How to increase metabolism

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
Has anyone started and stopped keto several times in the past few years and found the the weight comes of slower and slower each time?? And NOT because starting weight is lower, cuz it isn't unfortunately... How can I get my old high metabolism back??? I'm not even 30 yet!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Hope your new job is going well.

Maybe hit the gym/weights and build some muscle? Muscle burns far more calories.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My metabolism really started to drop off right around 25, unfortunately. I think it's just a "thing". :( And, now as a 40 year old, it's all downhill from there.

Like previously mentioned, try building muscle. If you don't have time for the gym, look on youtube for pilates videos. Try very vigorous/intense exercises that suit you, such as classes at the gym, running, intense biking, or swimming.

Also make sure your protein intake is where it should be.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    For anyone for whom time or money is a constraint: both "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Convict Conditioning" would be great options. A great deal of info can be found on line and there are probably apps for both as well as youtube videos.

That is truly a "do as I say" comment <LOL> because I have always really hated calisthenics of any sort. I was listening to a Dr. Ted Naimen video this AM. He's not my favorite low carb guy but he mentioned Convict Conditioning and I think his position on exercise is pretty spot on.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Progressive Overload, and HIIT are the only two things that have been found in repeated studies to boost metabolism...at least from what I have read.

PO will build muscle, a greater lean body mass burns more calories, even at rest, even at low levels of activity, even at high levels of activity, all the time, muscle requires more resources to maintain than fat does.

HIIT (not just interval training, but true high-intensity intervals like sprints and such) seems to boost metabolism for hours and hours even after you stop working out, though I don't really understand the mechanism behind that myself.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Hope your new job is going well.

Maybe hit the gym/weights and build some muscle? Muscle burns far more calories.

Thx! New job is paying well, I'm not really "doing" anything as of yet LOL! Still waiting for my first project.