draining fat off of hamburger - yay or nay?

Options
zanyterp
zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
ok. i know this is an odd question, considering where i am posting, but i am conflicted (and figure it comes down to "what works for me & my family," but wanted to get opinions of others as well: when i cook hamburger for things like tacos, casseroles, etc the recipe almost always calls for draining off the fat. until recently (even after staring keto), i have done this thinking it was for allowing the seasonings to soak in and simmer/soak into the meat…but now i am not sure that is the reason. after listening to 2ketodudes, i am wondering if it is tied to the myth that eating fat makes us fat rather than a benefit to the recipe/flavor itself.

do you continue to drain the grease & toss it (or have a way to save it for use later)? do you use it as seasoning and try to let it simmer/reduce with the meat & seasoning just as you would with water?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I save bacon fat. Always have. My Mom and grandma always did also. In fact, most people I know save at least a little to season something at sometime: Green beans, collards, cabbage, fried eggs, hot bacon dressing for a spinach salad.

I don't save other fats and often drain the fat (as with taco meat) or spoon/skim the grease off something such as simmering spaghetti sauce or chili.

On the other hand I often save a little chicken fat (schmaltz?) to make gravy.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I dont drain hamburger. I do drain my bacon and keep some on hand like @kpk54 said its great for seasoning many things.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I do still drain the fat from the hamburger only because my family is eating it too and it grosses them out when I’ve tried to leave it in.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I don’t drain ground beef or pork, just keep the fat in whatever I am cooking. If cooking bacon, I leave the fat in, unless cooking large quantities of bacon. In that case, I always save the fat in a jar for cooking with later.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I drain everything...I have enough fat already on me, I don't need the extra, plus I just don't like the super greasy texture...and the dog loves it over his food...and he's old so he's a bit spoiled.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you all for your thoughts & help
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you :), @Sunny_Bunny_
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I am using it for and what kind of beef it is. If I have grass fed beef then I'll probably leave it in because of the better Omega 3/Omega 6 ratio.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer to buy 85 or 90% lean beef also. There’s still plenty of fat and I often add cheese so I don’t need to add fat to my fat

Ditto. A lot of times the meat I buy is more lean than that, like 93/7. I even trim most of the fat caps off my briskets and pork when I'm firing up the smoker or making carnitas.

I do occasionally save and filter a bit of bacon grease, it's good for seasoning my cast iron pans or seasoning greens but I don't go crazy with it.