Baking soda... Tastes HORRIFIC since starting Keto

Options
itzcath
itzcath Posts: 94 Member
I have been eating keto now for over a year and it seems every time I use baking soda in a recipe it makes the food smell & taste completely rancid....like wow.

The smell to me is very similar to spoiled ground flax (that smells like rotting fish due to the Omega oils).

I baked a few things and brought them for other people to try and was told they smell and taste fine (as I stand back and make faces while they eat it).

Anyone else encountered this since starting keto?

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I remember trying Whole earth stevia/monk fruit sweetener before keto and it tasted horrible. Tried it again after being keto and now fat adapted and love the stuff. 1 Packet sweetens better than sugar.
  • itzcath
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I couldn't stand erythritol either when I first started keto.The minty, cooling effect it has in the mouth seriously drove me bonkers. Now I don't even notice it anymore, how that's even possible I have NO idea.

Last time I tried liquid stevia it tasted like Buckley's cough medicine (the ad that says, it tastes horrible but it works) I should dig it out of the cupboard, maybe by some miracle it might not taste so bad anymore (but I'm not counting on it)
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    About a month back, I tried to make keto donuts. This was my second recipe attempt, first was in the oven. This one required frying and I figured they may turn out better fried. Only trouble being it had to be in sunflower/veg oil which I wasn't too keen on using since trans fat. Had sunflower oil for when neighbours wanted chips with a meal (group meal with them each week).
    So anyway, cooked these up and had a couple bites. Now, apart from them not cooking all the way through despite cooking for plenty of time at the correct temp range, I found them sickening.
    I only sampled the crispy outside, the batter tasted fine but of course the oil taste was there. I used to love the taste of sunflower oil. Now it's revolting. Guess my body just understands what's pretty much poison now and lets me know. I've pretty much given up on donut alternative and save it for cheat. Even then I go for the oven baked type. Don't want anything fried in trans fat again.

I don't often use baking soda (though I do use baking powder which is partially soda I believe), so I'll have to see if my body see's it like poison like yours seems to.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My tastes buds have changed too. Before Keto "very, very mild" was my spicy limit. Now I crave spicy and I'm adding hot sauce to everything.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Taste is a funny thing because mine keeps changing on me as well. I too think after 4.5 years my body sometimes is trying to tell me, Hey buddy don't start putting that crap in me again. :)
  • itzcath
    Options
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    About a month back, I tried to make keto donuts. This was my second recipe attempt, first was in the oven. This one required frying and I figured they may turn out better fried. Only trouble being it had to be in sunflower/veg oil which I wasn't too keen on using since trans fat. Had sunflower oil for when neighbours wanted chips with a meal (group meal with them each week).
    So anyway, cooked these up and had a couple bites. Now, apart from them not cooking all the way through despite cooking for plenty of time at the correct temp range, I found them sickening.
    I only sampled the crispy outside, the batter tasted fine but of course the oil taste was there. I used to love the taste of sunflower oil. Now it's revolting. Guess my body just understands what's pretty much poison now and lets me know. I've pretty much given up on donut alternative and save it for cheat. Even then I go for the oven baked type. Don't want anything fried in trans fat again.

I don't often use baking soda (though I do use baking powder which is partially soda I believe), so I'll have to see if my body see's it like poison like yours seems to.

I can't stand the taste or tolerate any polysaturated oils either anymore aside from now knowing our bodies can't really process them. Polysaturated oils are all processed with heat and chemicals. Genetically modified Canola oil is at the top of that list. Canola seed was poison until they messed with it and was initially used to lubricate machinery. Processing those oils led to transfats, a byproduct of the chemical processing that they told us was healthy and put in everything....for years...and told us it was good for us.

Don't know if polysaturated oil will ever be banned like trans fats because it's traded so heavily on the stock market and used by multi-million dollar companies but sure as sh*+ it's not in my kitchen anymore.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I always thought baking soda tasted like crap before Keto. Used to use it to flame out my heartburn, which since going Keto, is non-existent.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Growing up my mother always had margarine in the house for us to use. I only had butter once at my grandparents house and I think it had gone bad because it was horrific. Sometime after I got married I decided to start using real butter instead of margarine and I have never gone back. Tried margarine one day at my brother's because that's all there was and thought I would vomit......Uuuugh!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I never liked baking soda all that much anyway. Always used baking powder.

What really tastes different now is the few veggies I eat all SUPER sweet tasting to me now. So I end up using plenty of salt on them, never have to worry about getting my sodium in during the day.