Cramps and Supplementation

Options
swezeytba
swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
Hi peeps....Just wanted to get your thoughts on something. Been away from keto for awhile. It was kind of a slow dropping off process and any reasons that I had would literally just be excuses so I won't drag you through them.

Back on keto as of Monday (daughter as well) and of course wondering why I ever strayed...LOL.

The one and only problem I've really ever had on Keto is cramps. Legs and toes and arches. They are severe. There have been times I thought my toe would tighten up so far it would touch the top of my foot.

Ever since I first started keto I got on magnesium pretty quick and I never stopped supplementing that even when I fell off the wagon because I liked what it did for me. I take 300 mg morning and night so 600 mg daily. When on the SAD diet I don't have a problem with cramps except rarely.

I don't like to supplement potassium because I did that one time and thought my heart was going to race right out of my chest. I do have some lite salt.

Monday was great. Yesterday mid morning I got a screaming headache so drank some salt water and it went away......Came back with a vengeance last night and finally had to take an Advil when I woke up this morning and it was still there. Then lo and behold I had to jump out of bed with a cramp in my right calf.

What do you guys think? Do I need to up my magnesium or just get more salt? And should I just use the regular table salt or the lite salt?

Let me know your thoughts~

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like sea salt or pink salt for supplementation, and I would say definitely more on the salt...you need way more salt on keto than on SAD.

If you up the salt (double or triple whatever your current intake is) and that doesn't resolve the issue, then maybe try a 3rd magnesium per day, but I'm guessing the salt will do the trick because the extra salt will help you retain the magnesium you are already taking.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Thanks @tcunbeliever . I agree with your thoughts. My only thought was maybe my body has gotten so used to this dose of magnesium that I might need more. But definitely needing to up my salt. Just went a bit ago and chugged some in a small bit of water and feeling better again already. Just need to be consistent with it instead of waiting until I have a raging headache....LOL... :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is water soluble, so no matter how much you ingest, you aren't able to store it if you aren't also storing water. Ingesting more without the addition of salt is probably just going to result in expensive pee.

Definitely no reason to wait until you feel bad, way better to stay on top of it and not feel that way.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree with @tcunbeliever consistent salt intake is vital to getting back to it, and increasing the magnesium isn’t going to hurt anything either!

Welcome back!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to get the cramps mainly at night in bed so I use a magnesium sleep cream and it is amazing. I haven't actually had cramps for months now but I find having a cube stock everyday helps that.
  • swezeytba
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thanks @KarlaYP !
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Thanks @ironmaidenchick . I really need to try a topical cream. Don't know why I'm so resistant to trying new stuff....LOL
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did two things that helped me.
    1) Each afternoon I have a cup of chicken soup (hot water, chicken cube and a table spoon of heavy whipping cream) I get in more salt and it feels like a treat.
    2) In the evening while I'm watching the tv I soak my feet in a tub/bucket/saucepan of hot water and epsom salts (2 cups).
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I take mag and use mag oil on my feet every night. I used to get evil Charley horses in my feet in the middle of the night without it.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Thanks @KetoZandra.....I never thought about adding heavy cream to the chicken cube. That would probably make it great.

Thanks @baconslave . I think I'm definitely going to get some mag oil or cream and give it a try!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ditto all of the above. I used to get severe cramps at night in bed: toes, calves, arches, and even ankles!!!

I religiously take magnesium supplements in the evening; drink broth in the afternoons, wear socks to bed, try to walk uphill at least 3x/week and keep a heating pad under the bed for emergency relief. I also find if I go on a "carb binge" the cramps return. Although even knowing that I sometimes still lose carb control :(
  • swezeytba
    Options
    I know I could use more walking/exercise/activity across the board. My desk job is doing me no good in that respect.