A First step!

Options
Hi, from Sydney, Australia.

I've 'dabbled' in Yoga on and off for a while now - used to do a regular session of Bikram's Yoga many moons ago - but now wanting to get back into a regular practice. I'm a 53 year young male - 113Ks and 154cm ... I affectionaly call myself a Hobbit! Decided it was time to SERIOUSLY consider looking after my weight and health and want to include Yoga in this new journey.

Any advice on which asanas that I could start to ease myself into a regular practice? For a number of reasons I'm not at this time able to attend a class.

Looking forward to being involved in this Community.
Namaste!

Replies

• auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think that sun salutations are always good (and can be modified) . Also look on youtube for yoga for beginners classes (there are tons of them and they're all free). I really like yogayak's channel. doyouyoga.com has a 30 day free yoga challenge (available on the website or on youtube) with videos that are anywhere from 10-20 minutes long.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Romani53
    Options
    Auntsammy88... Many thanks for these suggestions and your good wishes. Suryanamaskar is definitely on my 'ease into it' list. Smile. And for sure I'll check out the others.

Have a blessed day!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,787 Member
    Options
    I noticed one of your aspirations is to be a yoga teacher. I know you said that classes are not an option at this time - none at all? Can you not attend one a month or one a week? I think an interesting thing to do would be to attend a class, then try to repeat that class the next day at home. Notice what other poses you would want to do in that routine. If you truly cannot attend any classes, you can try the same thing with videos. I would get some from the library. Notice what styles you like and which ones you don't.

You could also work out of a book - shocking, I know. I only know the Iyengar method based books, so maybe someone else could recommend another style as well. Iyengar Yoga for Holistic Health has loads of pictures from different angles. Also, Yoga the Iyengar Way is a great book with tons of pictures.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    liked how you described yourself as " 53 year young male ".. anyway. try flow class. and check out youtube vids. there are tons of them, see which kinds you like.