Transitioning from 3x a week to daily?

asalembier
asalembier Posts: 124 Member
I am probably nowhere near the stage, but some days I want to run daily, instead of resting in between.

At what point can you safely run every day or 6x a week?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I did C25K in 2011 and did it 5-6 days a week from the start. I just did each workout twice, which was good if I didn't do all the running the first time because I had a second chance. I understand that it's not for everyone, but I am an all-or-nothing kind of person!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Finish the program first. The program will get you to a 3 day base, at which you can start to break off. The big thing is going to be consistant weeks. By the end of the C25K program you should be around 8-9 miles per week. Remember the golden rule of 10% increase. That increase refers to the total mileage (or you can go with time as well) of the week.

The big thing is going to be adding onto your base week. You will need to decide what your base mileage will be. General base averages are about 15-20 miles a week. There are plenty base building programs out there to do. But you don't want to go from running 3 days a week to 6 days a week over night. Add the days on slowly. It should take you about 3 months after finishing C25K to get up to 6 days a week running. That is adding one extra day of running each month.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    I started doing it every other day. Then when I moved from week 4 to week 5 I did back to back runs on Saturday and Sunday. One on Saturday morning and the other on Sunday evening. From here on out I'll do a run on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
    I should note that I was walking daily for long periods of time before I started C25k so I'm used to being out every day. I'm also transitioning to a beginners half marathon training plan as soon as C25k ends. I've done half marathons before but always as a walker. This year I was just trying to do it faster.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I'm just going to second rduhlir.