the ski resort, I'm wondering if I even want to drive back up there, but I'm not quite ready for all the "white water" up in the mountains melting, but when it does, there will be "whitewater" in the river for kayaking and rafting!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I'm holding fast to my notion that once the Snowdrops (Galanthus sp.) appear in my yard, it's Spring, *baby-feline* the date, weather and temperature. This year the first clump started blooming back in the first week of February, even here in the palm of Michigan's mitten. I take heart from the way they melt the snow around them, in order to bloom . . . quite clear, in this photo from Sunday 3/3.
    0qe7q4t1f3d0.jpg
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    It was 8 degrees here in Cincinnati. I'm moving Monday to Tucson, AZ. Lows in the 40s and highs in the 80s and sunny. Can't wait.

Flowers are just starting to bloom in Tucson. Should get there in plenty of time to see it.

Trying to talk the realtor (because a corporation owns it currently but I've already assumed utilities) into turning the pool filter on so it and the hot tub are ready to go when we get there.

Went to Home Depot to get some last minute items fixed for my house in Ohio that I'm renting. As soon as I walked in the door, a worker says "you ready for the snow storm??". Yeah, bring it on, I said. He looked at my like I was nuts...
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Lovely flower and a very interesting link. I've not done much astrology but I find it neat.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    More astronomy than astrology. Just cool things to look for in the sky. What you may attribute them to is a whole other picnic basket.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    More astronomy than astrology. Just cool things to look for in the sky. What you may attribute them to is a whole other picnic basket.

AutoCorrect to the rescue... although astrology involves the stars too, right?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Absolutely. And in fact, there are constellations indicated in the chart. Those are closely related to astrology. I thought it was cool there was a person with a telescope in the center.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

AutoCorrect to the rescue... although astrology involves the stars too, right?

Unless I’m mistaken astrology involves stars and nuts.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Now you're thinking about breakfast cereal :o
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Now you're thinking about breakfast cereal :o
    Does it have multicolour marshmallows?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Red giant stars, purple moons, and caesious asteroids. Mmmmm...... asteroids.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Red giant stars, purple moons, and caesious asteroids. Mmmmm...... asteroids.

Our local (large, public, research) University has a monthly series at an entertainment venue (one of those places that opens only when there's a small musical performance or somesuch) called "Astronomy on Tap". There's a cash bar with good beer on tap (+ other drink options), you can bring in food if you like, then a couple of speakers from the university (often grad students or post-docs, occasionally undergrads or profs) each do a 15-minute presentation on an astronomy topic (very diverse), with Powerpoint/photos. (Examples: Ancient astronomy, first extragalactic supernova, galaxy clusters, space-station science).

You can ask the presenters questions (small enough audience that anyone can play . . . maybe 100-150 people, in a big room, with tables?). During an intermission between speakers, they gather donations to cover event costs, bringing around a cardboard box where you "vote" with money for one of a couple fun astronomy/science related options (Example: Bill Nye vs. Neil DeGrasse Tyson).

Throughout, there's a trivia quiz you do on your phone (most questions from the presentations), and at the end they use a randomizer to "draw names" from those who finish it, and then hand out wacky astronomy-related prizes to most winners, but also a gift certificate to the bar and a related restaurant. (The donations cover the prizes, mostly. Speakers volunteer.)

I skipped it over the Winter (downtown venue, distant parking . . . bad weather, and a bit of hesitancy about walking distances alone downtown at night in the dark - sometimes I have to park where no one is around.) But I'll go back in Spring when daylight improves. So fun!

There's also a "Biology on Tap" even that has had some great topics, but it's on a night that conflicts with my rowing team. :(